doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: campero W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/20/21 05:15 PM
Can someone tell me which model is this W&C Scott&Son (circa 1898)? It has original barrels in perfect condition. It is an ejector 20 ga.

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Nudge Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/22/21 07:23 PM
This is a bit of a stumper...and here's why. The serial number of this gun puts is just AFTER Webley's acquisition of W&C Scott. The gun is clearly stamped W&C Scott, and the action looks like a [pre-Webley] Model 162 boxlock. But I have never seen one of those which had the 'half-moon' of stock wood protruding into the frame like this. THAT, is something more often seen on a Reliance or Continental model, both early Webley-era guns. But those guns all have cross-bolts, as I recall.

So the lame answer is...I'm really not sure. Perhaps it's an odd duck mix/match? The serial number would certainly make that a possibility. But tough to say...maybe others will chime in.

NDG
Posted By: ed good Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/22/21 07:44 PM
lovely gon...
Posted By: battle Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/22/21 11:42 PM
Has it been restocked? Wood looks a tad proud.
Posted By: campero Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 12:19 AM
Thanks!

I wish I could have kept the original stock, but it is too short and I need a longer one. The shotgun is in very good condition after so many years. On the right barrel is the address (W & C. Scott & Son Makers 78, Shaftesbury Avenue, London ) and on the left: Made expressly for Luis Vives & Cía (Schilling's father-in-law).

So is difficult to know which model is this SxS... NDG, do you have a picture of a 162 model?

Posted By: Imperdix Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 11:49 AM
The Patent and use no on the bar are for J.Deeley Jnr`s ejector patent of 1884.
Hth.
Posted By: lagopus Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 01:34 PM
Perhaps being close to the amalgamation they were using parts from different models in order to use them up. Ford motors do this when about to change a model and use up parts from different models and then sell them under a fancy name which are only available for a short time. Just a theory. Lagopus…..
Posted By: DblFixer Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 06:30 PM
I have a similar W&C Scot&Sons with identical engraving but without the half moon stock. The sn is 616xx and I have been told that it is circa 1899. The heads of the pins through the side of the action are convex unlike yours. It is an ejector with crossbolt action. The pat number is s 259-93 Use number 1918. Barrels say W & C Scott and sons makers and London England. Also on Flats Nitro Proof 1 1/4 oz shot? Was it nitro proofed later?
Regards
Dblfixer
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 06:47 PM
Strange, I’ve always identified rebated pins as being a Belgian thing.
Something new.
Posted By: campero Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 09:08 PM
Thanks again!

Imperdix, thanks for the patent date.

Curious what you say, lagopus.

Great, Dblfixer! Can we see some pictures? Which model is yours? Mine have the adress I said, and tomorrow I'll see if it has any Nitro Proof mark. See the picture below.

I shoot modern cartridges and have no problem. What do you think? Barrels are in great condition!

Clapper, except for the new stock, the shotgun is 100% original.

Regards!
Posted By: DblFixer Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/23/21 10:33 PM
I don't know what model it is. I am not able to post from a website but could send you pictures to your email.
Posted By: campero Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/24/21 11:22 AM
Ok, I'll send you a message.

I wish the shotgun could talk to tell her story. A lady with more than a century of life...

The ejection patent:

It has only three proof marks engraved on it, plus the diamond with the 20 C inside.

Sorry, this is the lion proof mark:

On each barrel is a word that I don't understand. It may say something like "STEEL...". I don't know.

Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/24/21 11:50 AM
Wow. What a finely finished shotgun.

Everywhere I look in each one of the photos, every nook and cranny has been filed and polished.

Just beautiful.

For me, because time represents energy, the finer the polishing, into the deeper the crevices, translates into the greater the energy put into it.

When I see a firearm taken to 600 grit in every crevice, and never a scratch greater than a 600, I am delighted.

Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: Nudge Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/24/21 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by DblFixer
I have a similar W&C Scot&Sons with identical engraving but without the half moon stock. The sn is 616xx and I have been told that it is circa 1899. The heads of the pins through the side of the action are convex unlike yours. It is an ejector with crossbolt action. The pat number is s 259-93 Use number 1918. Barrels say W & C Scott and sons makers and London England. Also on Flats Nitro Proof 1 1/4 oz shot? Was it nitro proofed later?
Regards
Dblfixer

The gun you have is one of the two I was referencing...Reliance or Continental.

NDG
Posted By: campero Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/24/21 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Wow. What a finely finished shotgun.

Everywhere I look in each one of the photos, every nook and cranny has been filed and polished.

Just beautiful.

Thanks, you are so kind. This "lady" is a shotgun with a long history, but not so finest as you said.

NDG, mine is very similar to "The Reliance" model, but without the protuverance on the reciever.

Regards!
Posted By: campero Re: W&C Scott&Son model? - 01/26/21 05:41 PM
Esta escopeta W.C. & Scott & Son se hizo en la fábrica de Londres "expresamente" para Luis Vives & Cía en Barcelona.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com