doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon More insanity. - 02/24/21 02:34 PM
Just watched a flat (ten boxes) of Remington .410 skeet shells sell for $321.00 plus $20.00 shipping on GunBroker. In what world does it make any sense to pay $34.00 for a box of .410 ammo? At the current prices we all should have bought ammo last year when you could find it, then sell it this year at 150-250% return on investment. Winchester 209 primers are at $131.00/1,000. And people are still bidding at these prices. Insane.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 02:56 PM
Have you priced .22 ammo lately? Buckets of the cheap Remington .22s (1400 rounds) are selling for well north of $300 on Gunbroker.

I have a bucket that I bought when Gander Mountain closed and it's the last .22 ammo I'd ever use, as long as I have other ammo. Cheap Remingtons have a misfire rate approaching 10% in some boxes I've used, but I seriously thought of putting it up for sale anyway, just to see what it would bring.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 02:56 PM
I have about a pallet of ammunition
Cases of black powder
Cases of 12 and 20
Cases of 410
Cases of RST’s in various flavors 16 and 12

I don’t know anybody who is shooting a lot.
Where the heck are you guys using it?

I’m tempted to start selling some of it off just so I can buy something even more ridiculous.

After I’m gone, I can hear my children going to court and arguing over who gets the last box of RST’s!
Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 03:03 PM
Rifle primers are now at almost a buck apiece in some ads. Pretty crazy stuff. I reload a lot, for a lot of different calibers, and I was well stocked before this craze began. I might just join the frenzy and pour some gasoline on it, put some primers out there at 95 cents
Posted By: dogon Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 03:21 PM
Simple solution= Everyone quit buying so the supply chain can catch-up!!

This current ammo situation is like a perpetual motion machine which will keep running until we the buying public put's a stop to it! Rather than thread after thread about how outrageous these prices & shortages are. We should collectively start saying let's stop this madness, everyone quit buying for a while, it's the only way to get back to an even keel of sorts.
Posted By: Chantry Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
I don’t know anybody who is shooting a lot.
Where the heck are you guys using it?

I shoot 2-3 rounds of skeet every Sunday, so a case of shotgun shells lasts me only 4-5 weeks and there at least another 6-10 people who are there at a fairly regular basis. Once the weather gets warmer I expect cowboy shooting and plate shoots to start up again. Fortunately Cabela's is not jacking up prices when they get ammo in, I just bought 3 cases of Herter's 12g @59.99 a case.

I'm just glad I have been accumulating loaded ammo and reloading components well before this started. I should be fine for this year and well into 2022 with what I have now. if someone had told me I six months ago that I would have problems finding 12 g birdshot, I would've suggested they seek psychiatric help.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 04:00 PM
It seems insane now, but wait, there is a lot in the works, from increased ammo tax, FFL for ammo and no online sales. Which one will stick? all or none? It's all up in the air!!
Posted By: PALUNC Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 09:01 PM
OK after reading first post I went to Gunbroker and looked for myself. This is getting crazy. I don't want to go conspiracy theory here but I can not see people hording 410 and 28 gauge shotshells. I just bought a Rizzini RB Deluxe in 28 gauge a week ago and found thorugh a source I have used before some 28 bore shells shipped at $10 a box.
They had no 12's, 20's or 410 shells left.
I was looking at a Rizzini 410 side by side but no longer am since you can not find shells for it.
Posted By: Don A Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 09:27 PM
theres deals to be found you have to hunt for them.. I had bid on about 20 flats of 12ga target loads and got one for $78.79 thats probably over priced to some us as I remember the winchester AA $49 a flat days ....Inflation.. I fear that more than the china virus
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 09:39 PM
I'm hanging onto my 45 pounds of powder, 40,000+ 209 primers, and a zillion hulls. Didn't hoard, just normal inventory I've kept for years. And not a single thing for sale and isn't going to be. I will have to do some work arounds with new loads to keep my pressures under acceptable limits for my vintage guns but that's doable. Just wish I'd bought more Cheddite primers for my 16 gauge loads in Cheddite hulls but 2,300 will last me a while with the quail numbers so low--like 50 years at the current rate!
Posted By: Don A Re: More insanity. - 02/24/21 11:44 PM
Joe Im going call you and raise a 1000 cheddites
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 02/25/21 03:29 AM
I bought 15,000 cheddites a year ago just because they were available, cheap and fairly universal. My son found the Cheddite CX2000/209 primers in Cabellas bargain cave marked down to under $1.00 a hundred. Sent me a text asking how many he should buy. Them all I said. Ended up being just over 15,000. Used 5,500 loading shells for him and his bride. That should last him for the rest of the year and the rest will last me for a lot longer. Don't often see Cabellas Bargain Cave clearance items that come in so handy. Just wish they had shot for $11.00 a bag again.

