doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 02:14 AM
I've never been there. Would like to browse and look, converse and learn, meet and chat....not sure my atrophied skills will let me shoot with any effectiveness. But "go?" or "no go?"

https://www.southernsidebyside.com
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 02:20 AM
We've been told that it's a GO.

Judy and I plan to be there along with a number of our friends.

If you come let us know - I'd like to meet you.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 03:30 AM
I will be in attendance Saturday and Sunday, just in time to have reached “full vaccination”. What a great way to celebrate. The 10 bore Woodward hammer should give the virus a proper send off!
........ it looks like food at The Southern Side-By-Side might be a problem. Here is just one example. The Bay Breeze Restaurant is not fully open. NEW HOURS FOR THE BAY BREEZE:

Tuesday-Thursday 4:00pm-9:00pm Dine in AND Curbside

Friday- 4:00pm - 10:00pm Curbside ONLY

Saturday- 3:00 - 10:00pm Curbside ONLY

Sunday- 12:00pm - 9:00pm Dine in AND Curbside

posted by Jent on March 16th of 2021
Posted By: topgun Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 12:50 PM
It's definitely going to happen, and on behalf of the LC Smith and Parker Gun Collectors Associations you are encouraged to visit our exhibition tent down by the "dove field"; and further, to participate in the LC Smith vs. Parker Challenge Event shoot-out. All that's required is to be a member of the organization you wish to represent, and to shoot a double gun made by same; and if you wish to do so and don't have a gun, one of our members will provide a loaner. Same with the Smith vs. Parker Hammer gun challenge taking place on Sunday morning. The new owner of Deep River, Ed Strickland, has sold all the booth space so there'll be plenty to see as vendors from across the US and Europe will be showing their wares. The only advice I can give attendees planning to shoot is to bring your own ammo supply. I spoke with RST yesterday; RST is normally there with a cube truck packed with shells but they'll not be in attendance this year as they are currently slammed with back orders they can't fill because they are unable to secure the necessary components. For those who've never attended, it's quite an event; and it's a fun event where one can encounter special and unique guns and enjoy great fellowship. I've yet to meet someone who tells me he regretted coming
Currently The Flame Steakhouse is open running a temporary schedule Thursday thru Saturday evenings.

Hopefully this will expand as the Covid situation becomes better.

Reservations:

Open Wednesday – Saturday from 4pm until 9pm

Reservations may be made after 3pm these days

Reservations are available for our Dining Room, Lounge & Patio

Call 919-776-7111 ...... note one source says OPEN only Thursday and Friday and Saturday BUT another source says open W - T - F - S.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 05:16 PM
Just won't be the same without my old buddy Steve Barnett's presence there. Lots of other fine vendors, though. Sigh...
JR
How about my pal Kirby Hoyt? Anyone know if he is going to attend. Met him in June 2010 in the UP (Michigan) Father's Day week-end at the Sagola shoot. Great guy!! RWTF
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 05:32 PM
Woohoo!
Posted By: canvasback Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 05:40 PM
Would love to go but no chance the border will be open by then. Damn!
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 08:46 PM
Very sadly I can not attend. The US border is still closed to everybody from UK & EU and anyway my 2nd jab is only due on that very weekend. Spending 8 hours in a crowded airliner with only partial protection doesn't sound like a wise move!
Bob Nay of MacNab Fine Firearms will be exhibiting his own and all my state-side stock in the sponsors tent so head over there and look at some lovely stuff! Enjoy!
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/16/21 11:10 PM
Toby, Judy and I will miss you and hope that 2022 will bring better travel for all.

Bob
I have been to the range where it is held, Deep River, but have never attended the Southern S X S. It always falls so close to my bride's birthday (April 25) that it has never worked out for me to be gone for a few days at that time. Also, we are usually wide open planting corn at that time. Just an unfortunate time for me. However, if the weather and the family plans allow I could drive up for a day, maybe two, but it will be a last minute decision.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast ......

