doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hal M Hare Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/28/21 11:54 AM
Might now be a good time to buy a Turkish sidelock?

Have see some tempting prices.
Historically, they have been very heavy for Gage.

That was the main complaint about the Kimber’s, which you may remember.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/28/21 02:56 PM
Like anything else it will depend on if they are built up to a standard or down to a price

The weight may have to do with whether they have to stand someone putting those Turkish Tactical anti-drone shells through them?
Posted By: ed good Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/29/21 12:39 AM
if buying for investment, probabily not...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/29/21 10:20 AM
The Ruffed Grouse Society got stuck with a bunch of those Kimbers. The problem when those appeared on the market was that they were priced higher than an AyA #2 at that time. Not much selling for much over $1,000 from Turkey back then, and they tried to jump into the $5,000 market. Didn't work out well for them.

I'd still want to check the trigger pulls before buying anything made in Turkey. They're getting better, but they still have a ways to go IMO.
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/29/21 11:56 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Certainly some tempting prices--but.....
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/29/21 04:25 PM
Nothing ruins a gun for me like bad triggers. I can tolerate 1-2 pounds heavier trigger but too light are a definite deal killer to me. Some of these new double seem to start with seven pound triggers for what I suspect are liability reasons.

Too many fall in love with a pretty stock. I rather have nice triggers and a stock that fits me reasonably well.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/29/21 05:25 PM
Hmmmm. I guess to me if a shotgun trigger pull isn’t in the 12 lb range, I’m ok with it. 7 lb triggers don’t seem to bother me or my shooting very much. My trigger pull muscle memory is different for a shotgun as opposed to a pistol or rifle. At least to me it is.

I currently have a Manufrance Ideal that has a 12 lb rear trigger. That is ridiculous. I need to get that remedied sooner rather than later.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? - 09/30/21 10:36 AM
I'm currently field testing one of the new Fabarm Autumn sxs. They advertise 4# pulls on their SST. My gauge tells me that's not false advertising. My impression so far: Nice gun for $4,000. It's not a real lightweight. Mine goes 6 1/4 with 28" barrels, straight grip, splinter. But then you'll be hard pressed to find a Parker Repro 20 that weighs less. And Fabarm gives you 5 choke tubes, C to F. Nice wood. It's a through bolt gun, so a bit thick in the wrist. And without a tang on the trigger guard--which would be only ornamental anyhow, but I think makes a sxs more attractive.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com