doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/26/21 06:49 PM
If any of you gents have a copy of Hemingway's Guns- 2nd. ed- pages 246-247 detail a Spanish gunmaker in Eibar, Victor Saraqueta-- I have just acquired a 20 bore Saraqueta sibe-by-side, 28" Imp. cyl. & mod. DT, Ext- full pg stock and small beavertail fore with push rod release in tip of forearm wood. Gun looks to be "as new" doubt if it was fired very much, if at all-sction is a bit "stiff" when unbreaching and closing-- haven't pattern tested it yet--my friend Stan Hillis was king ebough to research the importer who was located some time ago in Atlanta GA. I have somehow misplaced by Terry Wieland book "Spanish Best" and my Steve Bodio book doesn't really give me enough details. If anyone owns or has owned a Saraqueta double gun, I would appreciate hearing from you and what your opinion is as to quality and field handling qualities. Muchas gracias- El Zorro. RWTF
Posted By: ed good Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/27/21 04:16 AM
there was more than one saraskeeter in the trade...does yours have a first name or initial stamped on the barrels? like maybe v for victor or f for felix...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sar...592j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/27/21 11:45 AM
V as in Victor-- Ah, usted conozor las escapetas hechan en Eiber, amigo. Muy Bien..El Zorro
Posted By: ed good Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/28/21 01:54 AM
having seen a few of victor's and felix's guns, my impression is that victor's guns exhibit better fit and finish and more figured wood...

and then there is jj, who i know little about...

i do know that spanish gun makers create products to fit into various price point markets...they are safe shooters, as they must pass long established spanish proof...

however, there is the "spanish curse", as it is known in the used gun trade...which has to do with heat treating issues with small internal parts, such as springs, sears, triggers and pins...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/28/21 12:05 PM
Ed, I can only wonder how the Spanish made guns that Ernest Hemingway either used himself, or gave to friends to shoot, made in Eibar, held up. Hemingway used all his guns hard, demanded reliable performance (his favorite esopeta was his 1928 era M12 12 gauge) and of course, was in love with Spain and Spanish speaking people. heat treating standards may have varied from one European country to another back in Hemingway's days- also, if I am correctly informed, many of the Spanish gunmakers did contracting work for the London makers. El Zorro---
Posted By: ed good Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/28/21 07:06 PM
one would presume hemingway only purchased top quality spanish made gons...

i have no knowkedge of spanish gunmakers doing any work for london makers...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/28/21 08:09 PM
Actually, there are more than "one" in that presumption mileu, Fast Eddie- besides yours truly- a devout Hemingway stdent, you could add my friend Silvio Calabi, and his dos Amigos, Senor Helsey y tamien Senor Sanger. Hemingway owned and shot over his lifetime, besides the Model 12- various shotguns made by: Adamy, L.C. Smith, Liege, Winchester M21 (20 gauges_ Winchester M42, Cordy & Fils, Browning Superposed, Browning Auto-5, Merkel, Beretta S- Sovrapposto 12 gauge, and W.C. Scott & Son-- A few were purchased new, most were purchased second-hand, and he was a steady cutomer at A&F's Griffin&Howe gunroom--RWTF/El Zorro
Posted By: ed good Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 09/28/21 11:48 PM
souns like heminway had a few extra shekels to spread around...
Posted By: Carl46 Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/01/21 11:54 PM
RWTF, I used to own a Victor Sarasqueta 20 gauge that very much resembled the gun you describe. It had the same small BTFE, PG, DT, etc. Mine was called a Woodland Zephyr IIRC. It had minimal engraving and plain wood with a checkered butt. I had the IC barrel opened to cylinder for use in close cover, and the gun performed quite well for that purpose.

I have long enjoyed Mr. Hemingway's work, but know nothing of his guns (other than "the little Mannlicher"). I do hope you enjoy yours.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/02/21 12:10 AM
Nice to hear from another Hemingway fan and from the "Show Me State".. You have described the gun I have (at present) to a "T". I might keep it but as my old friend and best gunsmith I knew, along with Buck Hamlin, from your home State by the by--anyway, Brad Bachelder could no doubt, adjust the heavy trigger pulls this Saraqueta has to those more to my liking--On a 7 to 7&1/2 lb. double in 12 gauge, I like 3&3/4 for the front trigger, and 4&1/4 lb. for the rear trigger- 4 lbs. pull even for a SST shotgun. I do a lot of varmint hunting, and also .22 target pistol shooting in the Winter months- to my mind, good crisp and consistent trigger pulls are a key to accuracy. Anyway, with Brad sadly gone from our world, the shooting fraternity lost a master craftsman-- May I suggest you order a copy of the second edition of "Hemingway's Guns" by Silvio Calabai and his dos amigos-- details and details, and Don Ernesto was a major fan of Spanish made shotguns, a habit no doubt acquired from his many years in both Spain, and in Cuba, where he shot live pigeons for serious dinero at the club near to his Finca Vigia hacienda.

