[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mid-storm today...

Posted By: skeettx Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/14/21 10:50 PM
?????
The car turned into a porch?
smile
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/14/21 10:52 PM
First pix was at our dog-park from my son's old Dart, the second was indeed from our porch.
Posted By: SKB Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/14/21 10:55 PM
about 30" here
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/14/21 11:28 PM
Hi Steve! About 20 inches here so-far.
Posted By: Cobbhead Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/14/21 11:50 PM
Only about a foot in Colorado Springs but 50 mph winds are making it nasty outside. Lloyd, tell me about your car?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 12:07 AM
Cobbhead:

It's an ongoing project that my 17-year old son and I have been working on (along with my elk-hunting buddy in Boulder) for the last year or so. 1960 Dart Seneca 2-dr pillar coupe, slant 6, pushbutton auto. It was a basket case that he somehow talked me into (clearly a weak moment on my part). We've had to do just about everything in order to just make it safe to drive (and barely that).

I was test-driving it last week before returning it to my buddy for additional work that we need to do (valve lash, minor leaks, brake adjustment, etc.) before we can start on the bodywork, which is substantial. Virgil Exner-era cars were famous for rust and this one's no-exception.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 12:12 AM
I think one day you will treasure the time spent with Liam on that project, Lloyd.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 12:39 AM
Brings back memories. My first car was a '61 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6. Tough little motor.

About two years later I bought a '56 Chevy 210 two-door, and hot-rodding took every penny for the next several years. I don't regret a dollar spent on it. My Dad had a very confining occupation, so we never worked together on my cars. Liam is very fortunate to have a Dad who can do that with him. I love that "Christine look".

What I do regret is selling that '56, when I bought my new '69 Camaro SS.

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 12:56 AM
Stan: It's been the price I paid for hauling him around in his baby seat in the back of another old Chrysler I have. It hasn't been easy, but I suppose nothing worthwhile ever is. This car has been lots of lessons for us both. For me it's been finding patience and "letting go" of things I simply can't control (both very hard for me). For him it's been economic realities and some truly-great physics lessons. It has also clearly been a great "COVID" project for everybody involved and I am immensely grateful for that as well. For everything, there is a season...
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Brings back memories. My first car was a '61 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6. Tough little motor.

About two years later I bought a '56 Chevy 210 two-door, and hot-rodding took every penny for the next several years. I don't regret a dollar spent on it. My Dad had a very confining occupation, so we never worked together on my cars. Liam is very fortunate to have a Dad who can do that with him. I love that "Christine look".

What I do regret is selling that '56, when I bought my new '69 Camaro SS.

SRH

I didn’t get it new but one of my favourite cars that’s I’ve owned was a 67 RS/SS Convertible Camaro. Loved it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 01:23 AM
Sorry, but I just could not stop myself .............

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 03:23 AM
"Christine" is the name I gave to my 1969 Chevelle. It had a 350 4 bbl., and it was loaded with every available power option. It also had more electrical problems than all of the other vehicles I've owned... combined.

Power windows would go down by themselves, and wouldn't go back up when you pushed the controls. Later, they would go back up without touching a button. Once, both back windows went down on a cold snowy night as I was returning to college after Christmas break. Fortunately, the haunted beast also had the best heater of any car I've owned. I drove about 90 miles with the windows down, and then they both closed again. Windshield wipers would come on as I drove down the road on a sunny day... and would just as unexpectedly stop by themselves 10 or 15 miles later. Ditto for the power seat, lights, etc. But pretty much everything would fix itself if you just kept driving.

1969 Chevelles are worth a lot of money now, but I was happy to send Christine down the road.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 02:22 PM
When I was 16, my DAD bought a new 1960 Dodge Dart, with a slant six. It would run like a "scalded dog". I was dating my (now) wife at the time and she lived 7 miles away. I could make the 7 miles to get back home in 5 minutes, going through our small town and stopping for some of the stop signs. The exhaust pipe would be glowing red, all the way to the muffler. Teenage boys should not drive that fast if they hope to ever be a 76 year old hunter.
Mike

Stanton, My regret is selling the 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hard top that I had later( with a 56 Ford Victoria between), but I was overseas and couldn't keep vandals away from it.
Mikr
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 03:02 PM
Gave me a little smile, I remember those slant sixes a bit different. They couldn't breathe and ran out of steam. The family had a beater dart for a short time, this one was a bit of a hand ful. Hit the brakes normally and the right rear skinny bias tire would lock and the car would keep rolling with pretty much no resistance, learned how to work the peddle for some fake antilocking brakes. Went to small block Chevies, with a little detour in a '70 340 'cuda. I can say my best all time wreck was in a pretty warm Chevy.

I have two kids all hemmed up at home in Colorado, sounds like there's a bit more snow than yesterday.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 05:27 PM
Out here on the plains we have about 13-15” but it’s the wettest (& heaviest) stuff you can imagine. Perfect for our fields and pastures.
Did hear the airport had 27.1”.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 06:59 PM
Just finished digging out here. We got two feet, give or take. It is fairly wet and heavy snow. Pretty standard spring snow in this country.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/15/21 10:46 PM
No snow here, rain a comin'. Cars that you wished you'd kept. '67 RS Camaro, built 302 from a '69Z, Muncie close ratio, 4:10's and yes, we, (Dad and I) corrected the shocks. '71 Dart 340 six pack, God Awful green. Bought cheap with a broken rocker arm, SCARY fun car! Dad's '67 442, his last great car before too many kids forced him into the Vista Cruiser! '47 CJ2A Jeep, Buick V6 convert, '71 Datsun 240, fun, fun, fun car.
Chief
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/16/21 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Stan: It's been the price I paid for hauling him around in his baby seat in the back of another old Chrysler I have. It hasn't been easy, but I suppose nothing worthwhile ever is. This car has been lots of lessons for us both. For me it's been finding patience and "letting go" of things I simply can't control (both very hard for me). For him it's been economic realities and some truly-great physics lessons. It has also clearly been a great "COVID" project for everybody involved and I am immensely grateful for that as well. For everything, there is a season...

That's a small price to pay, Lloyd. Small, indeed.

It's a good thing we can't control all the things we'd like to be able to.
Posted By: Goillini Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/16/21 03:34 AM
Only car I ever had that I regret selling: silver 79 Pontiac Trans Am with smoked glass t-tops. Lots of good memories associated with that one.
Posted By: Hal Re: OT: Springtime in the Rockies - 03/17/21 10:11 PM
Hardly a flake here. Guessing we have had no more than ten inches all winter, but still time for some moisture. My grasslands are a tinder-box. Over 60% of ND in severe drought category. Snow geese piled up in SD. A buddy said he heard that 28 guys dropped over 1,200 down south somewhere, likely SD or NE. Lotsa dark meat!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com