doublegunshop.com - home
Is anyone seeing any 20 gauge or 16 gauge non-steel non-toxic for sale? I can't find a thing online. Looking for something like #5 or #6 shot bismuth or tungsten. I've never gone waterfowl hunting period, but I found a local spot where I might be able to jump shoot some wood ducks in early season. By the time I figured out the access, well, the ammo shortage had begun... I'm in PA. I shoot older guns so steel is not an option. I'm really just looking for a box, no more. Thanks.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 12:30 AM
If you don’t need low pressure give Boss Shotshells a call. Sometimes they have stuff that the website doesn’t show.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 12:33 AM
Not sure what length you may desire, but look @ Palmeto Armory Or Clark Amory and they have it from time to time:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hev...end-shotshell-ammunition-5rds-00567.html

https://clarkarmory.com/collections/20-gauge

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 12:47 AM
Boss and Backridge ammo have bismuth in sub gauges
Posted By: Carl46 Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 01:06 AM
By the way, Boon, tungsten is even harder than steel. If you can't use steel, you can't use tungsten.
Originally Posted by gunmaker
If you don’t need low pressure give Boss Shotshells a call. Sometimes they have stuff that the website doesn’t show.

They DO have low pressure loads, Michael. They're just not advertised on the website. I called them back in January and asked about their low pressure loads (loaded without a plastic shot cup, but with fiber wads), got the answers I needed, ordered a bulk box of 200, and received them two days later. Amazing. Patterned them in my SuperFox and will be using them heartily come duck season.
Thanks for the tips. I'll give Boss a call this week. (And thanks for telling me about tungsten being harder than steel, yikes... I didn't realize that, all this is new to me.)

I'm looking for 2 3/4" for my 16 gauges. But my 20 gauge can take up to 3".
Posted By: bsteele Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 12:42 PM
From the Kent ammo site regarding tungsten matrix shot: “Safe in any choke and won't harm barrels”.

Please know what advice you are giving regarding ammunition.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 01:10 PM
Too, Natchez Shooter's Supply has Rio Bismith on-hand from time to time .

https://www.natchezss.com/ammunition.html

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Originally Posted by bsteele
From the Kent ammo site regarding tungsten matrix shot: “Safe in any choke and won't harm barrels”.

Please know what advice you are giving regarding ammunition.

I believe the Kent Tungsten Matrix shot is actually tungsten powder mixed with polymer, hence their claim that it will not harm any barrel. The polymer "matrix" holds the powdered tungsten suspended but completely surrounded thus giving the pellets the capability to be compressed to a small degree when going through a choked barrel. I have used them in the past in older guns because of this. If I am wrong I suppose I misread a whole lot of printed information on the matrix shells when they first appeared back in the early 90's.
Posted By: oskar Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 02:52 PM
You are correct on the TUNGSTEN MATRIX shells they are safe in older steel barrels. I too have used them in the past (they seemed like they were loaded pretty hot though) until I started loading my own bismuth and ITX-10 shells. Most tungsten shell on the market today are harder than steel they have monikers of HW-13, HW-15, HW-18 and TSS.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by gunmaker

They DO have low pressure loads, Michael. They're just not advertised on the website. I called them back in January and asked about their low pressure loads (loaded without a plastic shot cup, but with fiber wads), got the answers I needed, ordered a bulk box of 200, and received them two days later. Amazing. Patterned them in my SuperFox and will be using them heartily come duck season.

Was this their “Stinger” loads? 1oz at 1375? If not, what are the specifics?
Michael, the load is 1 1/4 oz. and develops 8500 psi. I can't remember the velocity for the life of me. I'll see if I can find that when I get home.
Posted By: Carl46 Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/19/21 09:09 PM
Right, I was thinking of TSS and the like. I forgot tungsten matrix even existed. If you can't get it from RST or Bass Pro Shop or Fiocchi, I probably don't shoot it. Thanks for clarifying my warning.
Here you go, Michael. I had to dig them out and look at them to get the velocity .......... 1275 fps.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Mine have patterned in the high 60s to low 70s, percentage-wise, out of my 32" HE Fox and 32" 3E LC Smith. They won't pattern as high a percentage as the 1350 fps loads with the plastic shot cup, but are plenty good for 90% of big duck shooting.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/21/21 03:05 PM
Thank you for taking the time to follow through with providing the info.
Your welcome. I needed to refresh memory anyway.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/21/21 08:07 PM
Reckon the tungsten matrix would be OK for damascus barrels?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/21/21 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood

I’ve shot a lot of TM out of my damascus barreled Lancasters. Works like gang busters. I bought a bunch of Kent TM #5’s, 2.5” roll crimped loads back in the day for using on Nebraska WMA/WPA’s and the Sandhills. They are soft shooting, pattern great and kill birds cleanly.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/21/21 11:53 PM
Did you load your own?

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by Joe Wood

I’ve shot a lot of TM out of my damascus barreled Lancasters. Works like gang busters. I bought a bunch of Kent TM #5’s, 2.5” roll crimped loads back in the day for using on Nebraska WMA/WPA’s and the Sandhills. They are soft shooting, pattern great and kill birds cleanly.
A kind stranger hooked me up with a couple boxes, for which I’m very grateful. I also see that Backridge Ammo seems to have 16 gauge #6 shot bismuth in stock if anyone is hard up.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: looking for bismuth or tungsten shells - 09/22/21 04:22 AM
I bought ten Backridge tungsten ten bore shells last year. Killed nine geese with ten shots. Lethal as heck but not the nicest looking shells. I do not see them listed for sale right now but with the spot shortages that is not surprising.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com