doublegunshop.com - home
If you play around sxs shotguns long enough, you will eventually wind up with 2.5” and 2” chambered 12 ga guns. With the current ammo shortage, it’s hard to keep feeding 2-3/4” guns, much less short chambered guns. But I’ve noticed that 28 ga, is readily available. I suppose few here shoot 28s. I’ve been buying 28ga Win AAs and Federals at walmart for about $11 a box. So I thought it might be worth it to get 12/28ga chamber inserts for short guns and shoot 28s in them. So far, I’ve found Briley and a couple others make inserts, but they are made to fit 2-3/4” chambers. Would anyone know of a source for inserts for 2” and 2.5” guns?
cut erm down to size?

sorta like as ah sum times due to sum o dee mal contents dat sum time freak quint dis hear fine doublegon web site...
I'm sure Briley would make sub gauge tubes to fit any 12 gauge, regardless of chamber length. Kolar insists on modifying your 12 gauge chambers to accommodate their tubes.
or buy a pair of these and cut to fit your needs...

https://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to-28-gauge-scavenger-series/
It's hard to believe that you would get useful pattern performance from a 28 gauge wad and shot column bumbling down a 12 gauge bore.
Briley won't have anything to do with tubes in short chambered guns.
I used to have a set of 25 plastic 12 to 20ga adaptors that I'd preload for a round of skeet, They worked perfect, my 20ga round would mimic my 12ga scores, I used 24gram in my 12ga and 7/8oz in the 20ga. This was 40 years ago.
Briley won’t make them for 2” guns. They offered to open the chambers to 2-3/4”. No thank you.

Those gun adapters could be turned down I suppose, but I can’t think of a way to hold them. Maybe an expanding collet inside the chamber.
I emailed Briley to ask about tubing a gun with chambers shorter than 2 3/4". They said what Mark said, we will rechamber your gun to 2 3/4". Funny, they have tubed short chamber guns for me and never mentioned rechambering to 2 3/4", nor did they ever charge me to do it. Strange.
I think a shorter chamber adapter will be a problem in that the front of the 28 gauge hull will open in front of the shorter adapter and be very difficult to remove. I encountered this when I shortened a 10/12 adapter to fit the shorter 10 gauge chamber.
Ughh, (chills down my spine....)

Originally Posted by Vol423
Briley won’t make them for 2” guns. They offered to open the chambers to 2-3/4”. No thank you.
Joe, I would not shorten the adapter. I would turn them down to a diameter that will fit in the shorter chamber. When a shop where I worked discarded a Briley display with several single tubes, I turned the individual tubes into sub gauge tubes for single trap guns. Turning a bit of metal off the front of the chamber area was a piece of cake.
Eightbore,I should have thought of that. Might have worked. Too late now. Good tip.
I shoot Chambermate 12/20 adapters in a Brit twist hammer gun with 2-1/2" chambers, works fine. Might be because the nose of the adapter slides into the 12ga forcing cone, not sure. I have been using mostly 2-1/2" 20ga black powder loads, but have used some regular 20ga 2-3/4 promo loads with no issues.

When I was looking for a way to shoot 20ga shells in an old 16ga SxS, Ivory Beads told me that I could cut down a set of the old GaugeMate Silvers to fit the short 16ga chambers, but I never got around to buying the GaugeMates.

ChamberMates and GaugeMates are both long gone, but sets turn up occasionally.
I have used short chamber adapters for over 30 years now and love the results. I have adapters from 4 gauge all the way down to .410. They pattern very well and use them for both clays and bird hunting. The 4 and 8 gauge adapters are of course custom made but from 10 gauge to .410 you can buy them online from many different sources. Most sets are around $40. I have found that short chamber adapters perform as well as full length tubes out to 25 yards.
I thought I was buying a 28ga at auction from Rock Island a few years ago. Turned out to be a 24ga. I particularly didn’t want to use 24ga shells. So I had a gunsmith/machinist chamber sleeve to 28ga. The best double I shoot period.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com