doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 03:16 AM
After many months of work, this new higher-end gunshop in Conifer is finally open. I was up there today to meet a friend for lunch and get the final tour. A very nice mix of nicer 50s and 60s classics alongside many newer options. They have a good assortment of rifles, shotguns and handguns. Clearly, a significant effort was made to achieve an attractive environment and they have succeeded in spades. The doubles seemed to be mostly classic American, but nothing would surprise me there. They even have an assortment of classic 50s and 60s sub-gauge pump-guns (not something one sees much anymore) including a very early Remington 870 in 16 that weighed not much more than 6lbs. Well worth the trip. There were decent restaurant options available up there as well, with no need to sit outside. Made for an entertaining afternoon.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 03:25 AM
Sounds like a nice place to visit, Lloyd. Bet they didn't have a Westernfield/Browning Model 30. wink

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 03:33 AM
They sure didn't Stan. Can't be too-many of those floating around as yours is the only one I've ever encountered. It was fun to see classic American pump-guns displayed in a more "respectful" setting (for lack of a better description), certainly a first for me. A very nice Model 97 in 16-gauge was priced well over four figures. The times... they are a changing.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 03:41 AM
I'm kinda excited about soon paying a visit to a gun store I've been wanting to go to for years ............Mid South Guns, in Wagram, NC. Gonna be a looong day trip.

Been saving my pennies ........

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 05:30 AM
Stan are you looking for a 12, 16 or 20 gauge version of the Browning designed pump gun to complete your set? I have my set. Looked a long time for a solid example of each, in nice condition. I like how they work but wold pick a Remington model 31 in 20 gauge or a Winchester model 12 in 20 or 28 gauge as a dove gun.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 05:54 AM
Mid South should be fun Stan. Rather incredible diversity of guns there. Maybe not as pristine as what I was looking at today but most were certainly serviceable.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
Stan are you looking for a 12, 16 or 20 gauge version of the Browning designed pump gun to complete your set? I have my set. Looked a long time for a solid example of each, in nice condition. I like how they work but wold pick a Remington model 31 in 20 gauge or a Winchester model 12 in 20 or 28 gauge as a dove gun.

Not really looking for anything in particular, Jon. I'd love to have an Iver Johnson Skeeter .410 with long barrels, maybe a higher condition Iver Johnson Special Trap than the two I have, the right 28" barreled M42, with more than skeet choke, and long barreled. Graded Philly Foxes are always of interest. I'm mostly going to be looking for deals, as always.

A friend and I are planning to drive up to Jim Kelly's in Darlington and drop off a couple guns for him to sort out, then run on up to Wagram for a couple hours. I've never been in a gunshop that had as many vintage guns as I've heard they have. So many of what I've bought in the last 15 years have been bought sight unseen (with an inspection period, of course), that it will be nice to be able to actually look at something, in hand, to evaluate it.

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Maybe not as pristine as what I was looking at today but most were certainly serviceable.

Sounds like a good place to look for those "out of the mainstream" guns and accoutrements.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 01:08 PM
Here you go.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889331577
Posted By: dogon Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 03:29 PM
Really glad to see Brian got his shop open, he's put a lot of effort into both planning & execution for it. I wish him the best & need to get up there once things calm down some. I would rather drive the 45 minutes to get to Conifer rather than the ten minutes to go to the next best shop in downtown Denver.

Our old buddy Dave is working for Brian part time, when do you start as well?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 06:40 PM
I suspect that Brian's shop would be a fun place to work. The commute would kill me though, possibly literally. US 285 up through Turkey Creek Canyon is probably better than it used to be but....it's still a handful.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Mountain Guns - 01/15/21 10:14 PM
A Model 97 (or 1897) in 16 gauge for 4 figures?? You gotta be kidding. Must be a Trap or Black Diamond in 120% as new unfired condition. Sure would like to see fotos of that baby.
Posted By: dogon Re: Mountain Guns - 01/16/21 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I suspect that Brian's shop would be a fun place to work. The commute would kill me though, possibly literally. US 285 up through Turkey Creek Canyon is probably better than it used to be but....it's still a handful.

I hear you about the commute! Reminds me of the bumper stickers people who had to commute 285 everyday back in the 70's & early 80's "Pray for me-I drive 285"

285 is much improved from back in those days, but the increased traffic kind of makes it a moot point. Still IMO, it's well worth the drive to get to a good quality shop like Brian has put together!!!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Mountain Guns - 01/16/21 08:40 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hope Brian doesn't mind....

Foxy: yes...I was a bit surprised by the price tag on the '97. I wasn't a Black Diamond.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 03:43 AM
well, if you were talkin bout real mountain gons, then ah just got in ah good one...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883422334
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 04:57 AM
Looks awesome, Lloyd. Might have to visit when (hopefully) I’m in the area in July.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
well, if you were talkin bout real mountain gons, then ah just got in ah good one...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883422334

Since you have had the gun for a month and have had ample time to evaluate it please explain your criteria for calling it "a good one".

I can tell from the pics that it's not. The top lever is so far left it's likely off face. The buttstock is a piece of crap, with a wood screw through the rt. side of the head, and chunks of wood missing all over it.

Another example of why your descriptions of guns you sell "won't hold water", to put it nicely.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 12:40 PM
uh stan, pls do remove yo foot from yo mouth an reread my post...gun has been in my hands for over ah month now...not that it means anything to anybody cept you...

an stan, member when you was ah little boy, an sum one older an wiser dan you said, "if you aint got nuttin nice to say, den dont say nuttin tall"...or meebe you missed dat lesson...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 01:03 PM
Okay, my mistake on the time frame. My apologies. Correction made to prior post to delete my error.

Now, go further and explain how it is a "good one". Are the pictures that are are still on the GB site not pics of the actual gun? Is it your actual evaluation of the gun, in hand, that it is a "good one"?

I didn't miss that lesson, ed. But, I understood it better when I read Edmund Burke's famous quote ....... "The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do(say) nothing".

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 03:11 PM
well stan, relax, der aint nuttin evil bout me nor dis here fine forum...

an as fur mountain gons, one gotta have bird hunted awl day in the mountains to appreciate such rugged, easy carrying and reliable guns, such as this fine old first year production 20 bore fox...ah real veteran...wood aint pretty, but it is solid...perhaps some cosmetic work is in order...some bondo here an there an ah fresh paint job an she will be ready fur a nutter 100,000 miles...might even change duh earl...
Posted By: james-l Re: Mountain Guns - 01/17/21 07:48 PM
Stan, check out #17123801 on gun auction.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Mountain Guns - 01/19/21 03:46 AM
Mr. Bryant, let's hope this July is a good one for us all.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com