doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 12:03 PM
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-great-wood-cased-.cfm?gun_id=101631248

Can you tell by the picture who's backaction this might be?

It looks like a pretty nice gun to me.
Posted By: SKB Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 12:15 PM
Webley screw grip, the top lever is the give away as well as the arcaded fences.
Posted By: lagopus Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 03:45 PM
Nice looking gun. Proofed between 1896 and 1904 according to the marks. If on the early side of those dates you may be able to purchase it as an Antique I believe in the States. Lagopus…..
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 05:23 PM
George Gibbs are still in business (Wiltshire UK) - find by Google.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
Webley screw grip, the top lever is the give away as well as the arcaded fences.

I think arcaded or umbrella fences were more a feature of Woodward or Greener shotguns. The fences illustrated as you say are a hallmark of Webley actions but I think the more common term for them is ribanded or trefoil
Edit to add I once owned a very nice Arthur Howell 12 bore with similar fences.
Posted By: SKB Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/12/21 06:07 PM
I had not heard either of those terms before today regarding that type of fence, thanks for expanding my vocabulary.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/13/21 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
I had not heard either of those terms before today regarding that type of fence, thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

I think gunman would be more able to give a definitive term for the fence having been previously employed by Webley. My source for both terms was picked up only through reading after I bought an Arthur Howell ble that had identical fences.
As I read that Arthur Howell was reputed to mainly work for the trade with comparatively few guns produced under his own name I wondered if he had his actions filed up by the same tradesman or men that worked on Webley’s fences or whether he used Webley sourced actions for his guns.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/13/21 08:02 PM
Those fences were commonly available on many guns. Hollis Bentley and Playfair catalog ca. 1911 shows the fence available , made for anyone in many stages of finish. They made a tremendous amount of guns “for the trade”
Posted By: Hammergun Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/13/21 10:53 PM
Beaded fence.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/14/21 02:40 AM
Write to Marc Crudgington.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/14/21 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Those fences were commonly available on many guns. Hollis Bentley and Playfair catalog ca. 1911 shows the fence available , made for anyone in many stages of finish. They made a tremendous amount of guns “for the trade”

I agree,I`ve seen them on guns with many different names on them,mostly described as `Scott` fences .
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/15/21 02:22 PM
So, who bought it?
Posted By: SKB Re: George Gibbs Backaction? - 04/27/21 02:21 PM
Ken Pendelton has it now:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-great-wood-cased-.cfm?gun_id=101644598
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com