doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts CSMC Superlight? - 11/16/21 03:25 PM
Anyone here seen anything online about this new offering? Friend said he saw an ad in Sporting Classics magazine about it.
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/16/21 11:50 PM
Guess not...
JR
Posted By: canvasback Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 12:27 AM
According to info on another forum, they aren’t light.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 04:13 AM
Another Rizzini clone from CSM.
JR
Posted By: eightbore Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 03:34 PM
A Rizzini clone would suggest the Inverness model. It is already pretty light. No, I have not seen the ad.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 03:36 PM
A superlight what? RBL or o/u?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 04:14 PM
O/U. From The Upland Journal:
https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/83084-csm-superlight/
JR
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 04:20 PM
In this time of migration away from lead, what is it that you think can actually be done with a shotgun that was hoped to be usable for the next 50 years?

There are only so many parts in a shotgun.

The barrels represent the bulk of the mass.

The ends of the barrels have to be able to withstand the bridging of steel shot, and coated to withstand abrasion from pellets that are harder than steel (tungsten).

I’m just curious what the readership’s expectations are?
Is it some new alloy, or technical break through that upends the world gun market?

I don’t think anybody would buy one if the furniture was carbon fiber.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 05:55 PM
Your link goes to the private playground over there. Not for public access.
Posted By: vikingny Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 08:45 PM
It is built on the same Revelation action which is adapted from the Inverness. Engraving and better wood. It's intended to harken the Browning Superlight. Even the font in the ad is similar.
Posted By: canvasback Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
A Rizzini clone would suggest the Inverness model. It is already pretty light. No, I have not seen the ad.

6 1/4 pounds in a 20 gauge. I don't call that light for the gauge.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 09:41 PM
My Citori Superlight has 26 inch barrels which are OK in the thick stuff I guess, it has a slender stock no different than other lightweight Brownings slender schnabel forend, and it’s over 6 pounds.

There are some Beretta’s with short barrels that might come in at less, but not much.

There’s only so much material to take out.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 11:05 PM
My early Beretta 687 (fixed chokes) in 20 gauge, 28 inch barrels, weighs 5 pounds 15 ounces.
S56e in 20 gauge was lighter than that.
6 1/4 pounds in 20 gauge is not particularly light to me.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 11:13 PM
You running steel through that Beretta?
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/17/21 11:49 PM
Obviously, not using steel shot in a fixed choke older gun.
Why would you want to shoot steel in a really light upland gun?
I'll shoot Bismuth for any non-toxic shot required.
A few boxes of Bismuth shot loads, or handloaded, are no big deal with the price of fuel, accommodation, and other costs of hunting these days.
Light is an absolute criteria. It's light or it's not.
My choice doesn't have to be anyone else's.
Posted By: canvasback Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/18/21 12:31 AM
I have two 12 gauge that are 6 1/4 pounds. One with 25.5” barrels and one with 29.5” barrels. My 20 gauge guns, both 26” barrels are at or under 5 3/4”

6 1/4 pounds may be a fine weight for a 20 gauge but it’s not a super light gun.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/18/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts

John,
Can not open your sight. Please share more information on this new offering. CSMC has nothing on there home page

Rich
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/18/21 01:56 PM
A quick scan of the modern shotgun marketplace shows no 20 gauge monoblock double shotguns listed at less than 6 lbs.

Too bad the UJ link is into the private area over there.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
A quick scan of the modern shotgun marketplace shows no 20 gauge monoblock double shotguns listed at less than 6 lbs.

Check the other thread you started about barrel sets. A quick scan shows at least three already posted ....... a FAIR Iside, a Beretta 686 and a Yildiz. Not to mention the Verney-Carron AZUR, which may or may not be considered a "modern" doublegun, IDK.

Actual examples often weigh in much less than what they're "listed" at in the company's advertising.
Posted By: MrCrockett Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 04:05 AM
The superlight is now on the csmc website. When it comes to construcion, csmc leaves out some of the details. Their photos are all the same. They show the stock l an r side, wrist l an r, receivers both sides and bottom and the same for the forearm, and one shot of the whole gun from a distance. It is the same with each model. I say this because I bought a revelation from them from the pictures (and a nice review), and they sent me a few more before I purchased it. It's a real pretty gun, an excellent shooter. The mid rib though, looks strange to me. It's totally flat on the sides, and when the forearm is removed, you can clearly see that it is an extruded (?) I beam and open ended. It is soldered at the muzzle, but how far back is a mystery.
I've looked closely at all the pictures of the other models right up the line to the inveness including the superlight, and they appear to have the same rib. I don't know if they are left open under the forearm. The sidelocks and the Christian Hunter appear to be concave along the barrels; more traditional looking. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this type of barrell construction. I've asked csmc about this via email more than once with no reply.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 12:32 PM
Thanks for the update

I had a chance to visit the website, and the shotgun looks exactly as I had expected.

