doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bls Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 03:22 AM
So, I'm just learning about Super Posed shotguns.
What are the differences between a Round Knob Long Tang and a Short Tang Square Knob variant (other than of course.....the tang length and general shape of the "knob")
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 03:46 AM
Regardless of the grip shape, round or square, the long trigger guard tang versions are always more desirable. There are versions with both combinations, but I've seen very few with a short tang and square knob. I stand to be corrected, but I think all of the salt wood guns were round knob grips, regardless of tang length.
JR
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 10:48 AM
Isn't the Superposed code FK (flat knob) rather than square knob? I'm not a big OU fan, but that seems to stick in my memory.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 02:25 PM
The short tang appeared right at the same time as the salt wood issues, 1967. Much to the horror of the purests, my favorite Superposed is the New Model Skeet, with the square knob and short tang that came out in 1967.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: bls Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 02:33 PM
So, other than salt wood, what would make a long tang version more desireable (I mean, a longer tang, yes...but are there other factors?)
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by bls
So, other than salt wood, what would make a long tang version more desireable (I mean, a longer tang, yes...but are there other factors?)
The short tang was viewed as a “cheapening” of the gun, so long tang versions are considered to be a more refined, desirable model.
JR
Posted By: Carl46 Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/03/21 08:36 PM
Collectors will not want to read my next sentence.

The short tang is actually better if you intend to reshape the stock into an English shape, sans pistol grip, because you don't have to reshape the tang.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/04/21 12:13 PM
The bean counter who suggested doing away with the Round Knob Long Tang In an effort to save money deserves to be horse whipped.
I can’t say for sure but the same guy probably sat on the committee that instituted the change to salt cured stocks.

Regarding the advantages of a short tang when contemplating an English stock conversion,
I respectfully disagree. IMHO an English stocked Superposed deservedly wears a Long Tang.

Posted By: Carl46 Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/04/21 06:07 PM
Looks nice. More work, more money, but worth it.

The worst part about the salt wood was the tendency to salt cure really nicely figured wood. Salt cure ruined beautiful stocks and hand fitted doubles at the same time. All to dry the wood a little faster. Haste makes waste.

I saw a super on GB a while back with a really nice stock. And a really rusty receiver where wood met steel, if you enlarged the picture enough to see it. Sold "as is, no return" of course.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/04/21 06:49 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that the differences are an indication of which were made in Belgium and when?
Mike
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Superposed question: RKLT v SKST - 09/04/21 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
Am I wrong in thinking that the differences are an indication of which were made in Belgium...?
Mike
Yes. They all were.
JR
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com