doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Southern Sport Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/25/21 09:03 PM
I'm looking at a Fox A grade with 30 inch #1 weight barrels. Serial number puts it at 1924 manufacture date. The seller says the gun weighs 7 pounds 10 ounces. That's a lot of gun. The #1 weight barrels were the heaviest I believe. I normally upland hunt with my SXS's but this appears to be more of a water fowl/target gun. Does anyone here have any experience with these heavier Fox guns? How do they handle? Thanks.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/25/21 09:29 PM
I recently had the pleasure of handling a Fox A grade 12 gauge with 28" #4 weight barrels weighing less than 7 pounds. I was surprised at how well it handled.
Posted By: topgun Re: Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/25/21 09:33 PM
They make for a great dove gun.
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/25/21 09:36 PM
I supposed it would be a great dove gun. A little heavy for quail but I may just buy it
anyway. What the hell. You only live once.
Posted By: dirty harry Re: Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/27/21 03:08 AM
MY PARKER TROJAN, WITH 30 IN. BARRELS (12 GA.) WEIGHTS 8 POUNDS,1OZ.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Fox A Grade #1 Barrel Weight - 01/27/21 12:41 PM
Actually, #1 weight was the heaviest on the normal frame Fox guns. However. the HE and Sterlingworth Wildfowl 12 gauge guns both came with 0 weight barrels. These were both made with wider frames to accommodate the heaviest barrels offered. I'm not super technical, but I'm sure the width of the frame is readily available, probably in McIntosh's book.

My HE has 32 inch 0 weight barrels and weighs 8lbs.,11.9 ounces.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com