doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ellenbr Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:59 AM
Has anyone ignited or patterned any of this Turkish ammo under the moniker Sterling? I have some #5s enroute with 1 3/16 oz?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 10:49 AM
I hope their shells are more consistent than their triggers.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 11:16 AM
Poor comparison. You can adjust trigger pulls. Not so much shotshells.

I guess we can assume your answer to Raimey's question is "No".
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:07 PM
Thanks for the responses & for the most part I am aligned. But in the coming weeks I will update this thread with a preliminary report. I am just curious if they are indeed loaded in Turkey or if they sub it out to a concern either in Italy or Spain. Too, I assume that 1 3/16 oz equates to 34 grammes?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:11 PM
http://www.sterling.com.tr/en/Urunler/Detay/28/sterling-exclusive-12-cal-34-gr-fibre-wad

Interesting their choice of terms / words: >>Exclusive<< & >>Elegant<< for categories?

I think I am to receive the above?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:17 PM
Regarding 12 bore, it appears the >>Elegant<< category hovers around 500 BAR published whilst the >>Exclusive<< runs from 575 - 650 BAR for the 34 & 36 grammes.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:22 PM
If you could find a view of the rear panel of a box you might be able to determine where they're loaded. Usually states that somewhere on the box. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find they're loaded in Turkey.

And yes, 34 grams is pretty close to 1 3/16 oz .........

Good luck, SRH
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 12:46 PM
What might those BAR numbers convert to in PSI?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 01:54 PM
Based on a quick google search they are loaded by Turac in Turkey and are CIP approved, which pretty much ensures safety. Performance - ??
Posted By: LeeS Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 03:30 PM
No experience with them but Interesting selection for specific species of modern pests included in the Tactical Series shot shell line.
They should expand that selection to include Non-Toxic versions

from the 12g Semi Magnum thru 12g Semi Magnum shells.
[Linked Image from sterling.com.tr]

to 12g Semi Magnum thru 12g Super Magnum shells
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by LeeS
No experience with them but Interesting selection for specific species of modern pests included in the Tactical Series shot shell line.
They should expand that selection to include Non-Toxic versions

from the 12g Semi Magnum thru 12g Semi Magnum shells.

That’s hilarious
I might have to get a box of each for laughs.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 03:49 PM
http://www.sterling.com.tr/Dosyalar/Files/Semi_magnum.jpg

http://www.sterling.com.tr/Dosyalar/Files/Supermagnum.jpg

That is very funny indeed. Must have a terrible Drone problem in Turkey? Note that they have covered all the bases with >>Fixed Wing<< as well as >>Rotor<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: bushveld Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/06/21 04:13 PM
Appears to me like the shotshell makers in Turkey have their act together and are living in and understanding the real world and times we live in; and not only that understand marketing and packaging strategies.

I remember 3-4 years back when a drone was shot down by someone when said drone was dispatched and guided to fly over a live pigeon shoot in South Carolina(near where Chris Batha lives) and video the shooting apparently for certain individuals who were opposed to such a shoot.

I seem to recall the drone shooter (drone downer "DD"--- maybe a new marketing term by the shotshell industry) was fined, but that would have been pocket change to a live pigeon shooter.

Stephen Howell
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/07/21 11:42 AM
That shoot is held less than an hour across the river from me aways, Stephen. The shooters were not fined. They were told by the owner to take it out, as it was an invasion of his privacy (private property). The local law enforcement was in full agreement. The drone was owned by animal rights activists. Hasn't happened again, either. Before the drone incident we saw a helicopter hovering over the shoot, with a cameraman hanging out the side door filming. One call to Columbia (the state capitol) soon had that airframe gone. Neither of these types of occurrences have ever happened again.
Might be dated advice, but, my Dad always believed if you wouldn’t drink a countries water, you shouldn’t load their ammunition.

I’ve never had a drink of Turkish water, nor fired any of their ammunition. But then, Federal Cartridge is right up the road.
I would be willing to bet few have ever seen these, much less had a chance to load and shoot them. But, living in the same county as Federal is a good thing.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Best,

Ted
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/07/21 06:03 PM
I’ve gotten sone Federal handgun ammo as seconds; great stuff.
The process for determining seconds is such that getting a misfire in the lot is nearly nonexistent .
I had a friend years ago with family who worked at CCI.
He literally had a truckload of .22 LR in his house.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/07/21 06:13 PM
I lived in Turkey for a year and they had good ammo.
Most of it was 50 an 60s style of manufacturing with
fiber wads, but good ammo

Mike

p.s. I did drink the water smile
The Federal seconds ammo I get usually fails on inconsistent color on the hulls, or stains or marks on the brass.

