doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Ammo find - 06/27/21 03:58 PM
Local gun shop had several flats of Kent 2 1/2" 21 grams, (3/4 ounce), 1200 fps shells on hand. Last month they have had nothing at all to sell. CIP level pressure. Guess they are their low recoil version of the AA lite target loads. Told me he was trying to get whatever he could right now. Flat cost $115.00 which was decent for what I consider a specialty load, limit one flat per person or group. He sold 25 out of 40 flats in about a week he said, so they are being bought up at a decent rate. I am sure if they were Remington shells they would all be bought up in a couple days. Still interesting to see them here at all. Maybe a sign that the ammo drought is nearing being over and I am going to keep a positive outlook about ammo.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Ammo find - 06/27/21 04:52 PM
I am also looking for a flat of 2 1/2" shells. Been checking RST weekly and my other contact for ammo is not responding to my calls. I am looking for 7/8 or 3/4 ounce loads in *8 or 7 1/2.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ammo find - 06/27/21 10:24 PM
Sorry to be negative, but $11.50 a box plus tax doesn't seem like good shooting, unless each shell results in a live bird. Clay targets, not so much.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ammo find - 06/28/21 01:08 AM
Prices are not what they use to be for certain Eightbore. But $11.50
Factory is not that crazy these days. Been a long time since I bought Remington All American 12 bore ammo for $48.00/500 case price. Lead shot use to be $16.00/100 weight when I first started reloading. Remington 209 primers were at $10.00/1,000
Just 20 years ago. I bought two pallets if lead shot at $11.00 a bag and I though my wife was going to have me committed. That shot lasted me and my two boys almost a decade. I just used up the last 10,000 Remington 209 primers that I bought for under $12.00/1,000. Both of those days are long behind us I am sure.

When I see people talk about dollar a round ammo for what we use to pay ten cents a round for it all is crazy to me. Perhaps my kids will tell tales about shells being as cheap as $115.00 a flat when they were young.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Ammo find - 06/28/21 11:51 PM
I bought the first four pack of Federal trap loads that I have been able to at Wal Mart today, $22 and change, which, is about where it was back when the riots in Minneapolis last year made it all disappear.The ammunition was gone off the shelves, here, due to looting, before the issues of production cropped up later in the year. I’ve been looking, weekly, for over a year, and today is the first time I have seen it.
My kid decided against the high school trap league, for now, due to the ammunition issues of late. He will race mountain bikes, this fall. We can shoot informally at our club, as things develop.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Ammo find - 06/29/21 01:38 PM
I am taking the following as a sign that things are getting a little better and also some shooters are crazy. One of the places I shoot have shells for you to use there. He had Fed 12 ga 7/8 oz and Rem of Win 12 ga 1 1/8 loads out for a group outing. People opted to pay $1 more per box for the 1 1/8 load. This is a small bore friendly course that 7/8 oz loads will break every target. Since the 7/8 oz loads didn't sell I was able to secure some.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Ammo find - 06/29/21 03:10 PM
Back to killing a pheasant, head/neck extended , 50-60 yards straight up, with a steel pellet.

You need the speed, and you need the pellet size, for the energy.

It is an absolute miracle of metallurgy for a manufacturer to create lively barrels that can withstand what will sooner or later happen, which is bridging of the shot at the choke.

I’m not even sure what speed the pellet has to be traveling at at 60 yards to kill a well feathered late season pheasant.

And pattern density to make them clean kills.

I would think 3’s or 4’s in a 1 1/4oz at 1300 would be close.

Not for vintage sxs’s.
Prolly 11000 psi
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ammo find - 06/29/21 03:37 PM
A steel number 3 will penetrate 1.5” of ballistic gel at 40 yards if it has a muzzle velocity of 1450 FPS. Number 4 will do the same but at a shorter range of just over 30 yards. Steel is not very good at retaining velocity, hence energy, down range no matter how fast it starts out. I tried some of the Kent Teal loads which were about 1300FPS and found them to be very disappointing on small ducks. Number 5 would not cleanly kill bird at 20 yards. Dreadful in a hunting situation.

I figure 1.5” is minimum penetration to hit a vital on a pheasant or mid size duck or break a wing. You might get lucky with a golden bb but such things are not to be trusted. If you pattern steel at a real 50 and then 60 yards none of it has great patterns. Holes in a lot of places. Think about a large egg with two sticks off to the sides and a fingered sized stick sticking out front three or four inches. That’s the kill zone on a pheasant. And at 50-60 yards there are a lot of holes or really, really thin areas on that pattern board. I know some people who can kill birds at those ranges but I am not among them. I can and do kill 200-250 dove at long range every year, using a .410 so it is possible to kill birds at range. But dove only require .5” penetration for a clean kill.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com