doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunlover Laser engraving - 10/09/21 03:39 PM
Does anyone know of a laser engraving service?

Googling turned up the usual disconnect. What we gun people mean by the word engraving is not what computerists and techno people understand by the same word.

What is sought is something that turns up work like that seen on Boxall and Edmiston doubles:

https://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/gun-room/engraving-styles

Obviously the ideal would be totally hand cut engraving, but sometimes the value of the candidate gun does not jutify the 50 Euro per hour fee charged these days. A friend's 150 Euro Greener GP is the likely candidate.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Laser engraving - 10/09/21 03:53 PM
There is a company that does does laser engraving on guns in US. Winchester used these guys on their commemorative guns. The name escapes me at the moment but I do know the company name started with a B. I checked into them many years ago. Maybe it will come to me. If so I will relay.

John Boyd
Houston, TX
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Laser engraving - 10/11/21 04:36 PM
THank you Arrieta, it would be helpful to have a name to start with.
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: Laser engraving - 10/11/21 06:16 PM
Anyone have experience with Seattle Engraving in Florida?
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Laser engraving - 10/12/21 02:05 AM
I know I am old school, but laser engraving is a contradiction. It may be ornamentation, sure it looks good, but engraving is done manually, and is an artistic skill. There is no inherent value other than the cost, there is no artistic value save what it costs. It really is just another choice.

A Belgian Browning Dianna grade gun is worth a lot more than a grade I because it has fancier wood and checkering, and a well done engraving pattern, done by hand.

If you want to have your name on your gun, so ahead. If you were to be gifting a gun to a valued employee or friend, I'd have it engraved by hand.

Remember, I told you I was old school
Posted By: susjwp Re: Laser engraving - 10/12/21 10:59 AM
Old school is good.
Posted By: keith Re: Laser engraving - 10/12/21 06:14 PM
If you read the information about Boxall & Edminston laser engraving provided in the link in the original post, it sounds like the laser process is merely used to enhance the scroll. If that is the case, then there would still be costly hand work done.

I generally agree with what Dennis Potter says. But while I have been blown away by hand cut engraving so beautiful, intricate, and detailed that it seems as if Divine intervention was behind the enravers hand, I have to acknowledge that there is also some really bad hand engraving done too. There are plenty of guns that would look better without any engraving at all. In addition, I haven't seen any laser engraving that doesn't appear soulless. I actually find a lot of the acid etched scroll and game scenes on vintage guns more attractive, probably because there was still considerable hand work and artistic talent involved.

I don't know if technology will ever reach the point where a CNC controlled laser can exactly duplicate really good hand engraving. But if it does, we have to wonder whether that would take away the incentive for individuals to take up the craft, and it will then become a lost art.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Laser engraving - 10/12/21 10:50 PM
Yes, you are correct. Old school is good and it is classic and it is right. 50 Euro is inexpensive.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Laser engraving - 10/12/21 11:09 PM
Fifty Euro per hour. A border around the Greener receiver is likely to take 8 hours of work. Full coverage is going to be lots more hours.

No denying that cut engraving is the better choice. But the laser work displayed by Boxall and Edmiston is impressive. Especially if it is going to be a simple border on a cheap single barrel.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Laser engraving - 10/13/21 12:56 AM
Yes, I am speaking of 50 euro and hour being inexpensive.

How much did you pay for your last pick up truck?
Posted By: mc Re: Laser engraving - 10/13/21 01:43 AM
50 an hour very inexpensive I would want to see some work before i hire the individual.eight hour border would be a very nice border.i think some company's etch a pattern then have it cut some to give it a non flat look .you can buy an exact print of a famous painting it's still a print not original art.but if you like it and it makes you happy then buy the same print everyone else has.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Laser engraving - 10/13/21 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
Fifty Euro per hour. A border around the Greener receiver is likely to take 8 hours of work. Full coverage is going to be lots more hours.

No denying that cut engraving is the better choice. But the laser work displayed by Boxall and Edmiston is impressive. Especially if it is going to be a simple border on a cheap single barrel.

I've never seen laser engraving that I would pay for. I've seen a lot that I would pay not have at all, so if you have some photos of Boxall and Edmiston that is impressive, I would like to see them if you could post them.
Posted By: mc Re: Laser engraving - 10/14/21 02:01 PM
Boxalland edmiston is out of business they did say all guns bespoke then laser engraved them .I don't know why they went under but an expensive gun with no value added engraving might be a reason I was not impressed by there choice in decorating there guns
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com