doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AZMike Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 12:49 AM
I read an article in DGJ (V1 issue 4) by Randy Willard describing a clay target game called "Scottish Grouse"
Does anyone have information about the game?
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 03:17 AM
Don't know if this is the same game.....This Saturday the Northern Chapter of the California Side By Side Society is having a "Grouse Butt Shoot" at Comanche Hills Gun Club, Multiple clay targets coming directly at you in rapid succession from different angles. Rapid reload required. You are postioned in various enclosures below the flight lines, similar to a "Grouse Butt" (English Term) It is a fast and furious game.
Sounds like loads of fun to me (as long as you aren't required to dress up like a Scottish or English baron or nobleman, and pretend to be such).
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 11:57 AM
Promatic has been marketing a trailer with four or six mounted traps (to simulate a covey of birds flying at you) for some time.

I think they were renting them out for events as well.

Perhaps this is the back bone behind your event?
Posted By: AZMike Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 01:03 PM
For turkey shoots I have had flurry style games with 20 targets in 1 minute with two gunners, very fast and fun.
I am fishing for information more about the Scottish Grouse as written. It looks perfect for my Western White Flyer target machine collection.
Thanks, Mike
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 02:56 PM
my memory of this is poor but a Skeet field was used for a game called Scottish grouse, for the life of me I can't remember how they modify where you stand and shoot from. I do believe the rotation of the targets isn't set as in skeet, so it's more of surprise which bird is coming.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 04:42 PM

You're not gonna make us wear this stuff for the Cow Pasture Shoot are you Mike? wink
https://www.williamevans.com/guide-to-shooting/what-to-wear-game-shooting
Posted By: mc Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 06:02 PM
Looks like a good time
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/13/21 06:49 PM
That's it Drew, thanks for the video..
Posted By: AZMike Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/14/21 12:12 AM
Drew, a number of shooters complained that the tweed was irritating and even causing some rashes! It has been proposed that this winter the "Uniform of the Day" for the Cow Pasture Shoot would be Mariachi or Chingaso ("no stinkin' badges"). Facial hair will be a personal choice of course.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/16/21 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause

You're not gonna make us wear this stuff for the Cow Pasture Shoot are you Mike? wink
https://www.williamevans.com/guide-to-shooting/what-to-wear-game-shooting

I’ll admit to having a very nice silk tie that features pheasants; I’ve never worn it shooting.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/16/21 04:26 PM
Must be trick photography; nobody shoots that well. But I might buy a pheasant tie...Geo
Posted By: damascus Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/17/21 12:55 PM
Just a few thoughts on this expensive toy. The day out on the moor was missing the horizontal rain with some face stinging hale stones making it rather difficult to keep both eyes open to see what you are shooting at, not to mention the biting cold to round things of for a days shooting on a Scottish grouse moor. Now as for that miracle of engineering they did not talk about its three EX price tag, Expensive to purchase. Expensive to run. Expensive to repair, well it aint going to be repaired when it ceases to function using an Oil can and a hammer especially when it has been out in out Brit Weather for a month or two. A full on site maintenance contract will be a must, a number of jammed launchers will have people tearing their hair out!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/17/21 01:15 PM
6 birds coming at a gunner is very nice, but 4 is an adequate challenge.
6 leaves 33% automatic waste for the club holding the event.

Digweed can routinely shoot 5 of the 6 birds when double gunning.
(2 exchanges)

I’ve been toying with using 4 electronic wobble traps on a suitable trailer for private practice.

Launching them down a hill with 2 of the 4 wobbling as well as oscillating should be an adequate challenge.

It is very much an exercise in picking out individual targets within a rapidly moving group.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/18/21 05:56 PM
The original Upper Peninsula SxS shoot had something similar, although it was powered by trap boys.
Posted By: KS16ga Re: Scottish Grouse (clay target game) - 07/18/21 06:12 PM
Having ejectors rather then extractors would definitely help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com