doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Glacierjohn User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 02:26 PM
Years ago I used photobucket, which wasn’t very user friendly to me, but I figured it out somewhat, then they started charging a lot for the service. I understand, but it was too much for me, so I quit. In the meantime Facebook and iPhones came along, making it stupid simple to post photos. Now I’m spoiled, unfortunately it’s not that easy to post on forums such as this one, so I’m wondering what most of you use?
Posted By: SKB Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 02:27 PM
Easy and free:

https://imgur.com/
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 02:28 PM
Ditto
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 04:48 PM
Plus one on Imgur. Just mark your photos private (or hidden, I believe) unless you want people commenting on them. They will still be able to be seen here even if marked private.
Posted By: John E Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 06:52 PM
I also lost all my photobucket pics. I haven't figured imgur out but I keep trying.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well, look at that. BINGO!
Posted By: keith Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 06:56 PM
I don't store my photos on any image hosting site, and here's why...

The Preacher recently complained that Picture Trail was ceasing operations, causing a possible loss of stored images, and past posted images disappearing.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586587&page=1

Then there were all of the folks who got held hostage by PhotoBucket, as you well know. Some thought that the ransom demands would not get them, but they were wrong.

In the past several years, Imgfave.com, Use.com, Panaramio.com, Dropshots.com, and others have also failed. Here's what can happen to you:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So I store my pics on my PC, and back up those files on an external hard drive, and several USB drives. My external hard drive storage is not kept in my house, in case of fire, tornado, etc. And I can easily post an image here in 15-20 seconds, as I just did above. It does take a bit longer to post an image directly from my cell phone.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 09:27 PM
I fail to understand why this site requires posted photos to come from a remote hosting site. They are cumbersome, confusing, and sometimes expensive. Other sites allow me to attach/embed a photo directly from my computer, easy and simple. Why the need for hosting sites?
Posted By: battle Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 09:38 PM
IMGBB is easy and free if you have pics stored on PC or Apple products. I’ve done a tutorial on ‘how to’ in the past.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/24/21 09:48 PM
jpgbox is so simple even a caveman can do it. I'm not kidding. I'm very slow to learn how to do computer stuff, and can never figure out something about them on my own. But, once I learned to use the above I cannot imagine doing it any other way. It's free, too. I do not store my pictures there. They're stored on my Mac. I just use jpgbox to post pics.
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 12:06 AM
I don’t own a computer anymore, just my phone. I have several thousand photos on my phone going back to 2015.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 12:12 AM
Jpgbox hands down favorite.
Posted By: Researcher Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 12:25 AM
Since the Photobucket hostage taking of our photos I've used Imgur.com. If anything happens to Imgur.com I think I'll just dump this site and Shotgunworld and just use the Fox, Parker and Remington sites where one can post pics directly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 01:04 AM
I'm the equivalent of "Slow walkin' Jones, slow talking Jones" but I'm fixing to post a picture using jpgbox and time myself on a stopwatch to see how long it takes .......

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

One minute 19 seconds, and that included picking out which pic to post. Easy, peasy.
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 03:02 AM
I can post a pic from my phone to Facebook in less than five seconds. Over a minute would be torture, but The process is so convoluted I doubt I could do it in ten minutes. I remember how hard photobucket.
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Jpgbox hands down favorite.

I’ll google jpgbox
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Glacierjohn
I can post a pic from my phone to Facebook in less than five seconds. Over a minute would be torture, but The process is so convoluted I doubt I could do it in ten minutes. I remember how hard photobucket.

Well, I have no more to offer. Just trying to help. I don't know how you know the process if you haven't done it yet......

As I said, I'm slow (and my old computer's slow). Instant gratification isn't one of my needs. I take over a half hour to drink a cup of coffee ........... just sayin'.

Best, Stan
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Well, I have no more to offer. Just trying to help. I don't know how you know the process if you haven't done it yet......

As I said, I'm slow (and my old computer's slow). Instant gratification isn't one of my needs. I take over a half hour to drink a cup of coffee ........... just sayin'.

Best, Stan

No, I appreciate the help, I really do. Thank you. I’ll give it a try, I was just assuming it was going to be as difficult as the old photobucket was. It’s funny how I have the patience to sit for hours checkering a stock, one line at a time, tedious work that I find therapeutic, but this computer stuff aggravating.😀
Posted By: pamtnman Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 02:29 PM
I had hoped to see this site adopt the same photo posting capabilities that other similar sites have, after the early 2021 update and upgrade. Without question adding this code costs money, as does the expanded digital storage, and I have volunteered to help fundraise among the membership to help cover the cost. I will not store my own photos on a third party site, for several reasons, all of which seem self evident to me. Not the least of which is I promised my wife I would guard those particular pictures, and she trusts me. Everything I value stays close to me, as close as possible.
Just one more request for a simple photo posting function here...
Posted By: keith Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 06:12 PM

Stan qualified his 1:19 photo posting time by admitting he was going really slow and included the time to pick an image out of his files. As I said, the process typically takes me around 15 seconds, and I can beat that if I really rush. That is without a super fast fiber optic internet connection. The process is not at all convoluted. Upload, copy, paste... then click "Post Reply". Hard to justify making costly changes when it really is that fast and easy.

You say you got rid of your PC. Now if you also decide to get rid of your cell phone, you would be like all of my Amish Dutch neighbors. They don't post here at all, and they never will, because they reject the technology necessary.

I'm actually glad this site isn't the same as Facebook or Twitter. I don't want anything to do with social media that censors Donald Trump or people who express doubts about election integrity, yet allows Liberals to trash the Police and blame the white man for everything. Let's see what happens if you try to post this image on either of those platforms (15 seconds total):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Gr8day Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/25/21 11:56 PM
Sometimes the sites that allow direct posting have a size limit. In that case, it’s easier for me to use a hosting site rather than resize.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 01:21 AM
I agree Gr8day. I am a frequent poster on the AHFCA and PGCA sites, and use jpgbox whenever I post a pic.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 01:42 AM
Stan is correct, jpgbox is great and my favorite.
Karl
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 01:44 AM
That’s a beautiful picture And beautiful gun Karl.
Posted By: Glacierjohn Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 01:58 AM
I think we should update the FAQ section image posting question to mention this jpgbox. The method they describe currently is so complicated my eyes glass over just reading it.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 12:40 PM
I just had dealings with Photobucket to try to access some stuff from way back. All my memories are still there (as I've paid a tiny stipend to maintain them) but now they want even more $$$ to access them. Somehow I knew this was coming.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/26/21 01:00 PM
I think we should update the FAQ section image posting question to mention this jpgbox. The method they describe currently is so complicated my eyes glass over just reading it.

Photobucket has changed their format so it has no thumbnails. I haven't been able to post pix here in months. Gonna have to figure it out or change where I store pix...Geo
Posted By: pamtnman Re: User friendly photo hosting site? - 03/31/21 03:28 PM
All posts and responses considered here, I still and even more than a few days before would like to have direct photo upload. From phone, camera, pc, and also from one of the picture ransom sites, if people choose to use them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com