doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tut Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 12:03 AM
Anyone heard of the gunmaker in Italy making the guns for this company which apparently starts taking orders today? Looks like 3 models are available. Thoughts?

https://uplandguncompany.com/about-me/
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:01 AM
The company is RFM. I have never heard of them.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:12 AM
Ahh tough one, price for gun and basic options seems high. I wish them luck!
Posted By: battle Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:43 AM
Company is in Montana, office in Minnesota, repair in Michigan. Weird...
Posted By: tut Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by 28 gauge shooter
The company is RFM. I have never heard of them.

I think this company used to be known as Luciano Rota.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:36 PM
Tut is correct. This was L Rota or still is
Jimmy Austin from New England Arms imported these at one time

John
Posted By: bls Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 02:48 PM
The office appears to be a house? Or a field? In the heart of Grouse Country just West of Duluth, MN Maybe they know their game!
But this show a big field:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6328-32nd-Ave-NE_Remer_MN_56672_M91038-77278
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 03:34 PM
I hope they aren't doing it for profit.
JR
Posted By: tut Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 04:07 PM
In the finer print it say 90 days from order till delivery normally and about 120 days currently with Covid. Looks like Fieldsport will carry inventory as will Franklin Gun Shop in Tn. I'd want to put one through the eye ball test before ordering for sure.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/05/21 06:26 PM
The Mythos with options a bit over $7000. I think you can get a lot more gun elsewhere for that kind of money.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/06/21 06:08 PM
http://www.rfmarmi.it/index.php
JR
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/06/21 06:27 PM
Did Bill Hanus have a storefront?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/06/21 10:58 PM
I live 10 miles from the Franklin Tn Gun Store. I may go take a look.
Posted By: tut Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Gr8day
I live 10 miles from the Franklin Tn Gun Store. I may go take a look.

Would be super to have eyes on target and get a first hand report. Their website doesn't have good pics for sure.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 01:16 PM
I shoot with a guy who shoots a Fausti 28/32 gauge set. It is the DEA I believe. It is really a pretty gun. It has gold spattered in several spots on the receiver.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 01:22 PM
It's an interesting approach, with all the options available. That being said, my memories of Rota aren't very positive. When New England Arms went out of business, Cabela's acquired the FAIR OU's, which were decent guns. They also acquired at least some of the Rotas, which were NEA's least expensive Italian sxs. I wasn't at all impressed by what I saw . . . even at the lower prices Cabela's put on the guns they picked up from NEA.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
That being said, my memories of Rota aren't very positive.

About 15 years I owned a Rota made gun for about a year and it gave the old "Pride of Spain" guns a run for their money for problems, including soft metal issues that showed up after I sold the gun. As the old saying goes "once burned twice shy".
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 03:14 PM
The two or three Luciano Rota guns I’ve seen were junk. I think, if my memory is holding up, that Tri-Star and Cape Outfitters imported those guns too.
Those NEA FAIR O/U’s when they were being liquidated were probably the best deals ever on a quality gun. I picked up a 16 bore Model 500 with upgraded wood for 1k. Some were going for less than that.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Those NEA FAIR O/U’s when they were being liquidated were probably the best deals ever on a quality gun. I picked up a 16 bore Model 500 with upgraded wood for 1k. Some were going for less than that.

Wes, Dave and I priced those guns (FAIR)to sell and we moved them quickly. Re: the Rota guns. I was unimpressed as well, but that said, we sold them pretty quickly as well, and I don’t recall ever getting one back with issues.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/07/21 07:04 PM
I just picked up a Rota over/under because it was very cheap and my cousin wants a cabin gun. A low end gun but it has decent wood and it sure shoulders nicely. It won't see hardly any use so hopefully won't be any real issues.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Upland Gun Company launch - 02/08/21 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Bryant
Originally Posted by LeFusil

Wes, Dave and I priced those guns (FAIR)to sell and we moved them quickly. Re: the Rota guns. I was unimpressed as well, but that said, we sold them pretty quickly as well, and I don’t recall ever getting one back with issues.

Tom, good to hear from you! And agree 100% with what Dustin said. Those FAIRs were damned good buys. Too bad they weren't making sxs back then . . . or if they were, not sending them to the States.

I remember talking to one of the guys at Owatonna . . . pretty sure it wasn't Bill Taylor, but someone else who was reasonably knowledgeable about shotguns. I was looking at a Rota, already wasn't impressed, and he basically told me to avoid them. But then back in those days, I was doing my best to support the Owatonna Gun Library, particularly the sxs part. And Bill and his crew were great to work with. Didn't know how good we had it until everything changed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com