doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/19/21 07:33 PM
How familiar are you guys with his sidelocks. It's a backaction . Maybe from around 1900, but not sure. Looks like a pretty nice gun. Aren't they mostly known for rifles?
Posted By: Nitrah Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/19/21 10:27 PM
I had a beautiful sidelock, back action. What I believed was there best grade with dogs on both lockplates, a pheasant on the bottom of the receiver and lab head on trigger guard. The mainspring had rollers on the top limb which rolled up the hammer. One of those guns you regret ever selling. I would buy another without question. Jeffery himself was a shrew operator but used top tradesman to make his guns. Mine was made by Daniel leonard and Son
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/20/21 12:47 PM
I have seen several Jeffery sidelocks with wonderful decoration. Here are a couple. They often used the "box" ejector [Deeley] from Westley Richards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: susjwp Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/20/21 12:51 PM
Did they embellish Scott actions? This looks like a Scott action with a Woodward-like carved breech. Pretty gun nonetheless.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/20/21 01:43 PM
I really don't know the source of the actions. Note that the locks differ, but the general style remains. I have "heard" that Jeffery brought in, and least in part, their shotguns. It seems that they had an Idea about how they wanted to engrave and sculpt their guns. The top gun in the photo is mine and has a stock extension to fit me at 15 1/2". I seem to shoot it well. The lower gun belonged to the late Don Hardin. He shot every gun well.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/20/21 03:12 PM
Most if not all Jeffrey guns were made by Daniel Leonard.
Those actions look like Rogers actions. Those rollers on the mainsprings are called anti-friction rollers. Pretty ingenious. The locks are back action locks as well if I remember right.

Daryl, somebody looks like they tried removing the hing pin on the bottom gun. What a shame.

Both of those guns are very similar, but with subtle differences. Notice the lock plate side nails, different sizes, different locations. The size of the pins just behind the breech balls are different as well. Pin locations on lock plates in different locations.

The Deeley box wasn’t the only ejector mechanism that utilized a box. Ross’s patent No. 14886 of 1890 utilized a box too. Most definitely not encountered as much as the Deeley box for sure.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/20/21 03:38 PM
If my memory serves me correctly the bottom gun had a Baker ejector.
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/21/21 07:13 PM
Daryl, did you know that Westley Richards own the name of Jeffery, this is why there is often the box ejector.
Marc;
Posted By: ellenbr Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/23/21 11:07 AM
Marc:

Fantastic to see you posting.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/24/21 10:41 AM
Rollers on the main springs are a cool little feature

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/24/21 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Both of those guns are very similar, but with subtle differences. Notice the lock plate side nails, different sizes, different locations. The size of the pins just behind the breech balls are different as well. Pin locations on lock plates in different locations.

Very big difference in the fit of the lock plates on the two guns, as well. Fit on the top one appears to be perfect, the bottom one shabby, unless that's lighting playing tricks on me.

Your gun is a gem, Daryl.
Posted By: SKB Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/24/21 12:12 PM
True, but I have a feeling both fit up beautifully when they were shipped out of Jeffery's.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W J Jeffery Sidelocks - 09/24/21 02:49 PM
I'd suggest that the lower gun could have that left lockplate moved forward a hair , and it would fit beautifully.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com