FWIF in closing, my favorite of all his novels is "Islands In The Stream" and short story-- "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber". Salud El Zorro--
Posted By: eightbore Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/03/21 08:08 PM
You can see VS guns in fifties and sixties vintage Shooter's Bibles. This may not be the vintage of your gun, but you will see nice pictures. My ten gauge single barrel Zephyr Honker is a fine gun in my opinion. There is a wealth of information on Shotgun World, Spanish Guns subforum.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/03/21 09:34 PM
Mil Gracias, Senor "Ochos-Bore"--Yo tengo algunes de los Bibleotecas que usted listadado.. El Zorro..
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/07/21 08:04 AM
I spent a day and evening alone once in Ernest and Mary's home in Ketchum. The only evidence of firearms there was a hard take-down case for a 20ga., the inner label marked Abercrombie and Fitch. And a nicely repainted foyer.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/07/21 11:34 AM
My guess- as a devout Hemingway-isto--that may have been the case for the 20 ga. M21 with an extra barrel set Hemingway ordered as a gift for his third wife, writer Martha Gelhorn--Hemingway hit the jackpot with the movie rights to "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and bought that M21 for her- she hunted pheasants with Ernest and his 3 boys in Idaho in the pre-WW2 era-- When they divorced, she left the gun with Hem. RWRF
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/10/21 12:01 PM
Victor S. was a Spanisch top maker.

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2016/12/14/spanish-best-sarasqueta-sidelock/

Gunwolf
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/10/21 12:18 PM
Danke Herr Wolf. Bist Sie ein buchenmacher?? Herr Fuchs
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/11/21 08:43 AM
Hello Fuchs,
no, I'm an enthusiast & gunwriter.
Waidmannsheil,
Gunwolf
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/11/21 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
You can see VS guns in fifties and sixties vintage Shooter's Bibles. This may not be the vintage of your gun, but you will see nice pictures. My ten gauge single barrel Zephyr Honker is a fine gun in my opinion. There is a wealth of information on Shotgun World, Spanish Guns subforum.

I have just acquired a Zephyr Honker and refinished the stock. Barrel is in excellent condition and I’m very pleased with it.I’m looking forward to taking it out after Greylag and Pinkfoot geese this season. Could you let me know what you find a comfortable load for the gun it would be much appreciated.

Edit to add. 1 and 3/4 oz lead shot size BB and 2s for the geese and 4s for mallard and wigeon should be comfortable enough through the 8lb 9oz Honker
Posted By: Carl Baird Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/12/21 09:35 PM
I have a friend who was born and raised in Argentina and as far as he is concerned, the Victor Sarasqueta was the gun to use. He came from a poor background, so his experience was with field grade guns, and they never failed. I own three, one a 20ga. woodlander Zephyr, a 12ga. Sterlingworth sidelock and a medium grade V. Sarasqueta. All shoot well and are good values. For whatever it's worth.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/12/21 09:54 PM
Here you go Konor; an ad from 1958 and the gun was listed at 10 1/2#

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/12/21 10:32 PM
En verdad, una escopeta muy grande para una cazador con cojones muy grande tambien, no es verdad?? El Zorro...
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor - 10/13/21 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Here you go Konor; an ad from 1958 and the gun was listed at 10 1/2#

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Thanks Drew much appreciated ,just after I bought the gun I sourced a copy of that same advertisement. Reading up on it it seems the consensus of opinion is that the weight 10 and 1/2 lbs was chosen so as to not discourage buyers from buying such a light 10 bore magnum. Seems odd to me . I have the option to add weight to the stock but will let loose a few shells at its present weight and go from there.
My next purchase may be another single barrel in 12 bore if I can find the right gun. Better quality single barrels are thin on the ground here.
I managed to get some little skeeters in 12 and 20 bore so can get the feel of the gun on clays.
I’ve sourced some XX Winchester 2 1/4 oz in 4, 2 and BB I would not fancy doing a round of singles skeet with them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com