I understand your point about having stuff on hand as a regular thing Joe. I have about a three year supply of stuff on hand as a general rule. That way I can laugh at spikes in supply and demand like we are seeing right now. I might get caught short on one powder or another but can always find a substitute option from things on hand. The flip side of that is that I do have powders I have little use for at the present time. Worst are rifle powders, that I used for rifles I never shoot or reload for any more. Gave nine pounds to a friend who ran out of several of his favorites and just can not find them for anything but sky high prices. He was looking for things I had but do not use any more. Easy call for me. Empty shot shells on hand might be enough to last me for the rest of my life but I still am adding to them just in case. You can never have too many once fired hulls. Down to the last 15,000 Federal Paper hulls and last 10,000 AA old style once fired hulls. Even found several thousand new Blue Magic Remington hulls last week. Use to load them in big numbers 30 years ago.
Posted By: GLS Re: More insanity. - 02/25/21 02:24 PM
I don't shoot clays nor skeet. I have enough loaded shells and reload components to take me to the Long Good-Bye at the rate I currently shoot game. Gil
Posted By: tut Re: More insanity. - 02/25/21 03:08 PM
I sold a flat of 16 gauge Federal 1 1/8 oz shells on gunbroker a few weeks ago for $205 and 20 bucks for shipping. Sold them because they were too darn heavy to shoot in any of my Foxes and I sold a Merkel a couple of years ago. Now before folks think that is an insane price, those shells were $14.00 a box when I bought them. So yep, I made 60 bucks, but then I had to drive them 45 minutes to the local UPS hub to ship them. They fellow who bought them in WV said they will last him a couple of years as he used them for hunting.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 02/25/21 04:25 PM
Those 209’s are now $150/1,000. I don’t care if people want to pay insane prices other than these crazy prices just pour gasoline on a fire of panic buying. I will not be buying again until they drop down to less than $40/1,000. But when I see common ammo selling for over a dollar per round I have to wonder who can afford to shoot them at that price?

