doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Wood grades - 01/13/21 03:37 PM
In the spirit of learning what grade would this stock be considered?
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 04:49 PM
Not good at grading but a beautiful piece of wood..............except for the fish scale checkering.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 05:42 PM
Pretty butt, however the grain through the wrist looks suspect.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 05:51 PM
Crotch grade 4

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/store/p385/Claro_Presentation_Grade_Feather_Crotch_Walnut_Blank_%233.html

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/wood-species/walnut-grades/
Posted By: nca225 Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 06:12 PM
If your considering purchasing it, pass. That pistol grip looks gawd awful.
Posted By: Pete Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 06:44 PM
It doesn't look suitable for a gunstock. Very weak in the wrist!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 07:32 PM
Even on a through bolt gun I would pass on that blank. Will end up cracked or made into a lamp. You can’t forget layout as job number one in making a stock.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 07:33 PM
Not too worried! Just curious about wood grades.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 09:01 PM
Every seller has a different scale. Call it 4A or even Exhibition grade if you want, it is symmetrical in figure. A lot of blanks are one side much better than the second. But as a stock it is more eye candy than value. Long term the layout will most likely result in failure. And why they added that disfiguring black mess on top is a mystery to me. But if the buyer is happy then that’s the only vote which counts.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 09:21 PM
Thanks Jon! I’m not a fan of the black mat on the stock as well, but the gun fits and shoots nice. It’s a standard mass produced O/U. I couldn’t figure out the grading systems for wood, but what you wrote makes sense as every site I found was different.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 10:00 PM
Looks great! Benelli has good wood in there O/U. Is the wood an upgrade?
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wood grades - 01/13/21 11:08 PM
Came with it on the silver receiver.
Posted By: tut Re: Wood grades - 01/14/21 12:14 PM
Nice wood except the layout IMO is god awful. probably would never matter in a clays type gun unless you drop it or fall on it. Too me its suspect enough that if you had it in a case and dropped the case it might crack.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wood grades - 01/14/21 12:33 PM
Like I said not worried, if it were a real issue the internet would be full of broken stock pics from Beretta/Benelli and lower quality O/U’s. Maybe on a hundred year old gun with thin arms but this thing not worried at all.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Wood grades - 01/15/21 04:21 PM
The fish scales tend to hide the real grain pattern but I think I see reasonable grain on a best quality american walnut stock. Should be good on anything but a duck gun, trap loads should be no problem.

bill
Posted By: gunman Re: Wood grades - 01/17/21 10:00 AM
Grades are what the seller wants them to be . There are no set standards . My grade 1 may be your idea of a grade 2 . All you can go on in mass produced guns is the makers standard for each model .

Some wood that looks very pretty and is suitable for machining for O/U's ,where a reinforcing tube can be fitted to over come short grain in the hand , will not be suitable for hand work on side by side's . So is it a grade one or not even though it has spectacular grain pattern ?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com