doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: teeny350 OT Moving to Maryland - 06/14/21 08:47 PM
Need some Maryland gun registration advice.

She who must not be named has informed me that post retirement we are moving near her family in maryland.

What is the impact on my firearm collection?

Mostly competition and SxS shotguns, several rifles and handguns as well as several "Assault Weapons"?

The Maryland State police website is pretty clear that the handguns require online registration; I not so clear about my semi auto rifles and high capacity mags.( HK SP5, M1A, PS90)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dave in Delaware
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/14/21 10:11 PM
If my wife said she was moving to MD I’d sure miss her.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/14/21 11:30 PM
My Dad served some time with the Marine Corps, in Maryland, post the time he served in New Jersey.

He left, and never looked back. He went home to Minnesota, but, was well aware a few years past, that, if he was younger, he would have to leave here, too. The good fishing/hunting doesn’t make up for what is happening in the seven county metro area.

I can’t imagine my wife telling me where we are going to live, regardless of who already lived there.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: teeny350 Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/14/21 11:59 PM
She's really pretty and tolerates me!
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 12:14 AM
you can bring your evil black rifles and magazines but you cant sell them here or transfer them ie give them away - yes you will need to register the handguns and EBR's. If you want more magazines you can drive to Virginia, Delaware or PA and buy more and bring them back, but they cant be shipped to you.
The rifles and shotguns are fine but if you want to sell them you will need to go through an FFL - the Left is in charge here. In Montgomery County where I live the only elected Rebublican is the Governor and that is a fluke, the Democrats ran a really bad candidate.
To join the fun... check out https://www.mdshooters.com/
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by teeny350
She's really pretty and tolerates me!

Can you live in PA, VA ( not NOVA ), or WV and be close enough?
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 12:29 AM
Delaware is close enough - it all depends on where in Maryland
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 01:47 AM
I sympathize with the OP. There are scary people claiming Delaware as home base.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 02:38 AM
I left MD 20 years ago for work and wife's new job. Intended to move back when I retired or sooner. No longer. Just sold my last of three farms. I loved MD but it is a one party state dominated by the population of the Baltimore Washington corridor. Both sides of the state are conservative by and large but their lack of numbers means they get dragged down by sheer numbers. Good roads, decent services, high taxes and very intrusive government just do not work well for me. If you must live there try to locate on either the Eastern Shore or Western MD. Delaware seems to be over run with people leaving New Jersey. Western Virginia is suffering from a influx of people moving from the DC suburbs. So no place is safe from those from outside moving there and trying to reshape their new homes into the crap spaces they just left. Just how bad is MD you wonder. A retired MD governor moved to Delaware when he was term limited out. I knew a couple of his new neighbors who complained that he wanted to change everything like to what he came from and he was till in charge. He was not and they did not.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 12:41 PM
Be sure to read and follow the laws about transporting firearms in your vehicle. Particularly as it pertains to handguns. There are very limited circumstances when you are allowed to transport a handgun outside of your home and there is specific way that it must be done.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 01:13 PM
Also CC permits in MD use to be difficult to obtain. It took me a bit to get mine. Can’t think they are any easier to get now. MD is not a very friendly state for legal gun owners. Road blocks, trip points and regulations are plenty. Some local ordinances also exist. If you stay to the rural ends of the state they are less intrusive. Hope you find what both you and your wife find acceptable. I have given up on MD and cashed in my chips. Good luck.
Posted By: Chantry Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 01:28 PM
Based on a conversation (as of 4-5 years ago) I had with a cowboy shooter who lives in MD, it is impossible to get a carry permit, regardless of what MD state law may say, you can jump through all the hoops and they will still deny you.

Depending on where your wife's family lives, I'd try hard to find a place in PA, WV or even VA.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/15/21 02:59 PM
Years ago the local State Police barracks commander had to personally sign off on the application. It was a must show cause type of application and still it was up to the whims of the commander who almost always declined to approve. Many got around this by becoming auxiliary deputy sheriffs who could get approved. I am sure that loophole has long been closed. I got mine because the commander was a neighbor. Well he told me that he was still not going to approve my application. OK I said. Asked him if he was still traveling to meet his girlfriend outside Berlin MD. The expression on his face was priceless. Doubt his wife would have been the same but maybe it would. Anyways for some reason mine went through. Pays to know people in MD or know things about people who think they are your masters in MD. One of the many reasons I am done with MD.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Moving to Maryland - 06/16/21 03:31 PM
Proof positive of the words of wisdom about cops and corruption- "Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners are Saints. "Mick Jaegger, 1967-- "Sympathy for the Devil".... RWTF
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com