If people decide to sell unwanted or unneeded ammo or supplies I am all for it. I’ve been giving away stuff I no longer need, but to friends. I did set aside two flats of new shells to give to a couple young church members this Spring. I introduced their older brother and sister to shooting several years ago. I’ll make the same offer to the parents again and then to them if the parents agree. Their sister still comes skeet shooting from time to time. She knows I always have everything she needs and enjoy taking her. Last time she brought a friend but before I could allow her to shoot I had to get her mother’s permission. They had a great time but most birds were allowed to land safely. The brother now “kills” everything in video games. But all now know how to safely handle guns and have a basic understanding of clay sports. That’s my real goal, safety and giving just a bit of knowledge into shooting.
Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 02/25/21 09:52 PM
I have a bunch of metric stuff up for sale on GB and there is, unfortunately, no feeding frenzy over it, despite my attempts to instigate one. Everyone with the good taste to have a German combination gun, drilling, or over-under already was ammo-prepared long ago. Or they shoot 2-3 rounds annually: Two for sight-in and one for the kill. I might have to start dumping primers and 209s to feel like I got to fully participate in the insanity.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 02/27/21 03:42 AM
Some guns are crazy and some not so much. All the ones I like seem to be on the crazy end. I just bought a gun that ended up as a bit of a bidding war. But it was a very hard to find gun, which was new in box, un-fired, it has been discontinued, they did not make that many of them and I have been looking for one for over four years. So I ended up paying $400-500.00 more than what I intended to pay for it. It all came down to a basic problem. If they made 25-35 or even 50 of them what were the chances I would ever come across a second one anytime soon when it took me four years to find the first? So I paid a premium to my way of thinking. But I also think about how happy my son will be when he opens up his graduation present and finds this. Hope someone decides your gun is just as important to him.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: More insanity. - 02/27/21 04:04 AM
One of the first questions I ask myself is,"When will I see another?
It usually ends with purchase green light.
Posted By: GLS Re: More insanity. - 02/27/21 04:35 PM
Some of the prices I've seen for reloading components amid complaints of "price gouging" remind me of the exchange between seller and buyer that I read in a hook and bullet book. "Sir, your prices for shotgun shells are too high. I can get the same shells across the street for $3.00 a box but he's out of shells." "That's the same price I charge when I'm out of shells, too."
At a turkey hunting site, primed unfired hulls are selling for $100 per 100 when they initially have sold for $12-15 per 100. Gil
Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 05:32 AM
The discussion here is focusing mostly on primers and loaded rounds. Have you seen the prices for just plain old old-stock bullets? Plenty are over a buck each, for old Hornadys and Speers. Boy am I glad I like to cast my own! Fortuitously last summer I stopped in at our closest scrap yard and asked for lead. They had just bought the contents of an X-Ray proof lab. All nice square sheets and boxes of pure lead. I bought all 1100 pounds of it, and have been kicking myself every day for not buying the huge bricks of tin they offered me. I already have tin. But not fifty pounds of it. And do I really truly need fifty pounds of tin?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 12:09 PM
I have many sheets of x-ray room lead that I used to use for casting round balls, also several billets of unused plumber's lead, and even a couple of the old lead sheaths that underground phone lines were housed in at intervals along the lines. All this is either pure pig lead or the equivalent. Also have a couple of bars of linotype. A friend once asked it I was sure the old x-ray room sheeting was safe to use. I replied "Sure. The only thing I've noticed is that when I walk across a sheet of it my cajones draw up and tingle". As I age further that might be an incentive to not cast it all up. wink

Picked up two unopened one pound containers of two different Hercules powders yesterday for $10 each.

Next time our range owner orders targets and shells he is going to get me a few bags of shot.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by pamtnman
The discussion here is focusing mostly on primers and loaded rounds. Have you seen the prices for just plain old old-stock bullets? Plenty are over a buck each, for old Hornadys and Speers. Boy am I glad I like to cast my own! Fortuitously last summer I stopped in at our closest scrap yard and asked for lead. They had just bought the contents of an X-Ray proof lab. All nice square sheets and boxes of pure lead. I bought all 1100 pounds of it, and have been kicking myself every day for not buying the huge bricks of tin they offered me. I already have tin. But not fifty pounds of it. And do I really truly need fifty pounds of tin?

You should have bought the tin. It has doubled in price, in the last year. I need a bunch of Tin for a project coming up. I am going to get back to dropping Bismuth shot. Have 400 pounds of pure Bismuth on hand. Will need 25 pounds of Tin to alloy it to 6%. Goal is to make size 4 or 5 shot. Both shot sizes are so close I might just drop 4 and be happy. Last time the sizes ran from full to about one size under. I need to figure out a way to separate out the larger from the smaller that will work quickly and be semi accurate. I have a new system coming which should hold temperature better that my Littleton Shotmaker. Temperature was very important in getting consistent size shot and nice roundish shot. Not all Bismuth shot is round but it does still work well. I would like the small shot for teal or wood ducks and the larger for mallards.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 07:21 PM
I have 4 cases of 16 ga Fiocchi. I do not have a gun for them. Not sure why I have them. Maybe I will sell them or just buy another gun to shoot them through.

