doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 05:20 PM
Other than this gun being roughly $4,000 overpriced, do y'all think the stock on this gun is cracked just below the side panel? Seems pretty obvious to me.
JR

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...4NMUFICB1Z380C/22013_11.JPG?format=1500w
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 05:22 PM
Yup.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 05:33 PM
As usual, good eye, Ted. The ASE Gold is a fairly rare continuation of the ASE 90 family. The Greystone receivers on these versions are really nice looking, but they just are not anywhere near worth $9250. A new DT-11 can be bought for the same price, and it is a better gun for their intended purpose. I suppose you can always troll for a mullett...
JR
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 06:09 PM
Crack?
It looks more like a break.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Crack?
It looks more like a break.

Thanks. Better term and more accurate.
JR
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Cracked stock? - 08/02/21 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
As usual, good eye, Ted.JR

I was on lunch break at work, and took a fast look. At home, blowing up the picture on the screen, I can’t believe what an ugly repair that is.

Dewey didn’t work on that one.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: damascus Re: Cracked stock? - 08/05/21 09:38 AM
That looks like the stock makers nightmare an internal stock blank crack. This sort of problem could be hidden by a craft stock maker because he would have sufficient matching wood he had removed during the basic shaping to patch it. Like a lot of production today the use of duplicators for producing the stocks basic shape with wood removed that is a little better than sawdust so no chance of a good patch repair. It looks like the crack has been filled with an epoxy filler and leveled down before it was truly hard, Oh! the benefits of mass production and poor quality control, and a machine minder's ham fisted attempt to make things better.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com