Posted By: cable double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/06/21 11:22 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

lancaster four barrel 16 gauge. saw one in diggory haddocks book

i really feel that i NEED one !

here is one at auction

https://www.proxibid.com/A-CHARLES-...HOTGUN-WITH-CASE/lotInformation/64259920
Posted By: Argo44 Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/06/21 11:49 PM
Reilly Muzzle loader, hammer-gun 4 barrel...with a label placing it between 1856 and 1859. No SN so not made by Reilly.
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-...42-c-a92474cb0a

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Hard to imagine trying to shoot it at a moving target.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 12:44 AM
I do wonder if a Game Warden would issue a citation if one were to engage either on a Dove Shoot?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: cable Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 01:19 AM
good point ! there now, i wont buy one : )
Levi repeating 4 round sliding breech 16 gauge gun. The action had to be cycled to fire the two second rounds.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Gun appears to have a tang safety. Never seen one, outside of the pictures in that Roger Barlow article. The gun was in a firearms museum in Belgium.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: cable Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 04:00 AM
these are all darned interesting to me
Posted By: damascus Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 09:50 AM
Cable. If you can afford it purchase it, even if you cant afford it purchase it. Regret before you see another one to purchase can go on for a long time. Just an observation that case the gun is in they did not start out life together it being much more modern also does not fit the gun correctly.
Posted By: SKB Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 10:08 AM
a 9lb 16 bore with 26" barrels does not sound like an upland gun for me, cool none the less though.
Posted By: cable Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/07/21 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by damascus
Cable. If you can afford it purchase it, even if you cant afford it purchase it. Regret before you see another one to purchase can go on for a long time. Just an observation that case the gun is in they did not start out life together it being much more modern also does not fit the gun correctly.

yes but then i would want one of those lancaster 4 barrel pistols with the oval bore, and ..... that would lead to more things that i would need, and ...... well, you can see what would happen ! : )
I think the upcoming Murphy auction has a 4 barrel Lancaster cartridge gun.

Whoops , I just saw the auction listed in the first post. Sorry for lack of attention.
Posted By: damascus Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/08/21 11:12 AM
Cable. Welcome to the "A N Other club" it is a lifetimes free membership. You are not the only member the rest of the worlds population is with you. I did suffer badly from the "I WANT" syndrome though after close to a life time of "I want" I did manage to obtain the things that did matter a lot, I was lucky I purchased the gun I wanted in my twenties so that "I Want" was solved early on in my life though there are other things on my list.
eSo, Bill "Eight-bore" Murphy is getting into the gun auction mileu?? Well, he is certainly qualified.. But i always thought it was Morphy. TWTF
Posted By: Tamid Re: double double [ no toil or trouble ] - 10/08/21 11:27 PM
[quote=ellenbr]I do wonder if a Game Warden would issue a citation if one were to engage either on a Dove Shoot?

International migratory regulations between the US and Canada specify only 3 rounds in a shotgun excepting some states for spring snow geese.

If you were to only load 3 of the barrels at any one time you would be within the law. The 4th barrel would be purposeless.
Originally Posted by ellenbr
I do wonder if a Game Warden would issue a citation if one were to engage either on a Dove Shoot?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

They likely wouldn't even notice it had four barrels. I was shooting my 687 SPII Sporting 20 on a dove shoot once and, when checked by a warden, was asked if I had my gun plugged. I just said no. Then he looked embarrassed.

Which brings up the bigger question, is it illegal to have a gun on a dove shoot that will hold more than three shells at a time, or is it illegal to have more than three in it? Not the same thing.
'Capacity' gents. This is why there are 'duck plugs'.
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
'Capacity' gents. This is why there are 'duck plugs'.

I thought that to be the case but what sense does that regulation make? You have a 15 bird limit on doves already. What does it matter how many shells are in your gun at any time? IMO, unplugged guns would only encourage poorer shooting than is already done by the majority of semi-automatic shooters. The result would be more wasted shells, not more doves killed.

I only shoot two barreled guns when hunting, so it doesn't matter to me anyway.
At one time, it was about turning the corner from a market hunting, or slob hunting mentality, to a sporting philosophy, and limiting the capacity of the gun to more closely match the limit.

Not sure, today. My buddy has hunted deer on public ground for the last two decades near Lutsen, MN, only to find this year they (DNR) have built a fabulous mountain bike course right under his stand. He was assured he could still hunt the spot, but is wondering exactly what is the point? Do they really believe deer will hang around a mountain bike trail?

I can’t think of two more mutually exclusive purposes for public ground.

Best,
Ted

Thanks Ted. Plainly put, thought control. Not that I favor market hunting being legalized, but big brother is always out to change the way of thinking of the masses to more align with their own.
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Thanks Ted. Plainly put, thought control. Not that I favor market hunting being legalized, but big brother is always out to change the way of thinking of the masses to more align with their own.

Well, Stan, just collect a few more checks from ‘The Man’ and kick that revolution off.

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
At one time, it was about turning the corner from a market hunting, or slob hunting mentality, to a sporting philosophy, and limiting the capacity of the gun to more closely match the limit.

Stan, I think it was actually an alliance of sportsman and conservation minded government that realized the way things were going, there would be more case studies similar to the Passenger Pigeon and the American Buffalo. Things were going the wrong way at the time. Not sure magazine plugs solved anything. Just what they came up with.

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Well, Stan, just collect a few more checks from ‘The Man’ and kick that revolution off.

Being ugly, even real ugly, beats being you, hands down.

Best,
Ted