doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: damascus What colour is it? - 02/27/21 10:32 AM
This is off the subject of guns though I would like to hand on this information before I take my leave.
For most of my working career there was always one perennial problem and headache. especially in the field of re-refurbishment and repair what was Paint colour? I have no idea why it took so long to come up with the cure but it did seem a veritable age to come across what I would say a cure the "Pan tone" catalog of colour as in the photographs. To purchase the item new it can be expensive though second user ones can be found on web sites such as eBay at very reasonable cost. The one thing I have found is that the names of colors can be changed by paint manufacturers but the actual colour does not change so an older version will do just fine. I have found the formula guide to be the one I most used because it gives the colour constituent and percentage mix for the swatch colour, the process colour swatch contains production colour's used in manufactured products. If all else fails it will give you the Pantone reference number to have the paint mixed for you, on this side of the pond there are now a lot of small companies that will do that for you and supply small amounts of paint in tins for brush use and rattle cans though is is usually Acrylic type.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 11:19 AM
Thank-you,
Please reconsider your departure.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 04:02 PM
Pantone color guides have been standard issue in the print shops I’ve worked in for the last 40 years. They are typically thrown away in 12 month intervals, as the color chips do change with time.
I am always happier with a refinish to a car, or, piece of equipment, when I repaint the whole thing. Matching an old color, with new, is more art than science, from what I have seen.
I’ve shot a bunch of paint with an old Binks #7, it is obsolete for newer materials, mostly due to the cost of the stuff, but, for an occasional small project (I’ll paint a 1941 Colson Scout when it warms up a bit) it is entirely adequate.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 05:43 PM
I am a commercial printer and Pantone or PMS is our industry standard. In addition to the books you have there are also books for neons and metallics. There is another matching system out there called Toyo but it is obscure and weird. I am pretty sure we don't have Toyo books but can get the ink if some crazy designer specs it.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 05:59 PM
Interesting topic. Here is my latest blended paint effort on the lower half of my Isuzu Trooper's left rear door. The paint on the right half of the door is original and I was pretty able to successfully blend the left half with a rattle can. Will need to attempt a 2K clear finish, which I am not confident will turn out, but not sure I care given that the whole vehicle could use a respray. Just can't stand fully mismatched panels on even a beater fishing vehicle.

The difference between the front and rear door is an optical illusion created by the lack of clear - the match is actually shockingly spot on. Amazing what you can order these days.
Posted By: Colonial Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 07:15 PM
I have found the new digital colormatch devices to be amazing.
Perhaps the new generation of auto paints (some water based) has helped in some way.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: What colour is it? - 02/27/21 10:02 PM
Just curious about your leave, but are you about to shuffle off the mortal coil or just forsake this website?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: damascus Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 12:22 PM
Ellenbr I am not siting in life's departure lounge waiting for the next shuttle just yet. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with "age related Macular degeneration" and over the proceeding years my center vision has become more distorted. Things are starting to get to the point that using just my peripheral vision to read and type is becoming more difficult also it is much harder to see my mistakes plus the word processor is not so good at finding all spelling errors. So before I started to come over sounding like the Village idiot I decided to bow out when things get to bad. I will still be with you all but only write something now and again though I have just taken delivery of a large key keyboard to help me with you all for a little more time.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 12:41 PM
Tough news & a tough lot in life indeed but great to hear you are creating novel ways to add to the discussion. For sure we will forgive any misspellings & the like.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: halifax Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 01:13 PM
Damascus:

I am very sorry to read about you vision issues. I do hope that the new keyboard helps and that you will be with us for many more years.

You are, and have been, a wealth of knowledge for us all. I remember the first time that I read one of your posts was on the old "Internet Gun Club" site, around 2006, or so. That site was a great resource and it had so many knowledgeable and talented members.

All best,

Michael
Posted By: Cameron Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 02:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your vision problems...tough to get older! Although not a frequent poster, I do read the various topics that interest me and I've always enjoyed your posts, Damascus, for the knowledge passed on.

My grandma, who lived on a hill above our house a distance away, was diagnosed with macular degeneration, complained often about her failing eyesight, but I swear, she knew everything that was going on at our house at all times, when I was a kid!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 02:11 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, all is not lost.

I am confident that the members/techno wizard‘s here can come up with a way for you to have a magnified screen, ala the one that Bill Wise used.

We had a fundraiser maybe 20 years ago to get him state of the art equipment so that he could continue to contribute, I believe that once your tech needs are identified, we will step up. At least I will.

What would make it easier for you?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What colour is it? - 02/28/21 03:51 PM
So very sorry to hear about your condition, and how it will impact your free time and hobbies. Due to a severe eye injury, I have been slowly learning to shoot from the other shoulder, but, I don’t have much success to report in the undoing of fifty years of muscle memory and experience.
But, I can still shoot. Until the next age related villain comes to visit, at any rate.
I wish you all the best with the challenge set before you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: keith Re: What colour is it? - 03/01/21 06:55 AM
Ernie, I remember you telling us about your vision problems a couple years ago. Very sorry to hear that it is getting worse. I hope you and your doctor will be able to treat it and that you will still be able to share your talents and experience with us for a long time to come.
Posted By: damascus Re: What colour is it? - 03/01/21 08:39 PM
I really do not know what to say you folks have really put me on the back foot with all of your kindness. Now I will say that I can still give those fast moving clay's a hard time when I do eventually break a few, and I remind myself that at my age it is like fishing you do not expect to catch them all. I have good peripheral vision so the world does look like it always did, it only starts to have a mind of its own when I try to look close up at small items also news print and monitors though I do have a news print reading aid for books etc. Though between ourselves full stops comers and other small punctuation marks are now starting to slip past me unnoticed with the odd spelling faux pas. I will do that thing politicians hate to do a "U" turn and keep with you all until it becomes really impossible for me. Thank you all once again for all that you have said, that sort of thing never happens to me only other people, So what I would finally like to say is lets put my problem at the back of the shelf out of sight and out of mind for the foreseeable future and I will continue to take the Medication.

Thank you all Ernie.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: What colour is it? - 03/01/21 09:53 PM
Damascus, Please stay with us, you a re a valuable resource. I am on the board of a nonprofit and they operate a low-vision clinic. I have seen firsthand what wonderful visual assistance devices are available for the vision impaired and hope that you can seek out such a clinic for some technological assistance.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What colour is it? - 03/02/21 12:05 AM
A sometime poster here, Robert Chambers, has been dealing with failing eyesight as well and took delivery of some kind of magnifying device to use with computer screens. Perhaps like the one mentioned that Bill Wise used. I haven’t spoken to him since last summer to see how it’s working but I could.

Damascus, I’ve very much enjoyed your posts here. It will be a lesser place without your knowledge.
Posted By: keith Re: What colour is it? - 03/02/21 12:15 AM
Ernie, I posted a reply yesterday hoping that you would choose to remain here with us as long as possible. But for some odd reason, my post did not show up in this thread.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you have reconsidered your early departure, because the information you provide to us is always appreciated and typically very good. Your actual experience with gun repair always comes shining through, which is not the case with those who are merely adept at copy-and-pasting what they read elsewhere.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: What colour is it? - 03/02/21 12:35 AM
I have had co- workers and friends who have coped with macular degeneration. The co-worker used a magnifying program to aid his work as a shipper/receiver.
Friends have had eye injections to slow the process.
All I can add, is to wish you the very best of treatment and vision aids.
I respect your contribution to our interest in vintage shotguns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com