There is nothing second about the downrange performance. That stuff doesn’t get out of the building.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Buzz Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/07/21 09:00 PM
Lucky because of where you live. Can you buy those shells now after/during Covid, Ted? How much a box?
Sent you a PM, Buzz.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Appears to me like the shotshell makers in Turkey have their act together and are living in and understanding the real world and times we live in; and not only that understand marketing and packaging strategies...........l

I fancy this statement. We, as hunters, whatever gun related, too need to adopt this platform & not retreat in seclusion practicing our >>Dastardly<< Sport.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 03:27 PM
I expanded the view of the load details on one of the AntiDrone loads. It is an 89 gram payload. That's 3.14 ounces. Sounds like a "nose-bleeder" to me.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 03:43 PM
89 mm length?
3.5 inches.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 03:52 PM
That could be it, Tom. The picture wasn't really clear when I enlarged it. That could have been length, not payload.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 04:03 PM
Stanton, 89 is the length.
It’s to the right of the “12 gauge” descriptor on the box.
The other pic shows 70mm , which , when divided by 25.4 mm/inch, is a standard 2.75” cartridge.
The box artwork is excellent, IMO. I like how the drone gets more advanced with the stouter load.

3 ounces of lead is market-hunter territory out of a small punt gun.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that…
Posted By: Parabola Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 04:43 PM
Sadly there is a serious purpose to this stuff in their Tactical range.

Recently a tanker was attacked in the Gulf by a drone that dropped bombs which killed 2 crew members.

The usual suspects have not claimed responsibility thus far.

In those circumstances recoil is the least of your worries.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Parabola
Sadly there is a serious purpose to this stuff in their Tactical range.

Recently a tanker was attacked in the Gulf by a drone that dropped bombs which killed 2 crew members.

The usual suspects have not claimed responsibility thus far.

In those circumstances recoil is the least of your worries.

Abrams tanks have an externally mounted M2 and an M240 on a pintle.
I think I’d empty those at a drone before I used my birdgun.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Abrams tanks have an externally mounted M2 and an M240 on a pintle.
I think I’d empty those at a drone before I used my birdgun.

You can get an Ortolan deep fryer in the Abrams for another million bucks. We had a member looking into it a few years ago.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 06:27 PM

Most rotor platform drones really don't get that high because they just can't fly all that long. So a smaller load can be employed.

Fixed wing platforms usually flat at a height near 120 metres, so a stouter load would be required, but I am not sure just how close to 120 metres a shotgun would reach?

Case law on just how high a property owner owns is 83 feet set by a Federal Case of a chicken farmer in North Carolina I think it was during WWII. As the Big Bombers took off or landed, the noise generated resulted in the chickens sacrificing themselves on the other end of the pen. So he sued and 83 feet was the result.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
I didn't know they deep fried Ortolans- a songbird found in Europe and usually in the French Burgundy wine growing regions-- steamed Ortolans are a delicacy, in the same league as truffles and artichoke hearts- Bon Appetit!! Le Reynauld!!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I didn't know they deep fried Ortolans…

Ever talk to a tanker? Generally dumber than a bag of bricks which makes them at least twice as smart as your average Texan. They deep fry everything.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/09/21 09:05 PM
To convert bars to psi, multiply by 14.5. That's assuming the Turks are using transducers to measure pressure and not the old crushers (which resulted in lead units of pressure--LUP--rather than true psi. Older members may remember LUP from reloading manuals.) For a long time, our British friends confused things by marking their guns with bars values . . . but they were still measuring with crushers.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/12/21 02:28 PM
Smoking over the box quite closely, I see that the ammo is not designed for >>Wrapped<< barrels, which I think they mean pattern welded tubes?

Also, there's the Hungarian HU ammo stamp along w/ >>CIP M<< and I do not think Turkey is a member?

https://yeniexpo.com/shop/electroni...-victory-sport-9mm-traumatic-cartridges/
But if one thumbs thru the images of the above TURAC 9mm ammo, one sees Hungarian proof docs. So, the TURAC >>Exclusive<< shotshell ammo must be manufactured in Hungary?

Or just tested in Hungary????

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/12/21 02:48 PM

https://www.gwct.org.uk/proof-marks-for-steel-shot-free-guide/

Too, I found the above interesting as here we typically do not discuss ammunition proofmarks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/12/21 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Or just tested in Hungary????

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Just tested in Hungary.

I just checked the boxes of some of my USA made ammunition:

Winchester 12 gauge "Super Targets" and 20 gauge "Universal" are CIP tested in Liege, Belgium.

A box of Remington 12 gauge was CIP tested in Munich, Germany.