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 12:03 AM
God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll drive down from DC area early morning Saturday 24 April, and probably stay someplace that night to be there on the Sun the 25th (or could choose to just drive back up that evening). I'll be bringing an ice-chest, sandwich makings and a grill in case there's no place to eat (unlikely). I would like to see Stanton shoot and will miss meeting Toby.
Wish Jean a Happy Birthday- My bride Mae has her B'day on Mar 28th-but her older sister Patricia celebrates here's today- St. Patty's Day. How many acres will you have in corn this year Stan? Up here early May works for 90 day corn planting, allowing for the fickleness of Ma Nature-- DeKalb is still No. 1 brand, followed by Pioneer--Good luck with the crops-- RWTF
Posted By: keith Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Toby Barclay
Very sadly I can not attend. The US border is still closed to everybody from UK & EU and anyway my 2nd jab is only due on that very weekend.

If you would really like to come, just put on a sombrero and come across the Mexican-U.S Border...

Legal passport holding visitors from the UK and EU are not welcome here, but the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats welcome illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America, and even give them drivers licenses, welfare, education, and free health care. Do not question the rationality of this... the thought police are listening.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We'll have about 400 in corn ...........all Dekalb. As soon as the corn is planted we'll plant the sunflower dove field, then switch over to peanuts and cotton, simultaneously running one 8 row planter for cotton and the other for peanuts. I will certainly tell Queen Jean that the Swamp Fox sends his best b'day wishes.
Posted By: mark Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 03:27 PM
We missed the last 2 years but are really looking forward to being in our usual spot in the big tent. Hope to see you all there!!
Posted By: jdickson397 Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 04:13 PM
I just got off the phone(Wed., March 17th) with the new owner of Deep River, Ed Strickland, and he told me thatTHE SHOOT IS DEFINITELY A GO!

ALL EXHIBITION SPACES ARE FILLED AT THE SOUTHERN SxS.

The following gun dealers will be there: Charles Boswell/Batha, Connecticut Shotgun, Elliott Side-by-Sides, FAMARS, MacNab Fine Firearms, Heritage Guns represented by MacNab, Robin Hollow Outfitters, Safari Outfitters, Wingshooting Adventures, Steve Barnett Fine Guns, Steve Cobb, Classic Arms, Vintage Doubles, Vintage Firearms, Westley Ridhards, William Larkin Moore & Sons and other vendors. There will be plenty of eye candy for all.

Uninformed comments notwithstanding plenty of fine restaurants are open and ready to serve you. Come and enjoy the fresh air of freedom, gun oil, and a whiff of gunpowder.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 07:33 PM
I will be in attendance and vending as well. Looking forward to seeing ya'll.

SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL; The ACGG will also have a booth and there will be a few things on the table to view. The 2022 Guild Project is expected to be on display. Dennis Potter upgraded a Perazzi 20 Ga to side plated, sculpted frame, extended trigger guard. Exhibition Turkish Walnut with a planned Mook Machine We orks Skeleton buttplate (Glenn Fewless). Stocking in process by myself. Fund raiser for the ACGG. Looking for someone to claim it so the engraving may be created to the new owners desires.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/17/21 11:59 PM
Well, it seems God has other plans for me than to attend the Southern SxS. I received word (just shortly after posting the last note) that I have a rare form of Hodgkins Lymphoma. I will be undergoing radiation therapy 4 days a week for 4 weeks, starting next week. I will be unable to drive across the US and will not have the needed time to ship things across the US in order to attend via air travel. The good thing is...being bald I will not have much hair to lose. I will miss seeing ya'll. I am going to work my way through this....literally. I have lots to do and need to use the time wisely.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/18/21 12:26 AM
Bad new Dennis...but good they caught it..and the cures for that sort of thing are now are pretty amazing. Stay strong (you sound like you are) and God Bless. We'll send some pictures. Gene
Sorry to hear that news Dennis, but you have a great attitude about beating it. I know from past experience that attitude is a big part of winning health battles. I will be lifting you in prayer for complete and speedy healing.

Best, Stan
Posted By: SKB Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/18/21 01:11 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Dennis.
Steve
Dennis,
You'll be in our prayers for sure. Best wishes for your recovery.
Karl
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/18/21 02:22 AM
I’ll be sending some positive thoughts and healing prayers your way, Dennis. I always enjoy talking with you at the Southern and will miss seeing you there. Heal quickly and completely.
Dennis
You will surely be missed, and your wonderful bride too. My prayers and good thoughts are with you in this new journey.
Dennis
Posted By: mark Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/18/21 01:11 PM
Dennis, We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!
Posted By: gil russell Re: Is the Southern truly on this year? - 03/18/21 02:02 PM
Dennis: You have a great attitude and I know you will get through it. Be well, my friend. Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com