doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:07 AM
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdo...9&msg=2021+Dove+Season&font=slab

But ..........whose counting?
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:35 AM
Woohoo!
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 03:03 AM
I hope you have a GREAT season Stan.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
I hope you have a GREAT season Stan.
Me too Mrs jOnes
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 05:13 AM
still don git hit...watts the big deal bout sittin on yo ass an shootin song birds as they fly by...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
still don git hit...

And, what's more, you never will. Might be best if you stopped trying and moved on. Could help with that boredom and frustration ........
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 11:37 AM
is this sum kinda flatlander social ritual...where it aint so much bout the birds an the dogs, as it is more about the beer an the bullshit...
Posted By: mc Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 01:15 PM
And this edd is why your so popular
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:17 PM
cannot make every one happy, all of the time...but do make most happy, most of the time...
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:41 PM
When I shoot I never drink any type of alcohol. Was raised that the two never were to be done together. In fact I have excused a couple friends from hunting with me on my farm when they started imbibing. Simply explained due to liability they could no longer shoot. They took it well, a bit embarrassed I suspect. Guest follow rules or are no longer guest.

As to shooting songbirds Ed, they are really tasty birds, who can be a challenge to shoot after opening day. Giveme a plate full of bacon wrapped, grilled dove breast and I am a happy camper. Opening day of Dove season is our Glorious 12 equivalent. The start of another hopeful season of great days afield to build memories for a lifetime.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:46 PM
Well all my honey holes got planted with soy beans this year and no corn. So I will be looking for other spots to shoot. Good thing is I have two new Rizzini's to try out.
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 02:56 PM
ky, agreed booze and firearms can be a dangerous combination...

an..."they are really tasty birds, who can be a challenge to shoot after opening day. Giveme a plate full of bacon wrapped, grilled dove breast and I am a happy camper. Opening day of Dove season is our Glorious 12 equivalent. The start of another hopeful season of great days afield to build memories for a lifetime."...well, when you put that way, it sounds pretty appealling...

however, we do not do that sorta thing up here in the northeast...never did, never will...different traditions an awl dat...plus, doves seem to roost and feed all around me...they are gentle little birds, that seem to harm no other creature... plus, in the evening, their melodic call, coo, coo, coo...sorta reminds me of my youth, when at sunset, one would hear..bob white...bob white...
Posted By: John Roberts Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 03:04 PM
is this sum kinda flatlander social ritual...where it aint so much bout the birds an the dogs, as it is more about the beer an the bullshit...
I submit "Exhibit A" to show clueless and uninformed our resident idiot is. Now, mind you, I do believe he knows plenty about beer and bullshit...
JR
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 03:19 PM
john, will forgive you that one...respect you too much to make you an enemy here...

an yeah, in the summer time, when its hot up here (over 85 degrees), i do drink ah beer now an then...an as for bullshit, well i pontificate year round with gusto!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 05:04 PM
Forget the doves, ed…

… i do drink ah beer now an then...

…go down and share a cold sixer with Stan…

...an as for bullshit, well i pontificate year round with gusto!

…and plot a revolution.

Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 06:18 PM
you wont find me south of nh until november...too damn hot udderwise...

too old an tried to plot much of any thin...cept ah nap...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 06:22 PM
ed, you can ruin a thread faster than a tomcat pissing on a face mask.

I do not go to dove shoots to drink, or bullshit. I go to test my mettle against hard, fast flying doves. I had rather eat them than a good steak. I don't go where the drinking and shooting are mixed. And I don't tolerate idiots and fools well. So, how about taking YOUR stupid garbage somewhere else.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 06:36 PM
My favorite part is looking around and seeing all of the smiles. It turns everyone back into a boy it seems.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 07:11 PM
I'll miss the first week but hopefully Skeettx will leave me a few later on. Surely in the 7.6 million acres of the Texas Panhandle someone will forget a particular honey hole.....
Posted By: Mills Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 07:15 PM
The REAL most wonderful time of the year! Even have a new gun on the way to open up the season.
Posted By: ed good Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 08:11 PM
ok, no more comments from me on this thread...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
ed, you can ruin a thread faster than a tomcat pissing on a face mask.

I don't tolerate idiots and fools well. So, how about taking YOUR stupid garbage somewhere else.

Only a "stupid fool" would let a Tom cat piss in his face...