At least some USA manufacturers submit ammunition to a CIP proof house for testing. I believe that if they want to sell their ammunition in a CIP signatory country it must be CIP tested.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 08/19/21 12:07 AM
Too, I picked up some >>Black Aces<< in Double Aught and it is made by Clever - s.r.l. Italy.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/19/21 01:08 PM
Yesterday afternoon @ a small family gathering, a distance Cousin by marriage, who is an Armed Forces sharpshooter instructor & military platform weapons expert, and I were talking about what was the missing link of the current production ammo shortage. Availability of components like primers were considered but he mentioned that the larger makers like Federal, Winchester, etc. where suppliers to our military and that their cut would come 1st. If true, anyone have any idea of what portion of weekly production is solely allocated to our military?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/20/21 10:45 AM
Because of the continuous rotation of stock and recycling of surplus ammunition, the volumes the feds purchase are mind boggling.

I received news notices of the contracts that Federal received just for 300 WinMag, and it was incomprehendible. 10’s of millions of pieces.

I am more of the opinion that this is just like the eight dollar and 50 Cent big Mac meal deal, as long as people are willing to pay it the price isn’t coming down, same for ammunition. There’s no point in making ammunition that makes no profit, when you can sell all you can make at five times the profit.
Posted By: SKB Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/20/21 10:54 AM
Are you suggesting that capitalism and supply/demand are at work instead of a conspiracy? wink
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/20/21 11:15 AM
Interestingly, this is were ammunition and facemasks and contracts with the federal government overlap.

As was presented before Congress, one of the American manufacturers of facemasks was not going to invest in additional tooling or manufacturing capability, specifically because when the federal government decides they no longer need the product, they dump everything they have on the market. Consequently he had spent millions building a factory, only to shut it down, and have the federal government become his competition on eBay.

I believe the ammunition manufacturers are not tooling up to produce greater quantities, because they know that in short order they will have created their own competition.

Capital budgeting is capital budgeting.

You are not going to put millions of dollars into additional production, knowing that you won’t need it five years from now.
Posted By: SKB Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/20/21 11:25 AM
I agree completely, IMR says as much when questioned on the matter. Not going to invest in increased capacity as they do not see long term demand justifying the required capital investment.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 09/20/21 01:23 PM
Thanks fellas as that is about the general consensus of what we devised & where we arrived.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 10/14/21 12:57 PM
Not only is Turkey selling anti - Drone cartridges, but Armed Drones too. Seems they have cornered the market?

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...les-ethiopia-morocco-sources-2021-10-14/

Interesting that they can peddle them cheaper than China, Israel & the U.S. of A.??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: LeeS Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 10/14/21 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Not only is Turkey selling anti - Drone cartridges, but Armed Drones too. Seems they have cornered the market?

That would seem to be a logical evolution in "Live Bird" events that even PETA might condone.
How would you adapt rules & scores when the Bird can shoot back?
Maybe even create variations of FITASC that include AI drone piloting to anticipate, adapt & expand the evasion & retaliation strategies of the "Bird".

+2 -if your competitor is eliminated by Bird.
+3 -if Woke protester eliminated by Bird.
-1 -if Bird wounds you first.
+3 -if you manage to eliminate the Bird in spite of you're being wounded.
"No Score" -if Bird eliminates you.
"Lost Bird" -Run for Cover if Bird decides there is something more interesting over the horizon & pursues Him/Her/it/Them with a Vengeance!

Something Special -for tie score Shoot-Off "Elimination" rounds.
A new level of Focus & Pucker-Factor would accompany the "Flurry" event sick

The mind boggles with the possibilities laugh
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 10/16/21 03:16 PM
Along the lines of cartridges, I have been sourcing some 32 bore cartridges such as Rio, Fiocchi, Federal. On the various websites, Federal is noted as being >>Made in the USA<< but when the boxes arrived, they are stamped >>Made in Italy<< and they are for the most part one in the same as Fiocchi, with Federal roll stamped on the sides.

But considering the brass plated heads, what dictates just how long it is to be???

The Rio cartridges are 0.320" in length

whilst the Fiocchi cartridges are 0.280" in length.

I haven't had any issue with the Rio or the Federals but the Fiocchis have had a few misfires? The shorter brass head seems to drop just slightly deeper in the chamber but the Federal & Fiocchi have the same length brass head.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 11/03/21 06:00 PM
Over the past weekend @ a local gunshop, I overheard someone comment that Fiocchi had a factory in Missouri or similar as they were getting most there components in the U.S. of A. anyway. If true, then this could explain the Federal 32 bore cartridges? I saw lots of 16(70mm) bore cartridges from yesteryear. Shot sizes ranged from #9s to #4s. I couldn't pass up the #9s in a Ziplock bag......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 11/05/21 01:05 PM
I shot three rounds of skeet with Sterling ammo yesterday. It worked fine and was clean burning. The shells heads seem to be all brass and it cycled fine through a gun that doesn't like brass plated steel shells.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo - 11/05/21 01:37 PM
Many thanks for the info.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com