doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/02/21 02:02 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914407331
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 05:07 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915282187
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by ed good

Moot point. Restocked and tang has been shortened.
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 08:32 PM
well stan, its one of only 27...perfect it aint...but rare it certainly is...

eagerly awaiting your positive particapation here...
Posted By: keith Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Moot point. Restocked and tang has been shortened.

Yes, and these facts have been noted by the seller in the Item Description. I have bought from this seller, and will say that they do provide a lot of detailed photographs of the guns they sell, and also strive to provide accurate descriptions of the condition of the guns they sell.

I do wonder if the bidders noticed those important details, as the bidding is already up over $14,000 with over 9 days to go. I almost made a rookie mistake a few years ago when bidding on a C Grade Nichols & Lefever shotgun from a different seller. Despite the fact that there were many pictures provided, I missed the fact that one of the hammers was a replacement with less engraving than the other original hammer. The seller covered his butt by stating that he knew little about the gun, and advised potential buyers to look at his pics before bidding. I was the high bidder when I finally noticed the mismatched hammers with only about ten minutes to go. The end of the sale had reset several times as another guy who wanted it just as badly kept bidding higher. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I was outbid with less than a minute to go. With the Item Description and the many pictures provided, I don't believe the seller would have felt obligated to accept a return since the mismatched hammers were clearly visible to anyone who looked carefully. That was a good lesson in gun buying.

The unlucky winning bidder must have realized, as I did, that his chances of ever finding an original Nichols & Lefever hammer with the correct engraving were very slim. Several months later, he listed the same gun with a reserve quite a bit lower than what he had paid, and took a loss on the sale.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 09:03 PM
Indeed, Stan. And since all Smiths in 12 gauge were chambered for 2&3/4" from 1900 onward- exception being the LONGRANGE guns that appeared in 1926- it would also seem that this "worked-over"i Premiere Grade has non-standard chambers as well- Wonder why some idiot altered the tang, and then had to replace the buttstock- not a inexpensive proceedure either. $14,500??? perhaps not. RWTF
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/05/21 11:55 PM
well stan, its one of only 27...perfect it aint...but rare it certainly is...

eagerly awaiting your positive particapation here...

That's as positive as it's gonna get on this butchered gun.
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/06/21 03:51 AM
well then, how bout you post here info about anutter rare doublegon thats more to your liking...

an dont the rest of youse guys be shy...

hopefully this thread will provide us with an opportunity to learn more about rare examples of doubleguns that most of us have never seen.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/06/21 10:37 PM
He's just jealous Ed.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:13 AM
Ed,
Pardon my departure from the discussion at hand, but something I have been noticing for several years now just became the itch I could not scratch so I have to ask this question. Why do you choose to put words into you posts that would lead most sane people to think of you as a simpleton. From conversations I have had with you through PMs and e-mails I believe you to be an educated man. I realize that every man makes his own personal choices, but I simply cannot understand why anyone would want others to think of them as an idiot. I ask this NOT to make you angry, but simply because the notion hit me to ask the question. And no, fellow board members, I do not intend for this to become an attack on Ed. I think my question is reasonable.
Posted By: keith Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Ed,
Pardon my departure from the discussion at hand, but something I have been noticing for several years now just became the itch I could not scratch so I have to ask this question. Why do you choose to put words into you posts that would lead most sane people to think of you as a simpleton....

This very question comes to mind every time I see or hear a gun owner supporting the anti-gun Democrats who work to take away our Gun Rights. In fact, the word "simpleton" does not do them justice.

Ed, I have a couple very rare guns. There were only about 2500 I Grade Lefever shotguns built, They were the lowest grade Syracuse Lefever, a basic field grade gun with no engraving or embellishments. They were all supposed to be made in 12 gauge, and almost all had plain extractors. But there are four known I Grade guns in 16 gauge. I have two of those four known 16 gauge I Grades, and one of them is the only known 16 gauge I Grade with automatic ejectors. So they are quite rare, but I don't think they are particularly valuable.
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 10:55 AM
reasonable question...

chalk it up to my sense of humor... i think l'm being funny and hopefully entertaining some others here besides myself...and then there is my irreverence for those who presume to judge others...plus i am reflecting on patterns of speech i have experiened, mostly east of the missississippi...also, i am a lousy speller and find it more efficient to spell fo net tic ally...

i grew up before television...loved serial radio, comic books and the sunday paper funnies...i remember little abner, pogo and dagwood...an early tv gave me bugs bunny, daffy duck and my all time favorite...foghorn leghorn...all of these characters were created before the age of political correctness...i did and still do reveal in their incorrectness...jes my inner rebel coming out...

but, why then, were the writings of mark twain and joel chandler harris so popular, whereas mine, not so much? comprehending the written word requires imagination...have we lost that too?

think of me as a bored parrott, just sitting here on my perch, repeating back what i have heard an seen, as i am comfortable doing so...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 11:27 AM
A bowl of hot blackberry cobbler is okay, but no one could eat it three times a day without getting sick of it. Just saying .......
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 12:55 PM
Ed is Ed...

