doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan “White Bag” shot - 07/16/21 01:05 PM
Came on some plain bag 8’s for sale. (Seems I also saw them advertised somewhere else. Maybe BP??) The story is they came from a major ammo producer who had a defective run (powder drop, primer, something) and had to de-load the whole run. Since they’re almost 20% cheaper than current West Coast/Lawrence I’m considering stocking up.

Anyone know the real story?

Also, your feedback would be appreciated if you’re already using it.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: “White Bag” shot - 07/16/21 01:38 PM
Buy it and shoot it. Just taking a guess here….you’re probably not an Olympic or serious competition shooter (aka doing it to make your money) so it doesn’t really matter if the shot is ultra fantastic super dooper finest quality stuff. If you can get the stuff cheap, buy as much as you can, load it up and enjoy it.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: “White Bag” shot - 07/16/21 03:32 PM
A lot of recycled shot is packed in plain bags and size control, and cleanlyness can be a problem.

bill
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: “White Bag” shot - 07/19/21 12:43 PM
Over the weekend I had time to open a bag and sample it.
Nice uniform 8’s with very little variance. Seems to support the story of new shot de-loaded from a run of defective shot shells. I’m going to stock up.

I also checked back and it was at BP where I saw a similar description of shot so they may have gotten a bunch of it, too.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/09/21 10:34 PM
After shooting a bunch of this and finding it just fine (thanks Dustin), I finished up this morning’s loading and took a closer look at it. Scanning a dozen+ drops from my 3/4 oz charge bar (which drops 305 #8 pellets) they averaged one copper plated, one flat and a half dozen or so “rough” pellets per drop. It’s not Lawrence but it’s far better than recycled.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/09/21 11:15 PM
Wish I could get my hands on some.
Posted By: gil russell Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/09/21 11:35 PM
Wish I could too! Last I bought was maybe a year ago #9s, good quality for $35 a bag. Maybe those days are over? I'd use 8s for skeet and be glad to have it. Gil
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/10/21 01:54 AM
The LME price of lead indicates shot should be well under $30/bag, rip off!

Bill
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/10/21 02:00 AM
I've been able to buy shot regularly this summer, but you gotta know how to look for it and be willing to expend some effort.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/26/21 12:28 AM
From the for-what-its-worth department, I came on this comment on the reloaders forum of Shotgun World regarding BP’s white bag/value shot.

“I called and asked about all of their lead shot a couple weeks ago and his description of Value Shot was, "It is factory shot". I said that I needed to know relative hardness compared to Eagle Mag and Lawrence Mag that they also had in stock at the time. He replied, "Factory is very soft plain lead and Eagle Magnum is soft compared to Lawrence Magnum.“
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: “White Bag” shot - 11/26/21 03:50 AM
Whats the going price for Lawrence Chilled? Stumbled across several hundred pounds of it at $50/bag, but not really wanting 7.5s.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com