Must be a South Georgia thing....you know what I'm talking about.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 09:45 PM
I don't wear face masks, I actually think they are silly, so I'll concede that was a poor comparison.

Don't live in S. Georgia, so you'll have to take that up with somebody else.

One thing for sure, yOu and ed can sure sidetrack a thread. I'll try to get this back on track.

Haven't decided which .410 will get the nod for opening day. jOe's favorite, the Yildiz ............

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Or his second favorite, the Dickinson ...........

Or, the FAIR Iside TG .............

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 11:48 PM
I think we should take up a collection and get Fox an airline ticket to your dove hunt.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/29/21 11:51 PM
Knock yourself out (so to speak wink ).
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 10:06 AM
Is John coming with some of his special arse lick'n good barbeque sauce ?
Posted By: Buzz Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 10:34 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but let’s hear about some good dove recipes. I’ve cooked some on a grill before, rare, and they were ok, but nothing great. Sure not as good as quail or ruffed grouse. How can I make them good to eat?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 10:59 AM
For a dove to be good to eat you have to like liver....or drinking beer.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 11:15 AM
Good idea, Buzz.

Fresh mushrooms
Bell peppers
Doves
Salt
Pepper
Worcestershire sauce
Wine

Sautee' the sliced 'shrooms and peppers (add onions if you care for them) in olive oil until done, then remove them temporarily. Simmer the salted and peppered doves in the remaining olive oil and veggie drippings until rare inside (they won't be totally browned outside). Add back the veggies, add some Worcestershire sauce to taste. I like a good bit. Add 1/2 cup of wine, cover, and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Serve over rice.

This is a recipe my wife came up with many years ago for her loving husband. She couldn't run me off, now.

One thing I've learned to do that makes grilled dove breasts better is to precook the bacon which you use to wrap the breasts, in the microwave, until half done, but still pliable. Then, wrap it on the breasts before grilling. This way the bacon can finish cooking completely on the doves without overcooking the breast meat. I also like to marinate the doves in a citrus salad dressing overnight, before grilling them. Hard to find it, but one company sells an orange based salad dressing that works well.

I've a close dove shooting buddy that cooks us a huge pot of doves in brown gravy once a year. He slow cooks them all afternoon in the gravy, then we have them for supper with grits, homemade biscuits and sides. Wonderful, but I have not a clue how to start cooking them that way.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe

Neither, for me. I hate liver but love doves. They taste nothing alike, IMO. I once ate 17 doves at one sitting, with nothing to drink but water.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 11:54 AM
I bet you had the runs the next day....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 11:55 AM
Knock yourself out (so to speak wink ).

Does this mean Fox has an O'ficial invite ?
Posted By: GLS Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 12:27 PM
As for gamebirds tasting like liver, author Stephen Bodio has this to say:
“Also notice the color of the cut flesh. Like all good Woodcock (and snipe) cooks, he sort of passes them through a very hot oven. I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds “taste like liver”- good LIVER doesn’t taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): “As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol.” Gil
Posted By: craigd Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 01:33 PM
Thanks for bringing back the countdown Stan.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
... cream of mushroom soup...“As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place..."

Absolutely correct. We have a weekly long running outdoors show here and the 'wild game cooking segment' used to feature a woman named Kathy who dumped canned mushroom slime on everything, no matter what it was, every week. Enough to gag a maggot.

I've had grilled marinated dove bacon wrapped with a slice of jalapeno. It's delicious.

I see no reason why they couldn't be pan fried in fresh corn oil after being dredged in Drake's Crispy Fry Mix and served with a dipping sauce of your choice. That's my favorite way to cook pheasants.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
…cream of mushroom soup…

Aboot all it’s good for…

Originally Posted by craigd
Thanks for bringing back the countdown Stan.

Got the hockey counter going too, craigd. Or not a fan?

Anyone see that dove fly into the girls face in New Jersey?

Posted By: John Roberts Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 03:10 PM
Pretty sure that was a seagull.
JR
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 03:15 PM

Neither, for me. I hate liver but love doves. They taste nothing alike, IMO. I once ate 17 doves at one sitting, with nothing to drink but water.

Reminds me of Paul Newman's boast in the classic movie "Cool Hand Luke": I can eat fifty eggs....Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Pretty sure that was a seagull.
JR

I’m trying real hard… [to stay on topic.]

Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 03:29 PM
I have to figure out what to shoot now.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 04:24 PM

Maybe TN Dove are just different. I have had Dove in ten or more states so far, not TN, but none of them tasted like liver. My favorite way is grilled wrapped in bacon, some with a pepper inserted under the bacon or as shish kabobs with sweet onion, mushroom and pepper in between breast. Years ago I picked six birds and wife lightly roasted them for company. She put a orange segment with a bit of oyster dressing in the body cavity to keep moist. Served over wild rice with oyster dressing as a side and a salad. Looked like mini roasted chickens. A lot of work but they were delicious. Friend strips the meat off the breast and cuts up into strips like mini chicken strips. Batters and quick fries them for maybe 30 seconds. Batter is crispy and the meat is still rare. They were very tasty. None of these tasted like liver or if your liver taste like them please tell me how you cook your live, I am doing it wrong.
Posted By: Buzz Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 04:45 PM
Overcooked, I think they taste like liver. I undercooked some once on a charcoal grill, rare, rare, and my bud vomited them back up. OMG…..
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 04:59 PM
You are correct Buzz. Same with shrimp
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 05:13 PM
I've had some bad shrimp, but never one that tasted like liver...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 05:19 PM
Overcook the hell out of it and it will. I hope you shoot that Daly this year. That gun was made for you!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
Overcook the hell out of it and it will. I hope you shoot that Daly this year. That gun was made for you!

Choices, choices. Yeah, it'll probably be the Featherweight Daly...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/30/21 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern

Reminds me of Paul Newman's boast in the classic movie "Cool Hand Luke": I can eat fifty eggs....Geo

Big difference. I didn't plan on eating any certain amount, or brag on doing it. I know better. Ate 14 grilled ones once. Woulda eaten a full limit but we ran out too soon.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/31/21 11:10 AM

Why not use your old dOve threads and we could have a post count that rivals the O'riely thread....

I know for sure you'd click on it a zillion times.

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Ate 14 grilled ones once.

How do you grill an egg ?
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 07/31/21 05:53 PM
How do you grill an egg ?

Take it out of its protective carton and place precariously close to the edge of a table and start screaming at it…

I am set this season, will try my best to capitalize with those speed demons with the little AYA 410.

Rich
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/02/21 12:23 AM
Good luck, Rich.

33 days, and counting ...............
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/02/21 03:41 PM
Stan I planted three fields this year. We have had too much rain and one field is just a poor example of a Dove field with weeds in sunflowers and corn stunted by too much water. The second field looks decent, with wheat waiting for strip mowing, sunflowers bending over with enormous heads and corn head high, for cover. The best field has everything growing like crazy with corn almost nine feet high. Now if only birds are around we should be in business. My countdown is sooner as September 1 is our start. Wish you and everyone here has a safe and bountiful season.
Thanks Stan,
I’ll be glued to this sight reading all the great shooting from our board members

Rich
Site, not sight.. RWTF
Posted By: PawleysJim Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/03/21 04:04 PM
We planted 3 fields in corn, sunflower, wheat & rice...almost didn't get anything in. Early season plantings had good rain, but we had to wait through a 2 month drought and got the sunflowers in 80 days before our opener Sept. 4th.
Hope that our sunflowers are the 70 day variety... we have had decent rain since and are looking forward to a great season, well a better season than last year...setting a low bar with that! Last year suxed!!

BTW, early season I'll be shooting my Janssen & Son 20 ga. and later in the season A 2.5' 16 LC Smith field.
Posted By: GLS Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/06/21 09:10 PM
As long as we don't have a hurricane blow them out of here, we should a good opening. Dummy powerline is a quarter mile long and runs lengthways through a 30 acre field. Photo taken earlier this week. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/06/21 11:49 PM
Wow; that's a lot of birds!...Geo
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 01:14 AM
You ain't trying to weasel into Foxes spot are you George ?
Posted By: spring Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 12:13 PM
Hopefully they'll stick around. In our area with all of the agriculture, you can have a lot of birds one day on a corn field harvested in August, but when a neighbor pulls his peanuts, or who knows what in September, they're gone! smile
Good luck!
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 12:58 PM
Very true
Posted By: John Roberts Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 03:14 PM
The dove population in my area has been on the decline for many years due to the steady disappearance of row-crop farming. With the advent of legalized baiting (disc up 2-3 acres and layer it with wheat) around every bend in the road by the local good ol' boys who blast them morning and afternoon for the 3-day Labor Day weekend until the local thin population has been wiped out, It gets to be less each passing year.

