doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/15/21 06:51 PM
I had held out hope that if I could find someone with a copy of the Crawford & Whatley book on Scott that I might be able to confirm (or not) whether these are Scott locks. One of our members across the pond was nice enough to look through his copy of the book and it has very little on percussion era Scott guns. So I'll re-post just the lock photos (from the 11ga W. Morse & Co thread) with the hope that one of you may have a Scott gun of this era (1860's - 1875) that you could pull a lock from and compare. Thanks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/15/21 08:38 PM
I am not familiar with the Scott guns of the period you are enquiring about but I don't think that your locks are any where near the quality of their work. All components are poorly filed up and of simplistic form and specifically the sear pivots on a bridle pin whereas I would expect it to have a plain axle fitted and the sear spring is very 'agricultural'. I am not saying that your locks wouldn't work just fine, just that they do not exhibit the quality I have seen in every Scott gun I have stripped.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/16/21 05:20 PM
Not sure why you think W.C. Scott would have made locks for another gunmaker....Scott made entire guns for other makers.

During the time period you're referring to a lot of the gun makers even W.C. Scott were buying their locks from specialized lock makers like Stanton and Brazier...what I see in the picture is likely a Belgium made knock off.
Posted By: gunman Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/17/21 09:50 AM
May be a " Scott " but not any that would be reconised . These are cheap low quality locks that would be poor even by the lowest Belgian standards . Possibly made in India or the far East .
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/17/21 08:50 PM
Here is a lock from a W & C Scott from 1870. Though it belongs to a hammer breechloader it was made during the late percussion era. Just a common gun made for export but notice all parts finely fit and polished. Lock is stamped “Stanton’s Patent” but I suspect it was made by another Wolverhampton lock maker, due to the small makers mark near the top of the lockplate. Patent would refer to Stanton’s rebounding hammer of 1868. Nothing crude here!

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: LeFusil Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/17/21 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Here is a lock from a W & C Scott from 1870. Though it belongs to a hammer breechloader it was made during the late percussion era. Just a common gun made for export but notice all parts finely fit and polished. Lock is stamped “Stanton’s Patent” but I suspect it was made by another Wolverhampton lock maker, due to the small makers mark near the top of the lockplate. Patent would refer to Stanton’s rebounding hammer of 1868. Nothing crude here!

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

More than likely...the lock was probably made in Birmingham at the Scott factory. It’s a Stanton patent lock for sure. Scott’s had everything necessary at its own ginormous factory to make any lock it chose to without going the outsourcing route.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/18/21 02:32 AM
Could be, LeFusil.....I agree Scott certainly had the ability to make their own locks, along with everything else. I do find the touchmark at the top of the lockplate interesting. It appears to be a partially broken die stamp that was a crown over a S. Have never seen that on a Scott before but that doesn’t mean much.
Posted By: mc Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/18/21 03:32 PM
I have a scott Monte Carlo with Stanton locks 1892 .No crystal indicator with intercepting sears.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: W. & C. Scott & Son locks? - 01/21/21 12:30 AM
Thanks to you all, gentlemen. I appreciate your insights.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com