doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 01:21 AM
I'm not a Cashmore collector. I am not a collector of anything. But I do like to know a little bit more about the guns I shoot and hunt. Suddenly, I have two Cashmores - other than Winchesters, Marlins, and Ballards, that's unusual for me in the extreme. So I want to know if I can track down when these guns were made and any other details about them. Is there a go-to place for information on Cashmore guns? Does anyone have their records?

Both guns were certainly made after the demise of William Cashmore in '77, but better resolution would be nice if anyone knows.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:10 AM
It is my understanding there are no records existent for any of the Cashmore guns. He did send a lot overseas, mainly to Australia where he also had an office or retail outlet. Cashmores are noted to be very well built and highly thought of. I own a delightful side lock 16 by Cashmore with Whitworth barrels made sometime in the eartly 1900’s. While sans any engraving it exhibits the highest degree of craftsmanship in all respects. Though built in Birmingham it is on the London pattern, stocked to the fences and with the Anson forend release. It also has a hidden third fastener. Weighs less than 6 pounds with the 28” tubes. I hope you enjoy yours. Bits of information about Cashmore guns can be found on the web.

I have not been able to ascertain if Cashmore had a factory or was like most “names” in Birmingham, being a general contractor and utilizing the many out workers available in Birmingham.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:18 AM

Thanks, Joe. I've been tracking down the bits and pieces on the web.

One of my guns was made for the Christchurch market. I bought it out of New Zealand or Australia back when that was easy. It is a hammer gun that is just excellent, but it has no embellishments either. The new one was being offered by battle on the classifieds here. It just arrived today. A little fancier, it is just very nicely done.

If serial numbers matter, one is a 10,000 number and the other, the hammer gun, is a 14,000 number. If figure both are 20th century, but after that, it is all just a guess.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:22 AM
Brent, I’d love to see pics of your hammer gun.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:50 AM
I don't have a lot of photos of it, but here is one.
Posted By: AlanD Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 06:54 AM
There was a book published on William Cashmore a few years ago. published in America. I am unable to find the title on the internet though.

Regards

AlanD
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 07:08 AM
I had one, was a Greener made gun. Currently the Cashmore book is listed on gunbroker for 15.00. Personally have seen many Cashmores always well built Birmingham guns.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 01:06 PM
AlanD and Jtplumb, thanks for the tips on the book. I copy is headed my way.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Cashmore built his guns, at least many of them. His letterhead says the firm was a manufacturer of guns and rifles. Kirkwood Bros. in Boston were agents for Cashmore. I have a nice BLE with barrel inscription Made For Kirkwood Bros and having Cashmore's name too. Cashmores were used by Annie Oakley and Thomas Marshall, the2-time winner of the Grand American Handicap in 1897 and 1899. For his second win, Cashmore presented him with a fancy Nitro model. These guns sold for 45-50 pounds in 1900. William Cashmore was still alive and signing his correspodence in 1900.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 02:39 PM
Most of the Cashmores that I have seen are almost certainly made after 1877, when William had passed. I assume his son was doing the work or at least running the company.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:42 PM
Annie's c. 1893 12g William Cashmore sold in 2016
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/3254-394/

Marshall with his Cashmore after the 1897 GAH at Live Birds win

His presentation Cashmore after the 1899 win; Whitworth Steel Tubes with 3 1/4" chambers. Cashmore's Improved Mills System patent No. 17,040 of 1895.

Cashmore's "Nitro Bolt" courtesy of Bro. Daryl

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 03:43 PM
Lots of Cashmore info. comes up in a search here. This shows a highly embellished Cashmore Nitro , albeit slightly obscured by Photobucket.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post459466
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 05:51 PM
Dr. W. F. Carver, “The Evil Spirit of the Plains” was matched against Capt. A. H. Bogardus by the Ligowsky Clay Pigeon Co. in a 25-match series in 1883. He and Capt. Bogardus shot 100 targets each in 25 different cities, with Carver winning 19 matches, three tied, and losing three. He used a hammerless 12b Greener then but was shooting a Cashmore 1897-1899.

Entertaining exchange in 1897 after Carver lost to Grimm

Jan. 2 1897 Sporting Life
Charles Grimm defeats Doc Carver in Chicago for the “Cast Iron Metal” using a 12-bore L.C. Smith gun, 7 3/4 pounds, 3 3/4 drams Schultze, l 1/4 ounce No. 7 shot, in U.M.C. Trap shell.
(1 1/4 oz. 3 3/4 Dr. Eq. (1330 fps) in an 8# gun = 29 ft/lbs free recoil)

Jan. 30 1897 Sporting Life
Letter from Carver re: J. “147” L. Winston, “The Wizard of the West”, St. Louis representing Austin Powder Co.
Dr. W. F. Carver wrote a funny letter in a Chicago journal last week, in which he states that Winston could not kill good birds because he had a cheap American machine made gun, and if “147” had used the same kind of imported gun that he did the matches would have been closer. Will Dr. W. F. Carver kindly explain why Charles Grimm, using the same kind of machine made gun (L.C. Smith) as Winston did, managed to kill 98 out of 100 live birds and take the “Cast Iron Medal” away from him? In this match Grimm used the American machine made L.C. Smith gun, while Carver used an imported gun that he advertises free when he gets a chance.
Now if Carver’s gun is so much better than Grimm’s why did he not kill more birds? or was it because the cashless (Carver used a Cashmore) gun was only good on hard, fast zig-zig screamers, and not adapted for soft easy duffer birds? The “Evil Spirit” had better think again.

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 07:13 PM
Cornell Pubs has 3 Cashmore reprint catalogs
https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-cashmore.php
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 07:18 PM
Some pics, compliments of RM Bill, especially for those of you that, like me, did not know anything about the Cashmore Nitro.

Crazy strange action and an amazing piece of wood.

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 07:25 PM
Interesting infro. c. 1889. Cashmore started the "long forcing cone" movement!!
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Number=157869

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6216763/285595

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/07/20 07:29 PM
Cool info. That would be William Cashmore 2.0, however.
Posted By: 6878mm Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/08/20 08:56 PM
I have just bought the book on Gunbroker mentioned in one of the posts
I`ll let know what its like when I get it
I have several casmores
Posted By: moses Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/09/20 08:44 PM
Thanks 6878mm.
If there is any serial No dating charts in there, that info would be most handy to know.

I have a hammer Cashmore that looks just like yours Brent and as far as I have been able to so far ascertain, it was manufactured in the 1940's.

It was part of the estate of a sheep station owner out of Swan Hill. Victoria. Au.

O.M
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/09/20 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: moses
Thanks 6878mm.
If there is any serial No dating charts in there, that info would be most handy to know.

I have a hammer Cashmore that looks just like yours Brent and as far as I have been able to so far ascertain, it was manufactured in the 1940's.

It was part of the estate of a sheep station owner out of Swan Hill. Victoria. Au.

O.M

That recently? I would have guess early 1900s. Mine is stamped for Christchurch. Sure do like the fit and feel of that gun.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Cashmore collectors - 11/10/20 02:01 AM
If it is the reprint of their catalog it won’t have any information pertinent to dating.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com