doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jubylives W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/10/21 11:56 PM
Looking to what I can learn about this feller. Seen these underlevers online but never in person. Needs a lot of help and only paid 150 so its going to get some love. Also it will need some screws. One under the barrels that holds a triangle shape metal block and one that runs through the stock top down that hold the middle of the trigger guard and top tang area. Sorry, I don't know the terminology. Anyone know a source for the screws? Any leads or info on this poor thing is appreciated.

Jeremy

[img]http://[img]https://i.ibb.co/S5ytYpJ/20210410-181541.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co][/img]
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 01:03 PM
Welcome Jeremy. It is Lefaucheux action Belgian knockoff, is not a Westley Richards (England), and was not of high quality when new. If you can dismount the barrels there are proof marks which can help date the gun, and possibly a maker's mark. There are a number of odd Lefaucheux action barrel attachment methods, and you may need to tap out the hinge pin.
Restoration might be a fun project, but any gunsmithing services will cost far more than the gun is worth.
I would strongly advise not attempting the shoot the gun, with ANY load.
Posted By: battle Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 01:11 PM
Just put that up above the fire place and let it rest.
Posted By: jubylives Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 01:22 PM
Have it mostly apart. I have zero intention of shooting it. Just a neat and cheap piece to tinker on. Haven't seen much in markings yet as it is pretty gacked up. Will post some if I manage to find any markings. Thanks Jeremy
Posted By: jubylives Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 01:30 PM
Did some scrubbing. All I found for markings. Also found a piece of leather like material between this piece and the barrels. New to me. Perhaps a seal to keep water out? Jeremy

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 01:51 PM
Unfortunately all we can determine from the marks is that it is pre-1893. No maker's mark on the frame?
19.0 is the bore in mm = .748" or about 11 gauge. If there is a step rather than cone at the end of the chamber, it was intended for use with brass shells.
Posted By: jubylives Re: W. Richard underlever double barrel - 04/11/21 02:22 PM
Should know about markings when its done boiling if there are any left. It is in really bad shape although mostly solid. Well solid enough to try new techniques on and still be able to display it. Jeremy
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com