doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike Harrell Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/26/21 09:47 PM
A friend of mine is rebrowning my Westley Richards try gun barrels. He sent me a photo of them mostly finished with the browning and etching. I've owned and seen lots of damascus barrels and I haven't seen any with the jagged lines this one has.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/26/21 10:03 PM
Mike: I believe that is something very much like Greener's "Silver Steel".
Yours is 2 Iron - close up and enhanced

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

3 Iron "Silver Steel"

3 Iron "Browned" by Paul Stevens

More infro here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hph1QPAVDHd_KvHLrejKVykigwGgvMLFl4K6Ru6Dcig/edit
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/27/21 12:07 AM
Looks like black and white rather than brown, to me...
JR
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/27/21 06:14 AM
He says the photos make it look blacker than it is. Says it's more of a brown color.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 06:17 AM
Finally able to get the correct light so that the phone would take a true color photo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 02:33 PM
Dang that looks bad. Surely that's yet to be carded and boiled...
JR
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 02:35 PM
Of course. Last etching before carding and it's not getting boiled. Boiling turns it black. Proper British damascus should be brown. lol
Posted By: keith Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 03:20 PM
The rusting looks very even and fine grained, with considerable contrast already. They should look great after etching.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 05:01 PM
Mike's barrels demonstrate that with most doubles with a top rib extension (esp. if the top rib contributes to a bolt lock-up) the extension is a separate segment. AND the challenges of coloring steel.

The extension was usually indexed in some manner with a screw

L.C. Smith which was brazed

Parker GH with poorly matched D4. On refinishing the higher carbon screw stained much more darkly

Some extensions on damascus barrels were a non-twisted (layered) laminate, others solid steel; Parker Lifter Bernard barrel with steel extension which stained more darkly

The iron component of pattern welded rods was no doubt wrought iron. The steel was either Bessemer/Decarbonized (carbon .06 - .1%) or 1002 - 1005 low carbon low alloy steel.
I've done composition analysis on ONE segment of rib, a c. 1912 Lefever Arms Co. DS, and it was AISI 1011.

So coloring different composition steel was and is real challenge. Hopefully Mike will post the final results.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 07:08 PM
I'll take black and white, regardless of what's proper. Something about brown damascus that just hits me wrong. I have seen some very dark brown damascus that wasn't too bad, though.
JR
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/29/21 07:21 PM
I have a Pape with very dark brown color. Almost black but differently brown. Very nice looking. My other Pape is more
Medium brown. I wish it too was darker.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/30/21 09:53 AM
Almost finished. [img]https://imgur.com/s5zKg7h[/img]
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/30/21 09:54 AM
Almost finished. [Linked Image from imgur.com]
Posted By: battle Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/30/21 04:37 PM
Looks really good Mike!
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Almost done with browning the WR. - 03/30/21 07:17 PM
I think so as well. I do wish the doll's head would have came out closer to the barrel color.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com