doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 Westley Richards ? - 10/23/21 05:18 AM
What does the “T” prefix in a Westley Richards serial number indicate?

Thanks
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Westley Richards ? - 10/23/21 06:13 AM
I seem to remember that it stands for made for the colonies or exported guns. Not positive and not close to my library at the moment.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Westley Richards ? - 10/23/21 08:20 AM
My understanding is that it designates guns made for them to be badged with their name but actually made by others in the Trade.

I have also seen it suggested that it designates guns made by them (or for them?) for others in the trade to sell.

A “Special ^ Quality” Westley Richards 12 bore BLNE T5*** stamped by them on top of the top extension “Made for Ford Bros.Maritzburg” which recently came back from South Africa clearly supports the latter theory.

As it has a Greener style cross bolt (as used by then by many others in the Trade) it could well also fit the former theory.

Intriguingly it is also stamped (using a different style of letters) on top of the left barrel “FORD’S HAMMERLESS WARRIOR’S GUN”.

I suspect that stamp might have been applied by Ford Brothers who were then Ironmongers in Pietermaritzburg.

( The “ ^ “ denotes the W R Triangle trademark which is lacking from my keyboard)
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Westley Richards ? - 10/23/21 01:48 PM
This thread has some information on T series guns WR T series

Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com