doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 03:26 PM
Watching the second days of the auction. Most prices seem to be torwards the high end of estimates with about a quarter selling for well above estimates. Market seems fairly good for decent guns. Almost all seem to get a bid above their reserve.

So far I have watched four of my bids be left in the dust. Tried to bid with the Invalable site auction bid system but had a hiccup exactly when I tried to raise my bid. Did not go through in time. Might not have mattered as I most likely would have just been outbid a few seconds later. Still have several more that I have bids on. Hope others are having more luck than I am.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 04:53 PM
0 for 11. Holts ought to pay me to show an interest in any item they list. Lost by 50 pounds to several thousand pounds. On the bright side I did enjoy looking at so many nice items. There is always another sale coming up.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 05:06 PM
Earl Spencer’s AYA number 3 28 bore sailed past its £500 high estimate to its £2000 hammer price.
I thought there was a .410 also previously owned by Charles Spencer but can’t see it in the auction sale results.
Edit to add his A.J. Rudd 3 inch boxlock ejector made £920 estimate £800-£1200
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 06:51 PM
I was hoping the Leech wouldn't sell and that it would end up in the sealed bids. Sold for 850 pounds, I believe (50 over the high estimate).
Posted By: battle Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 07:09 PM
I was following the Leech and a few others. Prices seemed above average.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 07:48 PM
Wonder who is buying? With the lead ban in effect in the UK and it coming to Europe who would be buying these older Best guns?
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 07:55 PM
I`ve watched the last 2 or 3 sales and the prices definitely didn`t reflect the UK market!!! Very strange tbh.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 08:33 PM
One needs to consider if the guns brought more value or did Holt's price them low.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 08:43 PM
The Alex. Martin badged over and under was a good buy for someone and if it had been a couple of years back I would have bid on it and thought myself lucky to get it at £1800 hammer price. I won’t be investing in any more guns though now that the lead ban is on the horizon. I will probably spend some cash altering chokes and buying some non steel alternatives to lead.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 08:51 PM
Was that one of the Italian built Alex Martins ? A friend had a 16b which was a really nice piece!!! Saw a 20b for sale a few years ago and it was just as good.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 08:59 PM
I didn't place any bids but did enjoy watching the bidding. The Bonham's auction was also very entertaining earlier this week. I did place a couple of bids at Gavin's for tomorrow. I think a number of those Holt's consignments came in ahead of the Brexit deadline on 12/31 when presumably tariffs will apply to EU-UK transfers of firearms. Look at the auction prices compared to comparable guns currently in the US. Middle and upper market English guns remain more attractively priced when sourced from the UK, even considering import hassle.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 09:30 PM
[quote=Imperdix]Was that one of the Italian built Alex Martins ? A friend had a 16b which was a really nice piece!!! Saw a 20b for sale a few years ago and it was just as good. [/quot

That’s correct. I think W. Saleri was the maker. Early last year a 20 bore was in the Holts sale. I was staying at Dunkeld House Hotel in March and called in at Dickson’s. , located in the hotel’s grounds ,I enquired about the Saleri over and unders ,they had a couple for sale ,if I remember correctly their 20 bore was £6000. I was told by the gunsmith there if I could buy the Holts gun for £3000 hammer price it would be a bargain. They have lovely lines and come up well to the shoulder, I think the 16 bore would be the pick of the bunch. Was the 16 bore you mentioned the ultra expensive B.Rizzini/Dickson that turned up in Martha’s Vineyard ?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 09:41 PM
Item 1700 was one item I was bidding on when my link failed. Don’t know if it was my end or theirs. I had just sent in a bid for 1200 pounds. You don’t see many 3 1/4” 1 1/2 ounce proof guns in that condition. I would have gone several hundred pounds more but the auction was over by the time my link was active again. That would have been a great duck gun for me. Only way it would be better if it had 32” barrels or 34” barrels.

I dropped out on the Grant side lever hammer gun at 2000, it sold for 2100 but I expect if I kept going it was still a lost cause. 1853 was my last hope. I went to 1600 pounds and it sold for 1800 pounds.

So I figured that I saved just over $ 30,000 by not winning all my items and about $4,000 in shipping and fees/taxes afterwards. Not every day you save almost $35,000 by not buying a bunch of guns.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 10:05 PM
Originally Posted By: battle
I was following the Leech and a few others. Prices seemed above average.

I have a better Leech though so I am not too upset about it!
Posted By: AaronN Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 10:29 PM
There was one I really wanted, but someone else I know really wanted it too so they offered to sell me one of their guns that I also want instead of bidding them up on the Holt's gun.
Posted By: battle Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/08/20 11:48 PM
The Purdey 28 bore hammer gun went cray cray...
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 06:11 AM
The 16b & 29b that I saw were both Saleri built guns,really impressive guns!!The 16 lived in Scotland and the 20 sat in a dealers in N Yorks but that was some years ago now.....
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: battle
The Purdey 28 bore hammer gun went cray cray...

Great looking gun. 29 5/8” barrels. Has a great history and is great shape. Plus it is a very rare gun in itself. Love to have it in my gun room.
Posted By: battle Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 07:33 PM
Anyone score at Gavin’s today? I got a few.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 08:22 PM
Got a pair of walnut blanks and a nice 16 bore hammer. My connection was choppy and I never heard or saw Gavin thru Invaluable once the bidding commenced in earnest. Battle, what did you score?
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 08:28 PM
The RIA auction was fascinating as well, many going high. I can’t explain it.
Posted By: battle Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 08:37 PM
Cogs sidelock. W&S and Greener boxlock.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holt’s auction sales - 12/09/20 09:57 PM
Nice. I was eying the Greener, too.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com