John Boyd
Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 09:38 PM
I would just like to say that every single post here has made me laugh, or laugh and cry, thank you. Stan's tingling cajones, being reminded about my failure to perform on the huge bricks of tin at the smelly, disgusting recycling place, being tempted by the 16 gauge Fiocchi (I shoot 16 gauge in a Fox and a really neat LC Smith)...this all has been a reminder that I am still breathing.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 02/28/21 11:17 PM
[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Current bid $310.00 for one pound bottle. Eight different bidders. I doubt this will ever be paid for but if they do want one or two more I would be glad to ship them.

2000 CCI Primer Small Pistol 20 Boxes, current $605.00. Five bidders.

200 Rounds Federal 410 Gauge 2.5" $265.00 for eight boxes. That is $33.12 per box plus $15.00 shipping. I would load all they want for $20.00 a box.
Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 03/01/21 12:30 AM
OK, you convinced me, KY Jon, I am going to start tossing buckets of reloading component gasoline on the GB fire.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: More insanity. - 03/01/21 01:39 AM
Ky Jon, go on line and look up on Amazon "Selangor Pewter"...It is almost pure tin...no lead in it. The goblets are heavy. I bought beer mugs and wine glasses in Singapore in 1973. If you get the right seller, you can get a lot of tin.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: More insanity. - 03/09/21 03:31 AM
This weeks best buy. 200 CCI 209 primers sold for $115.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I have about a hundred grands of primers on hand at that price. Even chip in free shipping.

Posted By: pamtnman Re: More insanity. - 03/09/21 09:34 PM
KY Jon you are realizing/ witnessing better prices than what I think I can get. With a stack of boxed primers next to me on the dining room table, I first perused the competition on GB. It is a zoo, chaos. The buying is clearly emotional, because buyers are fixating on one item and bidding it way up while ten just like it languish at 10% the price for lack of attention. I don't know if I want to participate in this. Somehow it will end up being more work than it is worth.
Posted By: Chantry Re: More insanity. - 03/10/21 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by pamtnman
KY Jon you are realizing/ witnessing better prices than what I think I can get. With a stack of boxed primers next to me on the dining room table, I first perused the competition on GB. It is a zoo, chaos. The buying is clearly emotional, because buyers are fixating on one item and bidding it way up while ten just like it languish at 10% the price for lack of attention. I don't know if I want to participate in this. Somehow it will end up being more work than it is worth.

Or people are trying to manipulate the prices, but perhaps I am being cynical
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: More insanity. - 03/10/21 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by arrieta2
I have 4 cases of 16 ga Fiocchi. I do not have a gun for them. Not sure why I have them. Maybe I will sell them or just buy another gun to shoot them through.

John Boyd
What size shot and powder charge? Just in case you decide to sell.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: More insanity. - 03/10/21 04:20 PM
If this crap continues, selling ammo at super high prices, and people continue to pay this stupid prices then the hoarding will never stop. This monster keeps getting larger and larger.
Have people no shame?
Posted By: keith Re: More insanity. - 03/10/21 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
If this crap continues, selling ammo at super high prices, and people continue to pay this stupid prices then the hoarding will never stop. This monster keeps getting larger and larger.
Have people no shame?

Every bubble reaches a breaking point. But this buying and hoarding bubble is driven by the fear of ammo and gun restrictions and bans... due entirely to anti-gun Democrats. The monster is not people buying guns and ammo. The monster is a well founded defensive reaction to the reality that Democrats hate guns and they hate the ammo that is used in them.

You all know that, so stop being in denial about it, and stop thinking that giving up some classes of firearms or ammunition is going to appease the anti-gunners. Get rid of the anti-gunners, and the shortages and high prices will disappear. And the only way to get rid of them is to stop voting for them, and to get involved in securing our broken election process.

Democrats now want to give convicted felons the right to vote in order to get more Democrat voters. They say that they have paid their debt to society. Ask them if that concern for their rights extends to giving convicted felons the right to own firearms, and watch their reaction.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com