doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/26/21 08:47 PM
I am thinking of sending out a Winchester 21 (set up with cast ON for lefty) to have the stock bent just a bit to provide cast OFF. I have the Cody letter stipulating the cast on and everything else is as original (now with a repair to the forend wood done many years ago) so the gun has lost some originality anyway. I have tried to use the gun as is but it just doesn't cut it. Any thoughts? thanks, Gil
Bend it.

Edit: My advice is only in relation to the value of gun fit vs messing with originality. I’m offering no advice regarding the suitability of the stock/wood for being bent.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/26/21 09:13 PM
Tougher if the toe is cast on too. You better check that.
American walnut?

Better think twice. Somewhere out there is a 21 stock with nothing to do, that is neutral or cast off. Buy that instead.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/27/21 12:53 AM
Gil there are a good many used 21 stocks ebay and so on.
Posted By: SKB Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/27/21 10:42 AM
American walnut can be bent though it is not as easy to do as thin shell is. Cast is the easiest of direction to bend a gun in. You could likely bend it but finding a take off stock does seem a better option.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/29/21 04:24 AM
What's a left cast M21 stock worth? How marketable? Bend it or break it.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 - 09/29/21 10:37 AM
Some people say 21 stocks are everywhere. Well, that may be true…..that is, until you go to try and find one that suits you. The trap versions seem especially hard to find. If amenable to bending to right handed, I’d say go for it. Keep in mind, it’s tough to twist/bend a cast on toe to cast off. If not amenable to bending, have you considered a butt transplant? Worst case scenario in terms of cost, or maybe best case scenario in terms of gun fit and shoot-ability, a custom stock. Good luck with your project.
Bend it to suit and quit worrying about it. 21 stocks were all hand fitted and finding another used one to be an exact fit to the frame and fit you too is very difficult. Bend it.
JR
Thank you to all who took the time to express an opinion on this. I really appreciate it. Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com