Doesn't bother me if Ed types crazy....I've never thought of Ed as an idiot because of it.

I can't say the same for some of the internet "show bOats"

No pun intended....just happened.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
A bowl of hot, blackberry cobbler is okay, but no one could eat it three times a day without getting sick of it. Just saying .......
Why not put everyone on ignore and give us all a break from your.habitual commentary.
Posted By: SKB Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:06 PM
Gee, no need for Stan to buy a dog the way frAnk follows him around like a puppy.

Sure seems like someone is craving attention.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
Gee, no need for Stan to buy a dog the way frAnk follows him around like a puppy.

Sure seems like someone is craving attention.

Whatever his comments are I'm certain they are at least as "useful" as they were before I put him on ignore ............ grin
Posted By: SKB Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:16 PM
Deep as a bottlecap as they say......
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:19 PM
Well look who flOated' up...

Why dont you try ignoring me Stefpheny
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Homeless jOe
I can't say the same for some of the internet "show bOats"

That’s the guy who’s going to lead us to the promised land after the revolution.

Yeah, we’re fooked.

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 02:47 PM
Even worse than that, we are "Screwed, Jewed and tqttoed.. RWTF
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 02:51 PM
Well, I guess that is as good an answer as any!! Thanks Ed, and again, no malice intended!!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 04:41 PM
Ed mundo and I grew up in the great "Ike" era- 1952-1959. I recall all those great cartoon characters he mentioned, but he forgot my "numero-uno"--Yosemite Sam. And for my numero 2- Foghorn Leghorn-- "Aaah say, Boy--" and all that Uncle Remus dialect- His spirit (Foghorn's that is" lives in in Ocean City MD- right smack dab on the Federal Hwy. boardering the great Atlantic-- "Big Peckers" Restaurant and Bar-- great chicken, and the crab cakes ain't too shabby either. My kid sister Gretchen and her lawyer hubby live in Silver Springs, and whenever Mae and I go out East, we love visiting in MD-also VA, NC and TN--RWTF
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 05:07 PM
once herd savage made a 28 gauge sterlingworth prototype...wonder where it might be now...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/07/21 08:08 PM
Probably in the same hands as the 1 rumored prototype Elsie in that "midget gauge"-- a true "One Off" indeed. RWTF
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/13/21 01:16 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915282187
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/19/21 05:15 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916622997
Posted By: AZMike Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/19/21 06:22 PM
I like to read Ed's postings and I like Patrick McManus's books too.
Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/20/21 02:56 AM
thankyee, thankyee, thankyee... fact is, McManus, and Joel Chandler Harris are two of my favorite mentors...along wid mark twain an will shakespeare, of course...but way down deep, ah aspire to be anutter monty python...

Posted By: topgun Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/20/21 03:36 PM
"Probably in the same hands as the 1 rumored prototype Elsie in that "midget gauge"-- a true "One Off" indeed. RWT

The "One Off" 28 gauge Elsie is not a rumor Mr. Runz; that gun exists and was recently sold by a descent of the original owner to a member of the LCSCA. It can be seen on display during the annual Hunter Homecoming event in Fulton, NY.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/21/21 01:54 PM
so then, in a manner of speaking, the 28 gauge Elsie is still "In the family"possession? Good to know. RWTF
Posted By: topgun Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/21/21 02:02 PM
"so then, in a manner of speaking, the 28 gauge Elsie is still "In the family" possession?

A close friend of the family of the original owner, and an individual who is also a member of the "family" of Smith collectors.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/21/21 09:13 PM
Iam glad to hear that. When I think of the shotguns that fell into a extreme state of neglect, from the collection of the late Ernest Hemingway, among them left behind at the Finca in Cuba-- a 20 ga.M21, a .410 bore M42 and a .410 bore L.C.Smith field grade with ejectors and DT--makes me want to barf. If you have a strong stomach, you can see these and others in the second edition of Silvio Calabai & others "Hemingway''s Guns.RWTF.."There is No excuse for a rusty weapon" USMC mantra..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/22/21 07:11 PM
well then, how bout you post here info about anutter rare doublegon thats more to your liking...

an dont the rest of youse guys be shy...

hopefully this thread will provide us with an opportunity to learn more about rare examples of doubleguns that most of us have never seen.

I have an early and extremely rare Daw shotgun, made in 1866. It is so far ahead of its time, people aren't aware of how rare it is.

Being made in 1866 is rare enough to survive, but the condition of this gun and the innovative aspects of it are groundbreaking for 1866. It is a centerfire gun made for outside primed centerfire shells. I doubt you will see anything like this as early as this gun.

I still take birds with it every fall...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: ed good Re: RARE DOUBLEGONS - 11/22/21 10:39 PM
yes, quite unusual and modern looking for a gun made in 1866...and in wonderful condition...thanks for sharing it with us all here...

and it appears that you live in a grouse hunters paradise...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com