doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 12:54 AM
Anyone know a guy? Or have a product ? All my sources are gone
Trying to get these soles Stabilized or redone

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ed good Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 11:11 AM
if dry rot is separating and crumbling your sole, you could consider adopting an old dog an drinking tullamore dew irish whiskey...
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 11:50 AM
Seen it many times.

That’s one of the reasons I quit going with rocky boots, they would rot in the box.

Because climbing boots are crazy expensive, and the marketplace went to molded soles, you will find a number of online boot repairing businesses that target climbers.

I took a particularly favorite pair of boots, had the soles cut off, and had a particular dual rubber Vibram sole put on them for the purposes of hunting on rock.

Look for a shop in CO or UT.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 04:26 PM
Have you called the manufacturer of the boot and got their opinion?
IMHO....those boots are toast. That type of sole isn’t usually replaceable in my experience. I wear a couple of different brands of mountaineering boots. Asolo & Lasportiva. Boots from both makers can be bought with extra heavy duty vibram soles that are replaceable, but many of their models are not...especially if the company has gone with a proprietary sole for that specific model of boot or shoe. A friend had the vibram soles of his LaSportiva Trangos replaced a few years ago...the repair shop band sawed off the old vibram (plenty of meat to do that) and epoxy/glued the replacement on top of that....it was a good repair and held up for a few years. He eventually had to get another pair of Trangos. The repair is mostly a 1 time thing. You get 1 good repair out of the old soles and then it’s time to chuck em.
Posted By: MrCrockett Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 04:53 PM
You can still get Irish Setters at Red Wing stores or online, which are serviceable; they aren't American made though. The boots you have look like they are done and available adhesives will not be tough enough to trust IMHO.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 04:58 PM
No adhesive I know of will stick rotted rubber back together...Geo
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 05:37 PM
Rocky Mountain resole. I think.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 05:54 PM
I'd say it is time to get a new pair. Who made those?

Lots of really good boot options out there these days. But none of the good ones are cheap.
Posted By: ed good Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 06:41 PM
it also helps to listen to rush limbaugh...
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 06:47 PM
Yeah I know, plenty of boots out there to buy. It is an 8-10 year discontinued boot that is roughly new in box but dry rotted. It is a Birkenstock product and insanely comfortable and well fitting. I’d drop $100 to put 2-3 years on them my current cost in them is $20. And contacting Birk was a store credit option.
Posted By: keith Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 09:33 PM
That looks like a great place to try windshield urethane adhesive. It is a single component moisture cure adhesive that is very tough, flexible, waterproof, and black in color.

I've used the 3M brand, and a few other brands for replacing windshields. A few years ago, I used some leftover urethane to repair a tear in a pair of GI Mickey Mouse boots, and the repair has held up very well. Anything left doesn't last long in the tube after it is opened, because the humidity in the air causes it to cure fairly quick. You might be able to buy a partial tube from a local windshield repair shop, since you won't need a whole caulking tube, and most will go to waste once it is opened. They might also have a tube that is past the expiration date,. It is absolutely not recommended to use expired windshield urethane when replacing a windshield for safety reasons. But it will still work great for other repairs for some time after the expiration date. I wish they packaged it in smaller tubes because it is really great stuff.
Posted By: docbill Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/21/21 10:29 PM
Look up Dave Page in Seattle, Washington. He is a magician on that sort of work. Authorized repair for Meindel I think.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/22/21 01:33 AM
Dave Page in Seattle rebuilt a pair of Meindles for me in 2019. Very similar conditions with mine as yours. Did a fantastic job but it is fairly expensive. Think I ended up paying about $150 for the job but I gotta tell you they are better than new and aren’t going to rot out again. They are Meindle’s authorized repair station in the US.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
Posted By: K Crowley Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/24/21 07:34 PM
Aquaseal
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/25/21 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Marks_21
Anyone know a guy? Or have a product ? All my sources are gone
Trying to get these soles Stabilized or redone

You buy a pair of boots that are built like tennis shoes just throw them away.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Off topic help. Boot repair. - 01/25/21 07:01 PM
At 75 years old, I would kill to be able to wear out, or even break in, the boots in my closet, especially the Filson Uplanders that I bought before I had about five back surgeries and a total fusion. I can still walk, but I can't run or hunt birds. Retail $375.00
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com