doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/30/21 05:21 PM

Apologies for the mild distraction from everyday here, but I thought this fellow did a good job of connecting all the dots. Somethings that might have been dismissed as "mild paranoia" a few short years ago seem to now be reasonably concerning. I've always suspected that email and texts never completely went away, so combine that with all of the data your smartphone provides Big Tech and you can see why this fellow is so worked up. If you have children, you might let them see this to, hopefully, inform them of the downside of social websites and other forms of internet traffic. It would seem that it's not just "innocent fun" anymore. Social media scores are clearly on their way (if they aren't largely here already). Privacy and forgiveness of past indiscretions (youthful or otherwise) are becoming rare commodities. It's something of a blessing to be an old guy now, eh?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/30/21 06:24 PM
Nothing is fair about selective use of today’s “standards” on actions based on what happened 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago. And when you can take things out of context or do just selective bits of information like half a sentence without the rest of the sentence or without any clue what the entire conversation was about your judgement becomes subjective at best and total nonsense at worse.

50 years ago rape was a capital crime in many states. Today murder is not even one and rape has been downgraded to what seems like a very moderate offense. But hate speech is now a hate crime when 50 years ago it was not a crime at all. I’d rather have the old standards than the new ones.
Posted By: James Flynn Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/30/21 09:05 PM
Thanks for posting the video, Lloyd. The statists are creating a society devoid of forgiveness. It is quite understandable why these people hate Christianity as it is predicated on forgiveness.

It is strange that those who were so influenced by Rousseau, who preached the perfectibility of man, have switched to a more Calvinist view of the depraved man. If one wishes to feel even more hopeless, watch the movie, "The Circle" with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson. The theme is when amoral people gain power, through high tech, and appoint themselves in charge of societal behavior.

J
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/30/21 11:31 PM
I am a member of a Southern Baptist church, and our pastor was a long time dove hunting friend of mine for years before becoming our pastor. He is also a close friend, aside from hunting. We were together for a dove shoot a couple months ago and were talking about the sad state of our nation, particularly as it pertains to the loss of rights were are experiencing. I made the statement to him that when the government outlaws my guns they have effectively made me an outlaw. He understood my meaning instantly and replied "Me, too." You would have to known this man personally to understand what a Godly person he is, and how committed he is to living his life in accordance with the Holy Scriptures. He then stated that his right to own and use guns is God given, not government granted.

I was, and am, in good company.

Stan
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/30/21 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I am a member of a Southern Baptist church, and our pastor was a long time dove hunting friend of mine for years before becoming our pastor. He is also a close friend, aside from hunting. We were together for a dove shoot a couple months ago and were talking about the sad state of our nation, particularly as it pertains to the loss of rights were are experiencing. I made the statement to him that when the government outlaws my guns they have effectively made me an outlaw. He understood my meaning instantly and replied "Me, too." You would have to known this man personally to understand what a Godly person he is, and how committed he is to living his life in accordance with the Holy Scriptures. He then stated that his right to own and use guns is God given, not government granted.

I was, and am, in good company.

Stan

There is no right that can be granted by the state. The state can only take your rights away or help protect the rights you have.
Posted By: Nudge Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 12:32 AM
Yes, and no.

1. The means might be new, but the idea is the very same as it's always been.

2. The "controllers" are never nearly as 'in control' as you, and they, think they are.

3. None of it is outside God's plan. So if you see flying monkies, or android pets, or anything else which seems outside the bounds of what you were expecting...remember that ALL of it remains inside the bounds of the only plan that has been guaranteed since the beginning.

Ultimately, humans can make only noise.

Take a breath, enjoy Spring.

NDG
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 01:27 AM
I partly disagree.

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Partially agree. It is God's wish, and He provided the plan, and the means, to make it happen that all should spend eternity with Him, and not be relegated to a Godless hell for eternity. He gave us a free will to choose whether or not to accept, and appropriate, His plan for that salvation. It's up to us to make that ultimate decision. He does NOT send some to heaven and some to hell. He did all that was possible, and necessary, for every human to spend eternity with Him. Those who go to hell do so because of THEIR choice, not His.

You say "Ultimately, humans can make only noise". Totally disagree. Anyone who believes that does not believe the Holy Bible is the unerring Word of God. WE are NOT robots, or puppets, that dance every breath and every move in accordance with a master puppeteer.
Posted By: Nudge Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 11:21 AM
Stanton, you are misunderstanding my point. You rightly point out that we do indeed have free will, and are not puppets. But that free will and ability has limits. Whatever we affect, it will always be within boundaries set by God. His plan, is set in stone. So, for instance, humans cannot undo creation, or destroy the world. We might be able to make a royal mess if it, but not destroy it. He alone will do that, on His timeline.

That affirms both the inerrency of the Word, and the fallability of man.

NDG
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Nudge
....Ultimately, humans can make only noise.

Take a breath, enjoy Spring.

NDG

A voice of reason, cooler heads, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? For me, one, two and three, I disagree for various reasons.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 11:32 AM
....His plan, is set in stone. So, for instance, humans cannot undo creation, or destroy the world. We might be able to make a royal mess if it, but not destroy it. He alone will do that, on His timeline.

NDG
Even if never achieved, man could work on the fallability, not embrace it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 11:55 AM
Stanton, you are misunderstanding my point. You rightly point out that we do indeed have free will, and are not puppets. But that free will and ability has limits. Whatever we affect, it will always be within boundaries set by God. His plan, is set in stone. So, for instance, humans cannot undo creation, or destroy the world. We might be able to make a royal mess if it, but not destroy it. He alone will do that, on His timeline.

NDG

Nudge, I may have misunderstood, but only because of your last statement ..... "Ultimately, humans can make only noise". I considered that an extreme view, and sounded like you were espousing a lack of free will, even uselessness of prayer. Fervent prayer by the saints is much, much more than "noise". Totally agree on the fallibility of man, as evidenced by the fallibility of the first two, Adam and Eve......... and continuing right on through me.

Best to you, Stan
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
....His plan, is set in stone. So, for instance, humans cannot undo creation, or destroy the world. We might be able to make a royal mess if it, but not destroy it. He alone will do that, on His timeline.

NDG
Even if never achieved, man could work on the fallability, not embrace it.

Yeah, I would, but I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of funny cat videos on YouTube and I can’t get out.

I don’t want Google thinking I’m a druggie.
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: It's a brave new world! - 03/31/21 05:35 PM
Don't know about about you guys, but my rights didn't derive from a fairytale. They were established through armed conflict several hundred years ago. Lest you forget, the majority of human history is one group of humans conquering and enslaving another group of humans. Guess the Almighty didn't get off his ass and create those rights until recently.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com