doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunmaker AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/21/21 08:28 PM
A few years ago I created a .44mag double rifle in the vision a customer had for hunting black bears and hogs behind dogs. In doing so, you typically find yourself walking long distances, and shots are VERY short. Sometimes so short the bears can leave a mark!
This rifle took the .44mag concept and made it better for his needs. This one is in .480 Ruger, which is launching a 325gr HP/XTP at over 1450fps out of the 16 1/4” barrels. The rifle weighs 5lbs 12oz as pictured, and balances 1/4” behind the hinge. The selective ejectors make quick work of emptying the chambers. It is setup with a peep sight, but has provisions for a red dot. At 40yds it’ll put 4rnds at 3/4” if you do your part.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: John Roberts Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/21/21 08:51 PM
Very, very nice work. Spanish or maybe Belgian boxlock?
JR
Posted By: gunmaker Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/21/21 08:56 PM
Uggie 28bore BLE.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/21/21 10:20 PM
Nice work, as usual.
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 01:31 AM
Very interesting and very well done.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 04:44 AM
A long dead friend made a .444 marlin double rifle based on a 20 gauge Spanish double. His fifty yard target was almost as nice as yours. He used it to take one black bear and then suffered health issues. Often wondered where that double ended up. Your version looks very handy and your sight choice seems better than his setup. Should be a lot of fun for the new shooter.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 09:29 AM
That’s very cool…and I love the practical sight options.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 10:41 AM
Nice job, Aaron. The only thing I would want different on it would be a pistol grip. I have better control under recoil with one. I used a Ruger #3 (straight grip) in .45-70, with a 300 gr. FNHP, at 1500, in it. Killed a lot of deer but it was a single shot, and I didn't care much about a quick second shot. I bought a new #1 in the same caliber, which of course had a pistol grip. I liked it much better. Recoil should be roughly the same, I'd guess, with my load and yours. About that time hogs began to move in so I used it for them as well, with a Leopold M8-3X. Always wanted to try a set of NECG peep and big white front bead. Although I much prefer a square notch and post for fine work I believe I'd like the big open peep and big bead for close up stuff like hogs, in the daylight. Nightime hogs is a whole 'nuther ball game, for us.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 11:55 AM
Nice job....

Did we really need a Stanley story ?
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 04:11 PM
Love it!
Posted By: bushveld Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/22/21 11:27 PM
Aaron;

That double rifle is a real jewel. A really perfect set up for moderate range quick shooting and the straight stock is just the ticket for that. The barrel taper is done very well; and I cannot imagine that the shooter will even notices any recoil the way you have the barrels weighed and profiled. Barrel profile is very important in double rifle regulation and it is evident that you understand that.

Do I see a fold up/down front sight for night shooting?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell
Posted By: John Roberts Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/23/21 03:02 PM
Aaron,
Would you mind, since the owner is anonymous, telling us the total cost of this job, minus the donor gun, which should be somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range? Thanks.
JR
Posted By: gunmaker Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/23/21 08:49 PM
Cost to do a conversion starts at $4500 total plus tax if applicable with a 50% deposit due at beginning, this price doesn’t include the donor gun. My current backlog is around 2yrs.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/23/21 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Aaron;

That double rifle is a real jewel. A really perfect set up for moderate range quick shooting and the straight stock is just the ticket for that. The barrel taper is done very well; and I cannot imagine that the shooter will even notices any recoil the way you have the barrels weighed and profiled. Barrel profile is very important in double rifle regulation and it is evident that you understand that.

Do I see a fold up/down front sight for night shooting?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

You are correct, fold up/down front sight.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/23/21 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by gunmaker
Cost to do a conversion starts at $4500 total plus tax if applicable with a 50% deposit due at beginning, this price doesn’t include the donor gun. My current backlog is around 2yrs.

Pretty close to my guess. Shame the Ugartechea had such plain wood.
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/24/21 12:23 AM
Aaron,
Have you chronographed that load from those 16 1/4" barrels? I'm thinking they will produce a velocity in the 1700-1800 fps range. Just a w.a.g.,
but here's a BB 330 gr. load @ 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021044465?pid=556324
JR
Posted By: Buzz Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/24/21 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Aaron,
Would you mind, since the owner is anonymous, telling us the total cost of this job, minus the donor gun, which should be somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range? Thanks.
JR
Yeah John, pretty darned close, only $2,500 to $3,000 off on your $1500-$2,000 guess. Yep, real, real close. Sounds expensive to me, but definitely unique if a guy has a great need for such gun.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/24/21 02:05 AM
You're trying to pick a fight, buzz. Your sarcasm verifies it.

John estimated the cost of the donor gun to be in the $1500-2000 range. Aaron said the cost of the conversion, which doesn't include the cost of the donor gun, to start at the $4500 range.Where is the rub, that you see? No problem for me to understand the question and answer. Slow down a minute and read a little closer. You might not embarrass yourself.
Posted By: Buzz Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/24/21 02:10 AM
Not trying to pick a fight, but on re-reading John’s post, I think you are right. He was quoting the cost of original gun at $1500-2000. My bad. Conversion seems like a ton of work but expensive.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/24/21 02:15 AM
No problem, I misread posts often myself.

Best to you, SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/27/21 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
You're trying to pick a fight, buzz. Your sarcasm verifies it.

Buzz it sounds to me like Stanley Hillis is challenging you.

What ever you do Buzz don't fall for a shotgun shooting contest...here tell Stanley is quite the fabled X'spurt.

I'd make Sanford shoot his fabled junk foe hunned n tin SxS if you hope to stand any chance at all.
Posted By: GLS Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/28/21 12:55 PM
That looks like a fine rifle for the uses intended. The rear peep looks like a Skinner Lo-Pro or the Skinner Lo-Pro looks like one you've made. Either is quality. Hard to tell from photo but I can almost make out an angle of a dove tail joint for windage adjustment. I believe I can see a set screw on the left side of where the peep is mounted. Gil
Posted By: gunmaker Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/28/21 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Aaron,
Have you chronographed that load from those 16 1/4" barrels? I'm thinking they will produce a velocity in the 1700-1800 fps range. Just a w.a.g.,
but here's a BB 330 gr. load @ 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021044465?pid=556324
JR

The factory Hornady .480 Ruger 325gr HP/XTP rounds chrono at 1560fps 10’ from muzzle.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: AM Little/.480 Ruger double - 06/28/21 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
That looks like a fine rifle for the uses intended. The rear peep looks like a Skinner Lo-Pro or the Skinner Lo-Pro looks like one you've made. Either is quality. Hard to tell from photo but I can almost make out an angle of a dove tail joint for windage adjustment. I believe I can see a set screw on the left side of where the peep is mounted. Gil

Correct, rear peep is set into a dovetail for windage adjustment.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com