doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/18/20 06:17 AM

Bubba still lives. He welded the left hammer onto this gun. Do not know if the screw broke or he just lost it. A crude repair which almost blends into the gun at first glance. Classic way to make a minor repair into a major one to repair correctly.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/18/20 01:25 PM
Looks like a half-vast attempt at a TIG weld to my eyes- NOT the right procedure by a long shot--RWTF
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/18/20 03:05 PM
Yikes. Hopefully it is just soft soldered...
Posted By: Replacement Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/18/20 03:12 PM
It'll buff out.
Posted By: LeeS Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 01:23 AM
Must have run out of Duct Tape.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 04:51 PM
High grade Remington hammer guns, let alone Lifters, don't come around very often. They're about as scarce as hens teeth, and someone screwed it up like that ? Hope you're going to put it back in order. Is it a 10 or 12 ? I had a field grade 10, then a 12, and now a grade 4 12ga, and think it was made in 74. That one looks like it could be a real nice gun. Good luck. Paul
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 05:22 PM
I'm probably not the only person who's been wondering how they might attempt to take that apart.
It might have the makings of a friendly discussion.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 05:53 PM
I`d clean the weld off with a milling cutter to see how deep it`s penetrated first off.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 05:59 PM
Do you think the Tumblr axle is reusable?
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 06:02 PM
Who knows,it maybe !!!!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 06:21 PM
I've seen a video Of a mill that drills Square holes
It would be so cool to index the tumbler axle to a mill that cut square holes, and then remove just enough material to release the Hammer from the shaft But that may be too high-tech for this application.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 06:28 PM
Skim cut it with a mill and place the largest punch that will fit in the blind hole, support the hammer and try to crack any weld that bridges the gap. No way to tell if it will work until you try.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 06:45 PM
Hammer pin a filister u head? A countersink just might cut it loose without removing mat'l from the hammer?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/19/20 08:08 PM
I think the hammer will come off if you mill the surface weld and perhaps use an end mill to bore the hammer screw hole a little. Then clean up the shaft, drill and tap a new screw hole, make a new hammer screw and slightly refinish all the metal as needed. Great to turn a hundred dollar repair into a full days work with man and machine.

The grade four needs other work. Barrels are pitted but maybe not hopeless. They will need to be honed to clean up. Wood has two issues, one minor and one fairly major. If farmed out the hammer repair and wood repairs combined might be more than the gun cost. But I don’t see very many grade fours and saving this one might be worth it.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/21/20 08:47 PM
You guys talking about milling - you'd have to set up the whole receiver in the jaws of he vise - at least I think you would. The locks on a hammer gun are usually held in the stock with a screw that goes from the left lock to the right lock and head of the screw is located under the left hammer - the one buggered up. Maybe you could just clamp up the end of the receiver - just some thoughts. I'd just carefully grind a bit off hopping not too much grinding is needed.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/22/20 12:09 AM
Fixtures my good man. I would clamp the lock to a piece stock and put the stock in the vise.
Posted By: John E Re: Hammer repair the wrong way. - 11/22/20 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
Fixtures my good man. I would clamp the lock to a piece stock and put the stock in the vise.

...Ditto.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com