doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Grouse Guy Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 04:38 PM
I've scanned the archives, and can't find much discussion of Iver Johnson Skeeters. I'm interested to learn more, then perhaps start looking for one to adopt.

What I think I know so far is 20ga was the most common, all had 28 inch barrels with open chokes, most were DT, and factory LOP was typically 14 inches. At least some weigh around 8lbs.

Is any gauge considered generally to have the best handling qualities? Are pistol grips as common as straight grips? Were there different grades?

Thanks for any of your knowledge,

GG
Posted By: Researcher Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 04:53 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 04:53 PM
I believe I saw a number of them down at Mid-South guns last June. Way-more than I'd ever seen before.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 06:06 PM
The grip is what it is and no, there aren't higher grades. An ejector gun with Miller trigger is as "graded" as they get. The smallbores can get pretty bulky. My 30" .410 weighs over 7 pounds, and contrary to what the ad says, my .410 has a full pistol grip with cap.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 06:31 PM
Grouse Guy, four pages of almost forty mentions per page on the "skeeter" search doesn't qualify for "not much information". Are you pushing the right buttons?
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 06:57 PM
My .410 SKEET-ER had a straight grip, Miller SST, two identical sets of barrels each with its own beavertail numbered 1 & 2 and the only difference was the choking.

I should NEVER have sold it.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 08:07 PM
Eightbore,

Maybe. Under "Forum Search" if I type in "Skeeter", all I get is this current discussion (and something about bug bites in Glasgow, which must be considered equally important).

Now I'm seeing that the other magnifying glass in the upper right corner will pull up older Skeeter discussions. Thanks.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
My 30" .410 weighs over 7 pounds, and contrary to what the ad says, my .410 has a full pistol grip with cap.

Sweet.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/27/21 11:27 PM
The catalog says "Made in both straight and full pistol grip with hooded comb" whatever a hooded comb is? The 12-, 16-, 20- and 28-gauges were "standard" with a pistol grip and the .410 bores were "standard" with a straight grip, but they could all be had with either grip.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/28/21 01:36 AM
MY sKEETER 410 has a straight stock, beavertail, ejectors, and a miller trigger . The stock and forend are fancy walnut. I user to hunt doves with it and loved it because it was heavy and felt like a mans gun , not a kids wippy toy.

Bill
Posted By: Tamid Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/28/21 01:58 AM
The ad says a hooded comb. That's a new one me. Not quite sure what it means?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 02/28/21 08:12 AM
Probably a "fluted comb". Undercut with a rasp.
Posted By: Brian Re: Iver Johnson Skeeters? - 03/01/21 07:18 PM
I had a beautiful 28 Ga Skeeter with Case colored receiver (very rare, only a small number with case colored frames) DT, Beavertail Fore end, factory pad, very nice feather crotch walnut, ejectors,

gone but not forgotten
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com