doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chantry Re-barreling cost and shipping question - 05/01/21 04:04 PM
For those of you living in blue states, if you ship just the shotgun barrels out for work, what do you tell the shipper what is in the box?

For insurance purposes, what would be the approximate cost to re-barrel a Rigby 16 g side lever with the rising bite?

Thanks
Posted By: justin Re: Re-barreling cost and shipping question - 05/01/21 04:37 PM
I tell them it’s metal parts.
my guess is $15-20,000
I live in Florida and fedex and ups still don’t like guns
If they ask I say "precision machined parts". But, they hardly ever ask.
If I recall the US Postal Service instructions for shipping firearms (long guns), you must NOT tell the clerk what's in the box. You can also insure for very big bucks if you register the parcel, something I strongly recommend. I had a curious clerk ask what I was shipping that was so valuable and I used Stan's line, "precision machined parts."

As barrels are not firearms (actions are in the USA -- in South Africa barrels are the key element), you should be able to ship with any carrier.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: tanky Re: Re-barreling cost and shipping question - 05/02/21 01:39 AM
Plausible deniability, machine parts.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Re-barreling cost and shipping question - 05/02/21 02:00 AM
Without question go with USPS. At least they pay on insurance claims.
Posted By: GLS Re: Re-barreling cost and shipping question - 05/02/21 09:02 PM
I wouldn't play word games with Fedex or UPS insurance unless one wants them to play word games with you if things go south. Insurance carriers make money taking premiums not paying claims and will do what they can to avoid paying a claim, especially what they'd consider to be a material misrepresentation in their eyes. If Fedex or UPS won't agree to send a gun barrel which is not a firearm, then what would you expect them to do if the "steel tubes" are lost or stolen? Send USPS registered. Typically, your firearms insurance would cover a lost item in the mail or shipment. Gil
I have been shipping USPS for years. They don't ask except their normal is it liquid, flammable, blah, blah...No problem shipping barrels in PVC pipe container.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com