doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Wood Lefever question - 12/05/20 02:40 AM
Should a Syracuse Lefever have little coil springs to retract the firing pins? My little 16 doesn’t and it is a real pain in the butt when on closing sometimes the firing pins protruding out of the action hang up on the rim of my reloads when closing.
Posted By: keith Re: Lefever question - 12/05/20 03:06 AM
I've been inside a bunch of Syracuse Lefevers and have not ever seen springs to retract the firing pins. I have not experienced the problem you describe with difficulty closing the gun due to protruding firing pins.

On the older guns, you will find two small screws on the bottom of the action to adjust hammer rebound. Just going from memory, I would guess those adjusting screws were eliminated by serial number 35,000 or sooner.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Lefever question - 12/05/20 03:26 AM
The firing pins are free floating, the hammers aren’t pushing them but the enlarged hulls on my reloads cause the rims to catch on the pins on closing—they don’t fall in like a new case. It occurs if I’ve been carrying the gun open over my arm and the pins work their way forward. Just to fire the gun, reload, and then close is no problem. Irritating! I do know that most of the problem are those darned Cheddite hulls, they are terrible. But still a simple cure would be if coil springs could be added to the firing pin.
Posted By: GSPWillie Re: Lefever question - 12/05/20 12:40 PM
I have never see any type of springs on the firing pins either, but do not have really early pivot opener guns to inspect. Earlies gun in 21,00 range - 2 hook. I have only experienced the pin hanging problem that you mention a few times, but usually the extractor pushes the pins back as you close the gun so that the shell rims don't catch. In 16 gauge I normally reload Winchester compression formed cases. I suspect the Cheddites are probably larger and not fully dropping in the chamber? Maybe try resizing in a Mec Supersizer or try a different hull.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Lefever question - 12/05/20 01:29 PM
I think your reply went right over their heAds....
Posted By: ed good Re: Lefever question - 12/05/20 02:50 PM
put in ah coupla springs an see watt appens...

an we awl waitin to here back...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com