doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: liverwort POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 03:44 PM
I shot these two patterns to see where my sxs would hit with the .575 choke installed. I switched barrels to see which might be best, this is what I got. Is this much crossover at 16 yards normal? Thanks.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 04:10 PM
Stan has demonstrated it here before.

Charge weight and speed effect convergence.

Try a different load.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 05:24 PM
Specifically, you need more 'barrel time'.

Try slowing the load down, or adding more shot weight.

Remember to test in the same fashion (hold, rest, whatever) you intend to shoot your turkey.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 06:58 PM
A heavier and slower velocity load will often perfectly center patterns like yours. I have a .410 Dickinson S X S with 30" barrels and fixed chokes. It shot "crossover patterns exactly like yours with 1/2 and 11/16 oz. loads, both of which were running at about 1250/1275, AIR. Shotgunjones recommended I try some 3/4 oz. W-W loads, which were about 1150 fps, I think. He sent me a box actually, bless his heart. I posted the before and after results here several years ago, but the long and short of it is that the slower, heavier payload gave more barrel time and allowed the recoil to move the gun slightly more to the said before the payload exited the barrel. Centered them perfectly.

Until you see it with your own eyes it's hard to believe, but it's real world stuff. The same thing happened to me last summer with a new to me 20 ga. Sterlingworth I traded for, to use on quail and woodcock. I patterned it with 7/8 oz. loads and got the exact results as you, liverwort. One ounce loads at 1175 centered those patterns beautifully.

Thanks again Shotgunjones, my friend. That lesson, and your kindness, will never be forgotten by me.
Posted By: liverwort Re: POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 07:25 PM
Thanks greatly to all. I will do as you advise and try a heavier slower load. I'll need more shot at 25 yards anyway and 1100 fps is probably good enough for gobbles too. Thanks again!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: POI test with a turkey choke? - 04/24/21 08:19 PM
Good enough for nearly any game bird, liverwort. High speed loads come with many costs, not all of which are associated with price and recoil, IMHO.

Stan
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com