doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/07/21 06:33 PM
Brazed or silver soldered.
[Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]
Screwed
Welded

Home made barrels for Marlin Model 90. Do not know which seems worse, the screw used to attach the hanger to the 20 barrel or the weld to the .410 barrels? Used Remington barrels for the 20 and Model 42 barrels for the .410. Funny thing is they tried to attribute the workmanship to Simmons. Simmons ought to sue.
Posted By: GLS Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/07/21 06:50 PM
They meant Bubba Simmons in Hahira, Ga. Not Simmons of Olathe, KS. Gil
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/07/21 06:52 PM
That TIG weld has some undercut- not good- did they put a copper solid tube in the barrel id to act as both a backing ring and a heat dump??
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/08/21 12:37 AM
The copper tube, or, lack there of, is the very least of what is wrong....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/08/21 03:22 AM
I had some pretty shoddy work done by Simmons. It was an ordeal with them. It was on par with that weld job above.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/09/21 02:35 PM
I hope no one tries to fire a loaded shell in that gun. It is a death trap. Also a waste of good Model 42 barrels.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Three ways, two very wrong. - 03/09/21 04:38 PM
I would love to know if the screw holding the hanger on the 20 gauge barrel goes all the way to the inside. I would not like a pit going 2/3 the way into a barrel at 9-10” from the chamber. And a screw hole is just a big pit which if it goes all the way it is even worse to me. Obviously this was done years ago so some use has occurred without major failure. But today’s infatuation with hyper velocity, high pressure loads would scare me in that mess. Bubba setup for sure.

Why the heck did he not put the spacers where the hanger needed to be and attach to them? That would not have compromised the barrel and done two jobs at once.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com