5000 for crappy laser engraving when their other products similarly made were half that price is a stretch. But,Supply chain interruptions seem to have raise the price of everything.

I have seen that slender stock configuration on other CSMC products, and people will like the lack of beef on the tail end.
Posted By: Buzz Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 03:05 PM
Looks like they may have copied the Browning superposed pointer engraving pattern….holy cow.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 03:14 PM
If it had the same moment of inertia as the original, or, if that was adjustable via removable weights,

Would it be an accurate depiction of the $25,000, Belgian Superlight?

I’m pretty sure CSMC has any kind of wood grade that your heart could desire.

Can they reproduce the dynamics?
Posted By: Buzz Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 03:41 PM
No way…….another one of their whatever’s.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 04:39 PM
That reply suggests prior experience or social media sharing of dis satisfaction with CSMC influences your reply? Is that correct?

I’m curious mostly because I’ve enjoyed wearing the finish off my Citori Superlight, enjoy shooting the box lock Browning sxs, and I can see a place in the market for an American made Browning Superlight clone, if it were done well.

CSMC provides a number of well finished guns to RGS banquets, and the straight grip suits me.
The vertical , tight radius, pistol grip on many of their guns is a no go for me. Too small, too tight.
I’m surprised that at that price point they don’t throw in a hundred bucks worth of hand chased engraving, just to say it is.

I would probably prefer their Superlight blued as opposed to grayed.
But they are cloning the Browning aesthete.
Posted By: eightbore Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 04:44 PM
6 pounds and a quarter in the ad. I will weigh my Inverness to compare.
Posted By: ed good Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 04:52 PM
eight, my condo lent sez...them invernesses are ah dog on the used doublegon market...you can thank csmc for dat, cumin out wid ah cheap copy at half the price... cant member watt day call it, but youse no watt ah mean...
Posted By: eightbore Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/19/21 05:14 PM
Yup, I'm making an appointment to have myself slapped silly for buying that overpriced Inverness gun. If I had any money left, I would buy one of those lower priced CSMC Superlights.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/20/21 01:55 AM
So it appears it’s a dressed up Revelation to resemble a pointer grade. Who shots a Revelation? Would like to hear your thoughts on how the Revelation handles, wood to metal fit, any issues and if you would recommend the gun.

For $2,300 more for this new CSCM superlight. The bargain appears to be a Revelation.

Rich
Posted By: eightbore Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/20/21 04:31 PM
Kind of like on a Parker Repro. I would pay extra for the "no engraving" option. In fact, I prefer a Belgian Browning Superposed A-1 Grade or Superlight over the standard Grade 1 engraving.
Posted By: MrCrockett Re: CSMC Superlight? - 11/21/21 03:09 AM
I have a revelation; I bought it when they were 1995:00 and they threw in a decent leatherette covered negrini-ish case. The gun has a nicely figured straight stock - no cast but very thin in the cheek which is as good as an eigth cast for a righty or lefty. The whole gun is very slim. The wood to metal fit is fine. All in all, it a fast handling piece and a blast to shoot at clays in my back yard and at the club. I haven't hunted it yet but I think it's going to be a great quail gun. On the down side, I had to clean the rust out of the dry ejectors before it operated correctly. Also under the forearm you'll notice the rib is open between the barrels so you'll have to keep an eye on that to keep out too much moisture. Another feature is the hand rubbed oil finish. I don't know what formula they use, but it's a high gloss and is very well done; not tru oil like some of the higher pticed guns. Oh, and the rib though straight, flat and true, is not file cut or machined, but appears embossed. My barrels and trigger guard arre polished to a fair and attractive gloss. They usually have some polished available, but advertise the piece as matte finish.
On the other hand, I broke 45 of 50 last Sunday with my straight stocked single trigger 28in Italian sxs in my back yard (quartering crossers from both sides and away birds) and enjoyed that gun above all my others including the 30in csmc.
I wanted an American gun though and the revelation is what I was willing to swing pricewise.
DB Crockett

P.S. you probably can't get as nicely figured wood as I got for the 2495:00 that they charge now, but the upgrades look very nice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com