I've tried to convince the Miss. Dept. of Wildlife to only allow afternoon-only hunts/shoots on opening weekend to extend the resource somewhat. They look at you like you've got two heads.
JR
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 03:52 PM
You ain't trying to weasel into Foxes spot are you George ?

Nah,jOe. Plenty of doves around my south GA area and I've been opening the dove season with the same guys for many years, some since we were in high school together about sixty years ago. Not near as many of us as there used to be but new generations make up the loss. I often hunt now with the kids of the kids who grew up around our home playing with my kids. I hope that my grandsons enjoy the same lifetime hunting camaraderie with my old friend's grandkids as my generation did with our old hunting buddies...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/07/21 04:06 PM
I'm finally taking the day off for the opener this year
You Dixie based gents might find it interesting to read, or re-read Nash Buckingham's "The Dove"-- he talks about baiting, arbitrary distances or zones and what a nightmare that fiasco was to enforce, 1/2 day seasons (also might work for waterfowling too) and other sage bits of wisdom from De Shootin'ist G'entman hisownself>> RWTF
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/08/21 05:10 AM
Fox most all Southern dove hunters bait in one way or another.

Once I asked a Federal game warden if he could explain the difference between hunting a field expressly planted and manipulated to shoot dove on and hunting a field that the guy just threw out grain on....he really had no answer.

Maybe Stan can explain the difference between bait and bait.

Kinda like lipstick on a pig beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Look closely and you'll see the sag in that powerline- what's the aprox. weight of a dove, by the way?
can we substitute grits for the pablum? RWTF I love grits..
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/09/21 11:10 AM
Fox along with baited fields some Southern "Sportsmsn" even go so far as to put up phoney power line wires so the doves will come in and lite....power wire shooting doved rates a little above ground swating quail

Only good thing that might have came from your trip is when you out shot Stanley and his famous Yiltz shootgun..
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/12/21 07:44 PM
Good luck, Rich.

33 days, and counting ...............

You pay for that dove field with your Corona virus farm loan ?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/13/21 01:02 AM
Only good thing that might have came from your trip..

"have came" Rotflmao
JR
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/13/21 04:32 AM
I'm glad you had a good laugh Cuzin John Robert's.....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/20/21 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
The dove population in my area has been on the decline for many years due to the steady disappearance of row-crop farming. With the advent of legalized baiting (disc up 2-3 acres and layer it with wheat) around every bend in the road by the local good ol' boys who blast them morning and afternoon for the 3-day Labor Day weekend until the local thin population has been wiped out, It gets to be less each passing year.

I've tried to convince the Miss. Dept. of Wildlife to only allow afternoon-only hunts/shoots on opening weekend to extend the resource somewhat. They look at you like you've got two heads.
JR

John you need to read Meditations on Hunting and read the chapter explaining why hunting seasons always seem like they were better in the past....
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/21/21 10:51 AM
14 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes to go ...........
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/21/21 12:27 PM
Better get the bait throwed out...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/31/21 11:10 AM
14 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes to go ...........
Fox is waiting with baited breath for pictures of the dead baited Dove.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/31/21 11:31 PM
Three days, sixteen hours, thirty minutes ...............
Posted By: Buzz Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 08/31/21 11:36 PM
Three days, sixteen hours, thirty minutes ...............
Have fun Stan.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 09/01/21 12:11 AM
I can hardly wait, Buzz. Having missed out on the entire early, and mid, seasons last year I'm especially excited this time around.

My best to you.
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 09/01/21 12:18 AM
11 hours, 37 min and it’s go time!
Posted By: mel5141 Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 09/01/21 02:51 AM
In the Morning can't wait...... I am as anxious now as I was when I was allowed to go along as a 6 year old retriever. Got to start shooting "AT" them as a 7 year old...... the excitement never wanes, hope it never does.......The BEST part of the year starts Tomorrow
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 09/01/21 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by mel5141
In the Morning can't wait...... I am as anxious now as I was when I was allowed to go along as a 6 year old retriever. Got to start shooting "AT" them as a 7 year old...... the excitement never wanes, hope it never does.......The BEST part of the year starts Tomorrow

Kindred spirits ..........

Merry Dovemas, Paul
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer - 09/03/21 10:23 AM
Well....are you hung over from shooting doves over that baited field ?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com