doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Steve Helsley Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/14/21 04:00 AM
For cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner - what's the best additive? Will be cleaning SxS parts.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/14/21 04:26 AM
Dawn dish soap.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/14/21 08:31 PM
Be very wary of the cleaning additives supplied for US cleaners. They are REALLY good at removing any oxides including hardening colour!!!! I stripped an action and parts of all colour the first time through and haven't made the same mistake since!
The chemicals are great for jewellery but not so well advised for gun parts!
I use good old dishwasher powder or even washing-up liquid.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/14/21 11:40 PM
Le Fusil & Toby - thank you.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 11:17 AM
Distilled water is probably a good idea if your water has minerals that may discolor your project.
Posted By: damascus Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 11:20 AM
I have always used Biological Laundry detergent powder or liquid both work well.
Posted By: SKB Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 11:27 AM
I use Creststone 235 diluted, it works very well and is easy on the finish.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 11:57 AM
I hate to show my ignorance, but can you put the entire action in the ultrasonic cleaner machine or does it have to be taken to pieces? Some of us are better than others using a turnscrew (screwdriver). I’m at high risk for buggering a screw, sadly. BTW, which machine would one recommend? I’ve looked at the Lyman 2500 and Lyman 6000.
Posted By: Mike Covington Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 03:18 PM
I fill my Lyman 6000 with distilled water which I drain back into the jug once done. I use Simple Green properly diluted. The part(s) to be cleaned go into a good zip-lock bag with the diluted simple green. Once done I empty the cleaning solution, clean the bag, then spray the part(s) with QD Electronic Cleaner, blow off the remaining residue, then spray the part(s) with CLP, blow off the residue, then wipe dry and let the part(s) air dry for a few hours. I do suggest you use the basket that comes with the ultrasonic cleaner.

Do you fellas use the heater function of your ultrasonic cleaner?

Next time I'll try using Dawn vs SG.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/15/21 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Buzz
I hate to show my ignorance, but can you put the entire action in the ultrasonic cleaner machine or does it have to be taken to pieces? Some of us are better than others using a turnscrew (screwdriver). I’m at high risk for buggering a screw, sadly. BTW, which machine would one recommend? I’ve looked at the Lyman 2500 and Lyman 6000.

Buzz, I too hate to take a complete action apart. I’ve had good luck putting the entire action in the cleaner. I’ll run my Lyman a couple or three eight minute cycles and then take out and rinse under hot tap water, shake out well and then put it under a hot light (200 watt shop light) and dry it. I lubricate lightly all parts and depend on the wicking of the oil to lubricate the hidden parts. Works well for me. And a very good gunsmith put me onto this, he does the same thing when cleaning actions. To each his own….
Posted By: Buzz Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 12:40 PM
Thx Joe. I’m taking risk re screws just getting the stock off with a screwdriver, let alone an action dismantle. A gunsmith I’m probably not…..
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 01:06 PM
If I might ask, while we're in a discussion about ultrasonic cleaners, who has owned and used a Harbor Freight unit? Pros ... cons?

I'm planning on purchasing an ultrasonic cleaner, mostly for doublegun actions, and want the best bang for the buck, but don't really want to spend $600 or more on a unit I likely won't use but a few times a year.
Posted By: GLS Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 01:23 PM
Stan, I have a small unit I use for cleaning small bits. Tank is only 3.5" by 5.75" but it works as intended. The 2.5 liter unit for $85 should suit you. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. Amazon has a similarly priced 3 liter unit and if it doesn't suit you, send it back. Gil
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 02:16 PM
There are people on YouTube that test all the various ultrasonic cleaners.

For shotgun actions you don’t need a multiple wave source ultrasonic cleaner.

I like the heater, and I just run multiple cycles changing the soapy water.

They will clean an action cleaner than you want.

You will have to lubricate and protect every surface in the entire action to keep it from rusting in any kind of humidity. And I’m talking hours, not days.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 02:57 PM
Cleans the crap out of the engraving! I bought one from Harbor Freight to clean up the Grade C Remington I got from RedofTx. I works fine but pre-heat your water mix if you want hot as it takes a long time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Harbor Freight's quality has made light years advancements of late. Their ICON line of hand tools are superb. Just didn't know about these units. Good first hand info.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 03:36 PM
When I was with Chrysler we had a set up that used a refrigated cloradane bath as a cleaner. The cleaner was ok, but hard to control but the big problem was the strength of the unit. It removed the carbon nodules from the casting leaving a very rough surface.
bill
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 04:29 PM
Anyone ever use Brownells water displacing oil? I bought a gallon years ago and tried it after putting an entire action in the USC. Got rid of the water but seemed to leave a film on the steel.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Recoil Rob
Anyone ever use Brownells water displacing oil? I bought a gallon years ago and tried it after putting an entire action in the USC. Got rid of the water but seemed to leave a film on the steel.

Rob; I have wondered about the same thing about the Brownells water dispacing oil and I hope that someone who has used it will reply to your question and also to my question: is the Brownell water displacing oil any better than buying a gallon of WD-40--which originally was made as a water displacer?
Posted By: Chantry Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/16/21 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Originally Posted by Recoil Rob

Rob; I have wondered about the same thing about the Brownells water dispacing oil and I hope that someone who has used it will reply to your question and also to my question: is the Brownell water displacing oil any better than buying a gallon of WD-40--which originally was made as a water displacer?

Ballistol should work as well and comes in smaller sizes than a gallon
Posted By: craigd Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/17/21 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Covington
....Do you fellas use the heater function of your ultrasonic cleaner?....
To me, hands down use it if you have it, it'll clean faster. I have seen grimey parts, come out of a crock pot on low setting with diluted simple green, looking pretty good. I have never personally worried about using distilled water, either to dilute a solution or to fill the bulk of a tank for a smaller parts container.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/17/21 02:25 AM
There's one in my future, next time I get close to a Harbor Freight store. I think I'll go with the distilled water, or maybe rainwater. There's so much calcium in our well water it builds up deposits on everything it comes out of. I can see it possibly causing a problem with a heated ultrasonic cleaner.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/17/21 03:35 PM
You will like it.
If you start out with heated water, and then use the heater function, when the pieces are done being vibrated, they will be quite hot.
Not boiling, but hot.
So as soon as you lift the basket out of the tank, you’ll see that they flash dry, that’s why you have to have whatever protectant you want to use near at hand when you take them out of the tank.

Don’t forget to plan for that. Helps avoid malfunction.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/18/21 11:24 PM
This thread inspired me to get a one at Harbor Freight today. I was having an issue with a balky slide release button on a Model 12 Heavy Duck , and I thought a good cleaning of the trigger group would help. Two 3 minute baths in the cleaner did the trick, and now the release works nicely. I just used warm water and dish soap.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ultrasconic cleaner - 11/19/21 12:37 AM
Cool........... next show us some pics of dead ducks you took with it. Our season starts Saturday morning. One day and a wake-up .........
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com