doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 01:02 PM
for multiple reasons, some shooters have heavy ugly rubber pads put on their gons...problems caused are added weight and changed balance of the gun, plus they are just plain ugly, ugly...and value is diminished...

why not have a competent woodworker add an elegant wood extension to the butt of the gun...results being minimal weight added and less balance change...and if done well, the overall beauty of the gun is enhanced...and value is increased...

ugly: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...r-bros-vhe-20-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101779338

lovely: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ibless-sxs-12-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101744847
Posted By: Nitrah Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 04:15 PM
Agree, having wood added to a Dickson boxlock right now to take the place of pad and add length
Posted By: eeb Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 09:34 PM
Having wood extension added now to a Cashmore pigeon gun. I don’t mind Silvers-type pads but to get the length I want would result in the gun looking like it had a giant eraser on it
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 09:41 PM
Up to an inch or slightly more, I would prefer a leather covered pad. Much longer than that and I simply would not buy it unless planning to restock it. I do not care for wood extensions withe the exception of thin ebony plates.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 11:32 PM
Agree sold a W.Cashmore today had a 1.5 silver's pad he will need a 1 inch.Going to a 30 something young man and the gun will look right again.
Posted By: keith Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/13/21 11:50 PM
I don't like an overly thick recoil pad, and I also don't care for wood extensions where the glue joint is obvious. Many would say that the joint can be hidden with expert grain painting. But the cost of that process can equal or even exceed the value of many field grade vintage doubles. Also, the joint may still become visible over time due to differences in expansion and contraction of the buttstock and the extension.

So there is always the other option that hasn't been mentioned... a good quality lace on pad that is easily reversible if you should sell the gun to another shooter who needs less LOP.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/14/21 01:52 AM
I’ve often thought a nice lightweight wood extension covered with leather would be nice. Wouldn’t have to bother with grain matching and would remove ounces from it.
Posted By: ed good Re: pads vs wood extensions - 11/14/21 02:05 AM
why wood wood cover his extension with leather? rubber wood be more suitable...just sayin...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com