doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunmaker Teal no bueno - 09/12/21 09:03 PM
But the big geese played

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Teal no bueno - 09/12/21 10:21 PM
Man, that's a bunch of work ahead .......

Nice pic, Michael.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Teal no bueno - 09/12/21 10:23 PM
Good deal.
I had a skein of 24 geese fly low over the house yesterday morning.
Posted By: Carl46 Re: Teal no bueno - 09/12/21 10:37 PM
Nice guns, good shooting. But that is the worst hunting car . . . :-)
Posted By: terc Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 12:27 AM
I thought that was the blind.
Posted By: mc Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 12:39 AM
What guns are you using?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:12 AM
I see a Greener and what is probably a Webley & Scott sourced gun.

There’s enough down on those geese to make a big pillow!
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:14 AM
Both are WW Greener Empires; mine a 28” ejector gun with top safety, and my friends a 32” extractor w/side safety.

We were both shooting 1 1/16oz of bismuth #6 at 1300. It did a number on the geese inside 25yds, granted it was supposed to be for teal.
Posted By: LGF Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 04:13 AM
I love my 30", 3.25" chambered Empire, but not the side safety. What was W.W. thinking?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
There’s enough down on those geese to make a big pillow!

Our Hutterite friends in Saskatchewan handle the picking of our geese for a fair charge and sell us back our feathers and down in pillows and comforters that are almost too hot to sleep in. That's probably just because I live in south GA...Geo

Reminds me of the guy near my farm who I let harvest fallen hardwoods to split for firewood. He then sells me back my own wood for campfire purposes. I never said I was a great business man!
Posted By: mc Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 01:55 PM
Geo.newbern did you work for the government?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:00 PM
Only when I was carrying a rifle for them...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern

Figure in state and local about half the year.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
[quote=Geo. Newbern]Only when I was carrying a rifle for them...Geo

True that!...Geo
Posted By: bushveld Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:18 PM
Aaron;

Your Greener Empire grade puts me to thinking about my friend Malcolm W. in South Africa, now a retired Copper mining engineer, who left England in the 1960's to take a job in what was then Northern Rhodesia at the copper mine there. While working there he was able to obtain a Greener Empire 12 bore that had been removed from a criminal by the police and when my friend Malcolm went down to South Africa to live later he took the Greener with him and still shoots it some today. It is loose on face but murder on the South African Rock pigeons and when I go over to South Africa to shoot them I use his Greener Empire (30 inch barrels). The side safety is a bit of a issue for me but the long barrels and heavy weight make it an excellent gun for those very very fast and big Rock pigeons. Those pigeons greatly damage the sunflower crops there and the farmers invite shooters to come shoot them--it is not unusual to shoot several hundred in a few hours.

Thanks for showing us your guns, geese and the vintage vehicle. Looks like you will be getting rain from the remains of the tropical storm as it goes through East Texas.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:50 PM
I really like that Empire, a gun built for business and I shoot it very well. I have enough bismuth to last at least two duck seasons, so I’ll be shooting it exclusively.

We could use the rain, the pine needles and leaves are getting rather crunchy. I might go for another “teal” hunt Tuesday or Wednesday morning to see if the pre-storm changes anything. They are thick on the coast!
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by LGF
I love my 30", 3.25" chambered Empire, but not the side safety. What was W.W. thinking?

I have two other Greener game guns, both with side safeties. In the duck blind it doesn’t bother me, but in an upland type hunting scenario I’m not sure how I’d manage with it.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 03:32 PM
Big Greener fan here. The side safety, if you’ve seen its use demonstrated how it was designed to be used, it makes perfect sense. It was never intended as a stalking or a rough shooting type safety. It was intended to be used as a stationary safety at the peg or blind/butt. Picture the gun butt resting on your thigh, barrels pointed up, thumb on the safety with your right hand, birds are coming in, flip the safety forward and your ready to fire. For us southpaws, the side safety is better suited for a rough shooting safety, using the index/trigger finger on the left hand to flip the safety forward while walking up to a pointed bird.

Nice Greeners btw, love seeing them put to use like that!
Posted By: bushveld Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 05:13 PM
Here is a Greener Empire at Holt's 20-21 Sept 2021 sale built in 1963 that appears too good to be true.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...921+++1701+&refno=168145&image=7
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 05:45 PM
Interesting gun. Lighter than most Empires I’ve run across.
Posted By: mc Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 06:01 PM
Looks like a nice greener and it's a very late greener I think webley took over in 64 I have three old greeners one a 1878or 79 a&d box lock one 1886 a&d and a 78 hammer gun mine are not in great shape but they are interesting.
Posted By: LGF Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 06:06 PM
Thanks for that, Gunmaker and LeFusil. That is how I use it but still wish the button was a bit higher and easier to flip.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by gunmaker

Yes, and the action flat does not look as long as the earlier Empires as well.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Teal no bueno - 09/13/21 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld

I believe it’s only a “Greener” in name only. It was more than likely built, finished or completed by Webley & Scott. It differed from the usual W&S action in use at the time, lacking the cocking limb pins on the side of the action, but it does look different from the standard Empire action too. Especially where the breech pin is bored on the top strap and length of action flats. The old rumor was any of the later Greener Empires with top safety were W&S built guns. Side safety they were built by Greeners, but could’ve been finished by W&S after the acquisition.

W&S purchased the Greener name, etc around 1965 I think. There were probably a lot of unfinished guns laying around the Greener works during that time that W&S eventually finished off. I could be wrong. It’s been a long time since I read Grahams book.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Teal no bueno - 09/14/21 12:05 AM

It’s you, Jugallo.

(Sounds like a garbage truck).

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Teal no bueno - 09/14/21 02:58 PM

That seaside tunnel looks like the one from the opening car chase from Quantum of Solace, the Best part of the movie.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Teal no bueno - 09/14/21 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by bushveld

I believe it’s only a “Greener” in name only. It was more than likely built, finished or completed by Webley & Scott. It differed from the usual W&S action in use at the time, lacking the cocking limb pins on the side of the action, but it does look different from the standard Empire action too. Especially where the breech pin is bored on the top strap and length of action flats. The old rumor was any of the later Greener Empires with top safety were W&S built guns. Side safety they were built by Greeners, but could’ve been finished by W&S after the acquisition.

W&S purchased the Greener name, etc around 1965 I think. There were probably a lot of unfinished guns laying around the Greener works during that time that W&S eventually finished off. I could be wrong. It’s been a long time since I read Grahams book.

I believe you are correct and my comment about it looked to good to be true--was indicative of caution to be exercised. It may be as much as 3/8" shorter than the original Empire actions--maybe more.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com