doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 08:05 PM
Looking at powder and primer prices on GunBroker. $100/pound for some powders, $200/1,000 for some primers. It is insane. By the time you reload a round the cost per round is going to be outrageous. It’s like the panic buying of GameStop stock. A $20 stock hit 300 before it crashed. If you missed the buy on the way up there was no reason to buy it near the peak but many did. Same with .20 primers, .30 powder and who knows how expensive bullets. Just wait it out and buy it when it returns to more normal price levels.
Posted By: SKB Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 08:09 PM
1000 federal match magnum primers recently hammered for 1800$ on GB....just crazy.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 09:26 PM
Interestingly, I have been trying to unload 10,000 LPPs that I bought by mistake but they are selling for MUCH less than most of the deals that are closing at the same time. For instance on Sunday night, I sold 1000 primers for $60 when there were more than a dozen bids on half a dozen identical items, all of them over $100. Makes no sense.

I also sold a 1000 Federal Match primers for well under $200 about a week or 10 days ago.
Posted By: Marc Ret Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 09:58 PM
Wonder how all these Gunbroker powder and primer transactions are being completed? AFAIK, one must possess a valid Haz-Mat license to be able to legally ship those items.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Ret
Wonder how all these Gunbroker powder and primer transactions are being completed? AFAIK, one must possess a valid Haz-Mat license to be able to legally ship those items.

Simply not true.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 10:19 PM
Well....I just looked into this as I had recently bought locally-available reloading supplies for some family back east. I talked to USPS, the UPS, local shipping services, and even an old employer. While gunpowder is not chemically identified as an explosive material (it's merely a propellant) it is treated as if it were a form of high explosive by just about every Federal Agency that has anything to do with it anymore. Hyper-regulated would be my term for it. Loaded ammunition is far-easier to ship (although the "ORMD" rating was reportedly just terminated by the USPS on 1/1/2021, it's now a new form of a "small quantity" designation). I worked in the environmental remediation world for well-over 20-years with many Federal Agency clients. We shipped lots of really-dirty stuff to lots of legally-specified places over the years and I had figured that a normally, commercially-available 8-lb keg of rifle powder in it's factory sealed heavy plastic container would not be a big deal. I stand corrected. I'm not willing to bend any of the rules here because the penalties for doing so would be devastating financially (& otherwise). If someone here can direct me to a simple, inexpensive & legal way to ship this material, I'm all ears.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/04/21 11:01 PM
The simplest answer to your question, Lloyd, is to simply call your local BATF office and ask. I find them more than happy to answer such questions.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 12:05 AM
I am thinking about selling all my powder and primers on hand. I need a new Ford pickup truck and I could use the $70.000 they should bring at these prices.
Posted By: tut Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 12:19 AM
Did a internet search for 16 gauge Remington Express loads on line and only one place had them in stock and one box was $69.00 Geez.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
I am thinking about selling all my powder and primers on hand. I need a new Ford pickup truck and I could use the $70.000 they should bring at these prices.

Good luck with that. You are likely to be disappointed.
Posted By: craigd Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD
The simplest answer to your question, Lloyd, is to simply call your local BATF office and ask. I find them more than happy to answer such questions.
Do they provide documentation that shippers will honor?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by craigd
Do they provide documentation that shippers will honor?

That depends. In one case recently, of selling a pistol f2f with an out of state ex-FBI agent, I simply arranged to have BATF speak to him directly on my phone. End of the BS right there. Shippers do not have to ship it. BATF will tell you if the CAN ship it. For example, UPS Stores will not ship guns. But UPS hubs will. It's a company thing.

I have been shipping primers without a problem. I'm comfortable that I'm legal. I have not shipped powder.

I would just call BATF for starters. I doubt you will have a problem with FedEx or UPS hubs if you know the law. But again, company policy may vary.
Posted By: JDH Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 11:37 AM
When HR 127 is made law by the Democrats will it be panic buying or panic selling? I don't think you will have to call the BATF, most likely they'll be calling you.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/05/21 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by JDH
When HR 127 is made law by the Democrats will it be panic buying or panic selling? I don't think you will have to call the BATF, most likely they'll be calling you.

Want to make a wager on that?
Posted By: James Flynn Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/06/21 02:59 PM
Things are really bad here. Recently someone broke into our oldest sporting goods store and stole three photographs of guns.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/06/21 05:46 PM
At the rate things are going shooting will become a spectator sport....with admission just to watch.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/06/21 06:28 PM
I heard of a shooter who was caught looking a pictures of primers on the shelf of a gun store. His wife was not amused.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/06/21 06:58 PM
I have been shipping primers without a problem. I'm comfortable that I'm legal. I have not shipped powder.

Are you shipping them as Haz-mat? Its my understanding ammunition is ok under 66lbs with ORM-D but primers and powder must go Haz-mat.
Is that incorrect?
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/07/21 12:08 AM
I have plenty of large rifle and magnum large rifle primers. I surely wish I could find some magnum small pistol primers but not at the prices they are going for. Think I'll just wait it out.
Posted By: JDH Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/07/21 04:43 PM
Sure, I bet your in denial.
Posted By: keith Re: Panic buying is crazy. - 02/07/21 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by JDH
Sure, I bet your in denial.

JDH, I think the problem is more than just denial:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com