doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Wood Where it all began...Joseph Manton - 04/30/21 09:45 PM
Here is a pretty good history of Joseph Manton and his development of the game gun we enjoy. I found a few errors a critical viewer could criticize but it is certainly worth watching on YouTube.

Posted By: tw Re: Where it all began.... - 04/30/21 11:57 PM
Thanks for that, Joe!
Posted By: James Flynn Re: Where it all began.... - 05/01/21 12:05 AM
Joe, thanks for posting this video. I sent it to a number of friends who don't visit Doublegunshop.

Having worked on many Joe Mantons over the years, I thoroughly appreciate the quality workmanship.

If I recall from reading "The Mantons," it was stated that one year Joe Manton made about 350 guns. These were all quality weapons. It also said Manton had sixty men working for him in his heyday.

A quote from Joe Manton about James Purdey said that Purdey gets up the best work, next to mine. Purdey said of Manton; but for Joe, we would be but a parcel of blacksmiths.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Where it all began.... - 05/01/21 05:31 PM
James, here is my double flint 16. Though marketed by W. H. Wilson (a London dealer in firearms) I believe it was most likely made by Alexander Wilson from Manton’s. His shop was in same building as W. H. on Vigo Lane. Late flint with many of Joe’s features. Incredible quality throughout and killer wood! Notice self priming pan and also trigger guard grip safety.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: barrel browner Re: Where it all began.... - 05/01/21 07:13 PM
Amazing gunmaker, but he also had an equally talented brother John, Joseph was apprentice to his brother for a while before striking out on his own, the history of the two brothers is very interesting. John Manton And Son Gunmakers Ltd is back in business making making high end guns. https://www.facebook.com/John-Manton-Gunmakers-Ltd-102130121260444
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com