doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dave Schiller Mystery Superposed - 01/24/21 10:44 PM
An internet acquaintance asked me to help identify a Super he has. It's a 28 ga in Superlight configuration with a straight stock and Schnabel forend. The photos he sent me indicate that the gun is in immaculate condition. Details as follows. Serial # is 28xx F69. The long tang used on Superlights has the matching serial # stamped on the upper (stock) side as does the inside of the forend. Barrels are 26.5" choked SK/SK. So far, everything says it's a Superlight. Now the mystery begins. The receiver is engraved in the typical Grade 1 style, not the European market A1 pattern. Also, the bottom corners are "square", not rounded as they are on a Superlight. It's not marked "Lightning". In addition, the butt end of the stock is not hollowed out for weight reduction as I believe Superlights are. And last, the wood finish is duller than the glossy poly finish typical of most guns of the period. It's not a salt gun either.

So the question is: What does he have? My two guesses are that it was (1) a special order gun or (2) someone started with a field grade gun and modified the wood. I guess a competent stocker could convert a normal stock into a straight hand and remove enough wood from a full forend to make into a Schnabel' A long tang could have been purchased and included in the modification. The forend has the typical cross-screw and latching mechanism.

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 12:50 AM
I vote for a restock.
I believe a non radiused receiver = a non Superlight.
Solid rib or vent rib?
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 01:48 AM
Vent rib with two beads.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 02:01 AM
Unequivocally not a "Factory" Superlight.
Ask me how I know.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A radiused receiver helps with the illusion.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Unequivocally not a "Factory" Superlight.
Ask me how I know.

A radioused receiver helps with the illusion.

Ahhhh....ahhhh....isn't a phony Suoerlite bObby
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 03:04 PM
OK Bob, I'll bite. How do you know?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 05:03 PM
I did a Super restoration and upgrade last year,
1968 28 gauge ugly duckling to Superlight Pointer swan.
I spent $$ to re radius the receiver but opted to leave the vent rib.

It bothered a few to no end.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 05:10 PM
Looks great. Nice platform for engraving. Did you modify the stock to straight grip? Looks like it may have been a salt wood gun. Is this the gun you posted photos of?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Mystery Superposed - 01/25/21 07:53 PM
That was a sad looking gun when you started out. Came out nice. Don’t let the riffraff get you down. They only appreciate a true untouched Mossberg 500.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com